The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 7, 2010, 06:06 PM   #51
OldFool

The reason for the purchase of the spaghetti shooter was/is completely political, and has/had nothing to do with the quality of the weapon/ammunition. The bozos in DC do not care about the efficiency or effacacy of the junk they buy for the military. They just cancelled the best fighter plane in the world (F-22) and killed the second source for F-35 engines.
The beretta is a ridiculous, cheap, ineffective weapon.
Old February 7, 2010, 06:08 PM   #52
The Canuck

I was issued a SIG P226 in The Army. The pistol was very reliable and easy to operate and maintain. When time is a precious comodity, being able to quickly and easily fieldstrip and clean with a simple inline Browning action can mean a lot. I also found that the P226 was quite accurate and much quicker to bring into action from Condition 2 than the "M9" I got to use in Wpns Fam (very important when you are going through a sixth story window). Also, 20 round magazines... yup, 20 round magazines.
Old February 7, 2010, 08:21 PM   #53
Homerboy

Quote:
The reason for the purchase of the spaghetti shooter was/is completely political, and has/had nothing to do with the quality of the weapon/ammunition. The bozos in DC do not care about the efficiency or effacacy of the junk they buy for the military. They just cancelled the best fighter plane in the world (F-22) and killed the second source for F-35 engines.
The beretta is a ridiculous, cheap, ineffective weapon.
My Uncle brought home a 1911 from Vietnam. This thing rattles like baby toy, and it looks like it had been at Iwo Jima. Military guns are abused far more than the original poster indicates he wants to use his for, and the Beretta 92 is one of the most tested weapons ever, being issued to the US military, as well as countless police departments. Statements like yours are just dumb. What did you even do in the Navy? Not many pistol rounds being fired downrange by Navy guys (at least compared to other service branches).

As for me, I own THREE Beretta 92's. Never a malfunction of any kind, and thet feel like they were made to sit in my hand. I am deadly accurate with them, as well. I owned a 226 once, and it was nice, but the manual of arms is backwards when compared to my 92's and 3rd gen S&W's. I sold it for another 92. And the cost of them does not justify their purchase. They should not be $200 more than the 92.

And I get the feeling you're still bitter about the 1911 losing the contract. Your screen name kind of gives it away.
Old February 7, 2010, 09:54 PM   #54
dondavis3

OldFool
Your posts prove your name.
Old February 7, 2010, 10:40 PM   #55
XD45Compact

I previously owned 2 separate P226's....since sold.

My Beretta 92FS has never had a single failure of any kind whatsoever in countless brands and/or types of 9mm ammunition....wish I could say the same for each of the Sig's I've owned in the past. In additon, the 92FS I currently have was more accurate then either of the Sigs. Granted, the 92FS isn't your most ideal CARRY pistol...nor did I purchase it expecting it to be.
XD45 Compact * XDm 9mm * XD9 SubComp * Fusion PRO-Series ELITE Custom 1911 * Fusion Custom 1911 Scout Elite 45 ACP * STI Trojan 9mm 1911 * Ruger GP100 4" .357 * S&W 642 Centennial * Beretta 92FS INOX * Mossberg 930SPX 12ga. * Stag Arms AR-15 Model-2H & 5H * Savage BAS LE - .308 * '09 Savage Weather Warrior .308
Old February 8, 2010, 02:16 PM   #56
IM_Lugger

beretta

I had both Beretta 92 and SIG 226.

Ended up selling the Sig and kept the Beretta. maybe I got a lemon but the 226 wasn't that reliable but the built quality was good. Either way my 92 has always been 100% and quality is great too!
Old February 10, 2010, 02:14 AM   #57
2ndamd

I sold my 226 after it went back to Exeter NH 3 times for a slide stop issue. It was the 2nd most accurate pistol I have shot (1st was a CZ 75).

I have shot many different 92's. They tend to be hard to CCW but great guns. Sounds like the 92 would work for you.

I think I might go buy one as well (92 that is).

