The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 14, 2013, 12:24 PM   #1
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Almost Season And New Rifle Rig...

I got me a new rig to hunt with... Will try to carry a Remington 742 in .30-06 for deer and hogs this year...

It has a Weaver K 2.5 which I will leave on as it is low enuff power for my kind of hunting...

And just today this gal shows up to remind me that it is nearing deer season...

Just watched and left her alone glad no dogs were out to chase her off...

Brent
Old September 14, 2013, 04:58 PM   #2
BigD_in_FL

Nice rig, but is your shoulder up to it?
Old September 14, 2013, 09:02 PM   #3
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Hey Brent: Congrad's on that new rifle addition to the family. Now all you need is a giant size roll of freezer paper a sharp knife and two rounds of 06. One for that deer back there in the yard the other for ms. piggy. Honestly. You'll like that 742> Easy on the shoulder and everyone's eyes here too._
Old September 15, 2013, 10:30 AM   #4
big al hunter

I have a 742 in 30-06, love it for hunting. You will want a sling for it, but that barrel band sling swivel stud will affect accuracy. You should be able to find one that uses the screw at the end of the forestock.

I think you will enjoy your new rig, Congratulations.
Old September 15, 2013, 11:58 AM   #5
SteelChickenShooter

Season is getting very close (antlerless just next weekend) and I am using some new hardware as well:
Ruger American in 30-06 sighted in with a fine scope.
150gr sub-moa.
An older Marlin 30-30 using iron sights sighted in pretty well. 170gr two inches more or less over the expected range.
And a new Ruger Super Redhawk in 44Mag sighted in perfectly at 43 yards but iron sights. No red dot or scope at this time.
A side note to all you guys that ask about deer hunting rifles: I was at the local Meijer's Store and bought the only 5 boxes of 30-06 they had. There were some 270's and some 7mm and nothing on the shelf at all except 12ga.
So ignoring all the pro's & con's of all the ammo sizes, brands and all the rifles- around here the 30-06, 270's and 7mm appear to be the ones you can find if you need to pop into a store to buy ammo. Just to compare, I have a buddy really bent on using his new 25-06, but I don't see 25-06 ammo here & there like I do 30-06. He has to think ahead and order ahead.
Old September 15, 2013, 12:22 PM   #6
tahunua001

no hogs here, kindof wish they were but then I remember how much everyone that has them, hates them. my hunting rigs are changing a bit this year. I've had them for years but never hunted with them. I'll be taking a pair of AR15s for deer this year.
Old September 15, 2013, 09:58 PM   #7
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I will see if I notice any bad issues with the barrel mounted sling lug...

Being a carbine I expect only MOD (minute of deer) and the PO told me I may get 1.5 MOA from this particular rifle which is fine for a short barrel rifle to me...

Shoulder on right is not problem... Power port installed to left of "pocket" was my fear... Junior fired it 4 rounds and said it wasn'ttoo stout with the alloy butt plate it has... Getting a slip on Limbsaver (returnable) to test it out... Shoulder pad by PAST will follow if I get skeered
Brent
Old September 16, 2013, 04:17 PM   #8
Cowboy_mo

Hope it works for you.

I had a standard 742 for years and enjoyed it a lot. Mine would shoot under 1.5 until the barrel warmed up and then it would throw high/right but the groups didn't open up much.

I suggest you try to find some federal fusion ammo! My old 742 loved that ammo and the reduced recoil was great with that steel butt plate
Old September 17, 2013, 12:38 AM   #9
bamaranger

carbine

I keep looking at your pics and thinking, "that doesn't look like a carbine to me."

Just how long is the tube?

I've always had a soft spot for the old vertically grooved, metal butt Remingtons myself.

Nice rifle.
Old September 18, 2013, 01:17 PM   #10
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Barrel is 18 inches and is marked "Carbine"... THis brings all of my main use guns, M-500 20 18 inch, Stevens 20 SXS with 19 inch barrels, Winchester 190 and this rifle are right around the same short overall length and LOP...
In fact this rifle has a slightly shorter LOP than most of those so I doubt the limbsaver will even require me to cut the stock...

Brent
Old September 18, 2013, 08:08 PM   #11
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Oh Yeah... this alloy butt is a cast diamond checkering...

I can't believe how small the "Remington" is on the plate... Like they were embarrassed of it...

Brent
Old September 20, 2013, 10:52 PM   #12
Keg

Hey dude...yer gonna like that gun....I got a 742 carbine in 06 too....Yours is all original....It'll do a number on pigs....Oh..and mine has the barrel band too....U have to go that route on the older guns....It does'nt seem to hurt accuracy on mine....