The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 9, 2009, 05:21 AM   #1
Devils Own

Malcolm Scope

G'day Everybody

I normally hang around on Lee Enfield and Milsurp boards but I have a question that I wonder if any of you guys could answer.

I have an original Malcolm scope that I am trying to value. It is of no use to me for putting on a Lee Enfield and I will be shipping it out in due course.

It is a .75 diameter, 23 inches long, probably around 8-10X. It has Wm Malcolm imprinted nearer the eyepiece end and a number (I think it is 2096 - I haven't got it with me at the office - and a number 1 below that). It has screw it lens/dust covers. These dimensions would make this one of the earlier target scopes made between 1855-1875.

It does not have the original mounts but I have some Winchester No.1 grasshopper spring mounts for it iand mounting blocks if anybody needed them. Its probably best to sell without?

Does anybody have an idea of the true value of this scope and the best place to find a new home for it?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Steve
Old December 9, 2009, 08:45 AM   #2
Jim Watson

I haven't a clue, but would show it off on the Shiloh board at
http://www.shilohrifle.com/forums/
Old December 9, 2009, 08:59 AM   #3
fineredmist

You might contact:

Parsons Scope Service
www.parsonsscope service.com
[email protected]

They repair vintage scopes and they may be able to give you some good information.

An odd coincidence, I just installed a reproduction Malcolm on a reproduction 1885 High Wall and really like it.