Last edited by 2ndamd; February 10, 2010 at 02:14 AM. Reason: spell
Old February 10, 2010, 05:04 AM   #58
condition_ONE

I've used both the Beretta 92FS and the Sig P226. Probably over 2000 rounds through each. I have never carried either of them for CCW.

My opinions on them:

I have small hands (size 7 surgical gloves). That being said, the 226 fits my hands much better than the Beretta does. The Beretta is much more rectangular in cross section in the frame area between the trigger and the backstrap. I can shoot both well, but I shoot the Sig better when I am shooting fast vs. just slow fire at a target. It's easier to hold on to and I don't tend to lose my grip.

To me that's the big difference between the two. The safeties are different but handling that is simply training in my opinion. Both guns have okay-ish triggers (when compared to the gold standard of a 1911) and their accuracy is again pretty good. I'd say that each brand is just as good as the other accuracy wise.

If I had to choose between the 226 or the 92FS, I'd either choose a 220 with a SAO trigger group OR if I really wanted to carry that large of a pistol in 9mm I'd buy an X-Five, as it's the only 9mm Sig that they make with an SAO trigger group (unless Sig just popped out a 9mm SAO 226, in which case kindly point me in that direction so I CAN BUY ONE LOL).

The only downside to the X-Five besides it's size is it's cost. Other than that, there are no downsides.

DA/SA, DAO, striker fired pistols and any other automatic handgun that isn't carried in "condition one" exist because it's too expensive to correctly train large numbers of people to operate SAO handguns in a safe and effective manner in high stress environments. So we have 'safety guns' like the Glock because they're simpler to operate under stress instead of being the absolute best tool for the job.
Old February 10, 2010, 09:51 AM   #59
Sturmgewehre

Quote:
In the same post? Really? I've easily put 3500 rounds through my Beretta 96 without a problem and apparently the platform can't handle the .40S&W, or so I've heard. Do you have a source for all that useful information?
Try reading the OP's post, then read mine. Perhaps then you'll see the comedic value.

Also, you posted after my post showing my M9 so obviously I do own one.

Post back after you follow my suggestion above and feel free to commend me on my wit.
Old December 4, 2018, 09:50 PM   #60
joneric70

For what it’s worth , I have both : a 226 in .40 with a BarSto 9mm conversion barrel and a recent production 92FS in 9mm. To date, I have no problems with either, though I’m mulling over mods to the Beretta (G decocker, mainly).”
Both guns have been 100%, so it comes down to feel. While I’m good with both, your mileage may vary. Try them both, and find out where your comfort level is...
"No no no, I went the other road. Six figures, doing business with leadpipe cruelty, mercenary sensibility. You know... sports, sex, no real relationships. How about you - how have the years been treating you?"
Old December 5, 2018, 06:22 PM   #61
TunnelRat

A zombie thread has appeared.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old December 5, 2018, 06:58 PM   #62
magnut

Beretta can do things sigs cant...

casually shoot perfect smiley faces at the range pushing the target as far out as possible.

capable of run and gun action shooting helocoptors with mercs trained on sniper rifles off US territory out to sea.

Capable of perfect hit while rolling around on the ground

And Dont even think about calling someone who carries a Beretta 92fs crazy. Especially if they have long hair and cowboy boots.

Laser sighted capable of controlled banking shots off hard objects to defeat an assaulter useing proper cover.

Capable of defeating an entire building overun by terrorists with overpriced suits sporting HK MP5s, P7m8s, walther PPKs, Steyr AUGS, and enough C4 to orbit Arnold Swartzenegger.

Capable of secure carry by just shoving in the waistband even when Jumping off a building as it blows the roof, hanging by a firehouse, shooting the windows out and hurling yourself through the glass before being almost dragged to your death by the firehouse.

Capable of concease carry on the back of the neck with simple packing tape while still being easily accessable for quick draw shooting.

And there is many, many more examples we have seen through the years of why the Beretta 92fs is the superior gun. Do we really need to continue this debate?

