The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 21, 2013, 12:10 AM   #1
BigEglockman

Where to begin? Noob reloader

So I have decided to begin a new adventure into reloading. This is something that I have wanted to get into for many years and have not taken the step to do it until now. So with that said I have for several months now done a lot of research and have come up with what I believe to be the equipment I would like. I just wanted to get some expert advice, that is when I came across this site and feel I may get the help I need here. So with that said I will try to ask a few questions and see what additional help I may find. Oh and as of today a new member to the site so, Hi everyone and can't wait to start posting. So will try to keep this short to begin.I am looking at the lee turret press and I am looking into either the Leyman 4500 or the RCBS Luba sizer as far as resizing goes. I wanted to make sure for my glock 27 that any .401 mold will work for this handgun. I looked at lee and Lyman molds and may go with lee for the molds based on what info I could find on them so the .401 mold will be fine for this application. Next I am concerned that the glock is not to have hand loads put thru it ,but from what I have seen it is ok without max loads being produced. I may add a lone wolf barrel to be on the safe side. And any suggestions on what type of bullet to produce? Talking semi wadcutter etc...any suggestions will help answer these questions. Just wanted to get these few ideas out there first for a starting point and sure I will have more to come. Thanks for reading my lengthy post.
Old February 21, 2013, 01:18 AM   #2
Mike1

Welcome aboard!

A lot of people recommend the Lee Classic Turret

Either of those lube sizers should work, and I think the sizing dies and top punches are interchangeable. Someone correct me if this is wrong.

Lot of bullet styles. RNFP, truncated cone, cowboy action type, SWC. The only 40 I have is a SIG 229, and it is not picky on which kind I use, but I generally stick with RNFP or SWC. I prefer a flat base bullet with no gas check.

Article by Mike Venturino in the April 2013 Guns Magazine says he has great luck with a RNFP style RCBS 40-180-CM

Consider a 4 or 6 bullet mold for handgun bullets. Saves a lot of time. Whatever brand you get, make sure you get the handles as well.

Mike
Old February 21, 2013, 01:56 AM   #3
chris in va

Retracted.
Old February 21, 2013, 02:12 AM   #4
big al hunter

Most firearms manufacturers state that the use of hand loaded ammo voids their warranty. It is a matter of legality to protect themselves from the people that make mistakes in hand loads or intentionally load "hot loads". Your Glock will be safe, as long as you stay within published loads and watch for signs of over pressure loads.
Old February 21, 2013, 04:44 AM   #5
Fire_Moose

Re: Where to begin? Noob reloader

Thought I'd read something about not using lead bullets in glocks? Did you slug yet barrel? Can you slug a polygonal barrel?

The LCT is an excellent choose, should be very happy with it. Welcome to the fun!
Old February 21, 2013, 10:49 AM   #6
g.willikers

I tried to read this, but got cross eyed in the attempt.
Paragraphs, please.
Give us old timers a break.
I'll try again later, when my eyes have a chance to refocus.
Old February 21, 2013, 01:18 PM   #7
BigEglockman

Thanks for the reply, sorry I will try to make it so everyone can read it next

post. Didn't think finding supplies was going to be this tough. Lee molds in 40

are hard to find. Can't wait till tax season is over and the supplies go back out.

So I think a .401 mold is what everyone casts to, then resizes from there. I will

Measure my barel width again to make sure this is going to work.
Old February 21, 2013, 01:32 PM   #8
Shootest

I think you are trying to take on too much at once. I would suggest you first learn reloading while buying your bullets, and later get into casting. Sort of like going to grade school before high school.
I think these shortages will go on much longer than tax season.
Old February 21, 2013, 01:40 PM   #9
rajbcpa

...the last shortage of primers in 2008 lasted many months..... this time the shortages have hit EVERYTHING - bullets, primers, powder, completed ammo, dies, presses. - you name it!

That tells me this will continue for 2 or 3 times longer than the primer shortage in 2008.

THIS IS NOT A PRIMER SHORTAGE. IT IS AN "EVERYTHING" SHORTAGE.
Old February 21, 2013, 05:30 PM   #10
g.willikers

How about figuring out what bullet designs, style and weights your gun likes before buying bullet making stuff.
Get some commercial bullets in various sizes, weights and styles and see how that goes, first.
Just a thought.
And Welcome to the forum.
Old February 22, 2013, 12:28 PM   #11
Ronbert

I think I saw embedded in there that the OP wasn't yet reloading and was all excited about bullet casting.

I suggest finding someone to show you reloading and let you reload on their gear while they watch.

While one can learn from books (that's how I learned) there are lots of tips and advice an experience reloader can share to keep you out of trouble. (Which is why I've helped friends learn to use my gear)

Once you are comfortable reloading THEN do bullet casting.

If you try to learn both at once you may never get things sorted out because you won't know what's going wrong.
Old February 22, 2013, 09:37 PM   #12
BigEglockman

Understandable. I just feel like a projectile is a projectile, right? As long as the

projectile is the same weight and shape of a manufactured product. I feel like

learning as much as possible, within good reason is a good thing, right? Just

learning the whole reloading process is a wonderful tool and want to learn as

much as I can. I feel I can grasp the two together, with limited ability to

understand the two together. Felt I could have a better ability to make my own,

Rather than buy manufactured projectiles. Please do understand I am not trying

to downgrade the concerns of the folks here to help me. I am just excited about

learning this invaluable tool. Just am looking to gain as much knowledge as I

possibly can. I extremely thankful for anyone who is able to help me. I just

Wanted to explain myself a bit. I am extremely confident I can understand this

Process and very much look forward to learning from the experts on this forum.

Thank you all for your posts, they really me a lot to me. Oh, and sorry for the

not so perfect English and typing skills. Didn't know there were so many English

Majors out there. LOL. But seriously thanks so much.
Old February 22, 2013, 10:46 PM   #13
Lost Sheep

Look also for my PM (Private Message)

I am not an English major by any means, nor am I a bullet caster or expert in loading cartridges. But I have been loading cartridges for a while and studied hard on presses before I overhauled my 35 year-old loading bench and selected the best gear (for my needs) I could get.

I think what some of the advice you received to learn loading before casting is based on the idea that mastering one skill at a time is easier than trying to to master two simultaneously. For example, learning to swim at the same time you are learning to perform springboard diving divides your attention to the detriment of both. Casting bullets requires a set of skills. Substandard bullets will affect how easy they are to load and safe to fire. Likewise, loading bullets of variable consistency makes learning to load that much more unpredictable, and dangerous. Better to practice loading on very uniform and consistent bullets for safety and accuracy until you have the skills mastered and have proven to yourself that your reloads are consistently good. Then, when you start casting, if accuracy suffers, you know it is the bullets, not the loading. It's simpler that way and you get no nasty surprizes. The relationship between the bullet, the barrel, the loads is complex and most easily studied one relationship at a time.

I see from the tenor of your text that you are excited about the prospect of "rolling your own" from scratch and this is commendable. Reading between the lines, it seems to me that you have the smarts, the enthusiasm and the determination to manage acquring both skills. So, if you really want to, you have my blessing, with the caution of the preceeding paragraph.

Enthusiasm is good. If enthusiasm outraces caution it can be dangerous. Loading is not rocket science, but it does involve smoke and flame and things that go very fast, so take care.

Thanks for reading and please, if I have overstepped any boundaries, forgive me. I hope only to help.

Lost Sheep