Best thing to do if you ever encounter a Beretta 92 CCW holder is repeat these words......"Thats some heavy shxx your carrying there. 9mm beretta. 15 in the mag one up the pipe. Wide ejection port...no feed jams."

I will leave it at that. Dont mess with them. Dont TEMPT them. Dont call them crazy. Chances are they did a guy in high winds at 1000 yards and maybe 5 guys in the world could have made that shot. It could also be a new york cop with a six month backlog of scumbags he is still trying to put behind bars.
Old December 6, 2018, 11:18 AM   #63
dstryr

You can't be serious?

http://www.dstryr.com/
Old December 6, 2018, 08:26 PM   #64
Cowboyfromhell

I have owned both and the p226 was the one I went with. The Beretta was good but the SIG was better.
Old December 6, 2018, 10:34 PM   #65
Rinspeed

Wow, talk about an old thread.
Old December 6, 2018, 11:23 PM   #66
Rangerrich99

I've owned both. Now I have a P229 in .40/357 sig.

I liked the Beretta for its perfect reliability. Put over 7,000 rds through it over 9 years and never had a single issue. Still have all of my teef.

What I didn't like about it was that the grip was just a bit too large, so after drawing it, I always had to slightly adjust my grip so I could get my finger on the trigger properly. Not that big a deal if I could get both hands on it as I pushed out towards the target, but if I was drawing one handed I had to kind of juggle it a bit. Not ideal.

The 226 was nearly as accurate and reliable (5,000 essentially trouble-free miles), probably not enough difference to make a deal out of it. I felt the 226 had better ergos than the Beretta, certainly for my medium-large hands the decocker and the trigger were much easier to get to.

What I didn't like about it was that the trigger was set a bit far forward and had a considerable amount of slop. Which is apparently normal for the P22x series of pistols. This is not that big a deal; I learned to deal with it in a few shooting/dry fire sessions. It's not noticeable during any kind of rapid fire drills. But it is there.

If I were looking these pistols right now, it'd be a tough choice.

The SIG is just a better fit for me and my hands, plus I know I can get a SRT kit and a IDP Performance trigger or the like (SIG has their own version of the same thing) to take care of that factory slop. But SIG's current seeming problems with quality control plus their reported issues in their warranty department would give me some pause.

On the other hand, the Beretta was more accurate for me, but I'd have to try one of those new short frame models to see if it would fit my hand a little better. Plus I've heard better things about Beretta's warranty dept. On the down side, the Beretta doesn't have a rail, so if you like hanging things off your sidearm, no dice.

Then the SIG retails for about $900-$1200 I believe, while the Beretta runs around $650 NIB, or so there's all those greenback things to think about.

Anyway, those are my two cents. Good luck in your decision.
Old December 7, 2018, 11:08 AM   #67
hounddog409

for what it's worth

I have a 92 I bought back in the 90's. Still never had an issue with it. Not one.

Just bought a M9A1, just because. picking that up tomorrow.

Beretta has been my favorite hg. I have or have owned Ruger's, Glock's, XD's, Sig's, Tauras's, Smith's and a few others. All have come and gone except for the 92.

The 226 is a fine handgun. just didn't like it as much as the 92. Not a Glock fan at all. Tried a couple, just can't like them.

my cc is a S&W M&P 9c. the 92 is a bit heavy, but have carried it on occation.
Old December 7, 2018, 11:29 AM   #68
pblanc

Both the Beretta 92 series and the SIG P-series DA/SA pistols are well-made and reliable. The Beretta wins on price. Magazines can also be had more cheaply.

I do not own a SIG P226. I own two P229s and have long owned a Beretta 92FS. I also have three Beretta Cougars.

The Beretta is a big pistol with a chunky grip that poses problems for some as has already been noted. The SIG P226/229 is also pretty big and chunky, but the DA trigger reach seems to be a bit less problematical and there are more trigger options for those with smaller hands.

The design of the Beretta 92FS front sight, which is milled into the front slide strap, is unfortunate. The sight cannot be swapped and the strap is too thin to safely cut a dovetail into. Other versions of the Beretta 92 series have a dovetailed front sight.

Of the two pistols I prefer the trigger action of the SIGs. The SIG trigger reset can be made quite short with little take-up on the SA trigger by addition of the SRT kit (sear and safety lever). The take-up on the Beretta SA trigger is rather long.

Of the two manufacturers, I tend to shoot my SIGs better than my Berettas.
Old December 7, 2018, 11:43 AM   #69
n4aof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinspeed View Post
Wow, talk about an old thread.
You never know, perhaps the original poster is still waiting for someone to settle this debate (it's only been eight years!)

Of course by now we need to add the Sig 320 to the discussion
Old December 7, 2018, 12:09 PM   #70
jmr40

Eight years ago I'd have said Sig. I've had multiple of both, sold off the Beretta's and kept the Sig a little longer. But I no longer own either and have no intention of going back. In 2018 (almost 2019) you can do better.

Winston Churchill
Old December 7, 2018, 12:34 PM   #71
Pops1085

Jeeze that is an old thread. I'm pulling my comment haha
Old December 7, 2018, 08:09 PM   #72
dgludwig

I have both makes/models in consideration and like them both equally for different reasons. However, I like my Smith&Wesson Model 5906 better than either for all the right reasons: reliability, quality of material and workmanship and generally good ergonomics (for me, at least). However, in terms of magazine capacity, the long discontinued Third Generation Smith doesn't hold quite as many cartridges as the Beretta and SIG pistols do.
Old December 8, 2018, 07:53 AM   #73
Road_Clam

OP I don't own a full size Sig , I do own the 92FS, FNX45T, Glock G22, Desert Eagle 44 mag, Beretta Nano, Sig 238 and a few varied caliber 1911's in semi. Not a brand loyal fanboy to any. All my handguns shoot well, none are poor shooters. It's all me if a spray a bad random group. I handload so I do strive for the most consistent groupings. If I were to offer advice as to your dilemma of "one feels better, but I shoot the other better" I think I would persuade you to go with the Beretta. Reason being is the fact that every time you draw the Sig you will always have in the back of your mind "this gun just feels odd". On the flip, every time you draw your Beretta it feels "just right" in the hand(s). I think over time spent with the Beretta you will shoot it just as consistent (if not more) than the Sig. Remember also, at some point you will want another handgun, then when the time is right just buy the Sig ! Good luck. My Beretta 92FS is a flawless shooter with zero issues. If you to ask me for any Beretta gripes it would only be the very complex design if performing a full dissasembly for cleaning. The field strip is simple, the COMPLETE dissasembly is a PIA. There is NO "perfect" handgun. It's all up to you to prioritize your want's test fire as many platforms as you can than make your best compromising decision. I love all my 22 different firearms, each has pro's and con's. I choose each based upon situational need. Good luck with the end choice.

Last edited by Road_Clam; December 8, 2018 at 08:01 AM.
Old December 21, 2019, 09:01 PM   #74
joneric70

Just my opinion, for all the that it’s worth ... I do, and have owned both the 226 and 92FS. I’m accurate with both, at speed, but my preference is for the Beretta, which is odd because they were just barely phasing them in before I ETS’d. My experience has primarily been with 1911s and revolvers, yet I adapted to the 92’s DA trigger quickly. While my preference will always go to the 1911 first, I have no issues with my abilities with the 92 over the 226.
As always, your mileage may vary. As a wiser man once said,
“Some things are the same, wherever you go. If it feels like more than two fingers, it’s probably a dick.”
"No no no, I went the other road. Six figures, doing business with leadpipe cruelty, mercenary sensibility. You know... sports, sex, no real relationships. How about you - how have the years been treating you?"
Old December 21, 2019, 10:20 PM   #75
TunnelRat

This thread really won't die.
Maintain situational awareness