The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 14, 2013, 10:29 AM   #1
Ben Towe

Has anyone ever seen a primer do this???***Additional photos***

I bought these fired brass the other day and this primer caught my eye. I can't figure out what in the world would have caused it to look like this.uploadfromtaptalk1360855600759.jpg

*See my post below for the additional photos.
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by Ben Towe; February 15, 2013 at 01:18 AM. Reason: Update.
Old February 14, 2013, 10:33 AM   #2
eldermike

Looks like somone has been dry firing on it.
Old February 14, 2013, 10:33 AM   #3
Dave P

Can't see clearly. Is it pushed in (concave)?
Old February 14, 2013, 10:36 AM   #4
Ben Towe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave P View Post
Can't see clearly. Is it pushed in (concave)?
Yes it is.

Old February 14, 2013, 10:55 AM   #5
Magnum Wheel Man

when you decap, see if it has an anvil... it's possible it may have still fired, but didn't have the anvil to support the cup...

other than that... I suspect maybe the dry firing / snap cap theory ???
Old February 14, 2013, 10:56 AM   #6
CS86

Could that be caused by a load that was loaded really light or no powder charge?
Old February 14, 2013, 11:06 AM   #7
Magnum Wheel Man

my expirience with really light loads or no powder ( with a normal sized flash hole ) is the edges pooch out since the cartridge doesn't push back ( in a revolver, they can often scrub, & not allow the cylinder to rotate )... to me, the primer in picture doesn't look like primer pocket pressure acted on it last, like a light or no powder load
Old February 14, 2013, 11:22 AM   #8
GWS

My first thought was the result of tube fed cartridges with spitzer bullets.....spitzer pushing into the primer. But I can't remember seeing a tube-fed rifle chambered for 22-250.

I would like to see the innards of that primer....how about depriming and posting another show and tell picture......maybe it is a cup only on a for-show only-round (no primer, no powder) and somebody tried to shoot it. I made some of those for cartridge boards and pulled the anvil out rather than use a spent primer that's dimpled. (soaked them for a while first)
Old February 14, 2013, 11:28 AM   #9
chris in va

Fired from a subgun.

Oh wait, it's a rifle cartridge. Weird.
Old February 14, 2013, 11:30 AM   #10
Magnum Wheel Man

22-250 machine gun death to p-doggies for sure...
Old February 14, 2013, 03:31 PM   #11
FrankenMauser

Used as a snap cap.
Old February 14, 2013, 06:57 PM   #12
Gbro

I have used empty cases as snap caps and never saw anything with them that looked different than any other empty case. Every time I shoot a cylinder of .454 Casull I run that cylinder of emptys 3-4 times dry firing.
That primer is missing the anvil or the case has a HUGE flash hole???
Please post more pictures.
Old February 14, 2013, 08:55 PM   #13
Daveylikey

Looks to me like a loose primer pocket combined with a light load. Firing pin strikes the primer and pushes the whole cartridge forward in the chamber, pressure rises and unseats the primer first since it is loose. As pressure rises it seals the primer against the pocket. Pressure continues to build and sets the case back as the bullet begins to exit the cartridge and now since the anvil is free to float around in the extra space the primer ends up concaved since the firing pin is still pushing against the primer. Sometimes you will see this and the edges of the primer will be crushed also if the case sets back forcefully enough. If it was an average load it would have flattened the concave shape back out. A heavier load it would have just blown the primer out of the case. When you reprime the case note how much force it takes to put the new primer in. If there is little or no resistance you will probably want to trash the case.

Might be like everyone else has said too (snap capped). I can't see more than one pin strike in the photo though.
Old February 14, 2013, 09:01 PM   #14
Tooltech

When I first tried my RCBS hand priming tool, I mistakenly put the seating stem in side down. The first case I primed had that exact inverted dome look to it. I never tried to fire it, I just popped it out and put the next one in right.
Old February 15, 2013, 01:14 AM   #15
Ben Towe

Here are some additional photos after de-priming. Note what appears to be tumbling media caught in the primers (I found another dished primer) and in the powder pan I used to catch the primers. Also the flash holes seem to be offset in the brass:uploadfromtaptalk1360908557942.jpg It also appears to have some marks which may be pressure signs. Here are some pictures of the primers:uploadfromtaptalk1360908670008.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1360908697335.jpg

Last edited by Ben Towe; February 15, 2013 at 01:27 AM.
Old February 15, 2013, 02:31 AM   #16
FrankenMauser

Used as a snap cap.
Old February 15, 2013, 03:59 PM   #17
F. Guffey

Concaved, you are not going to believe this, vacuum, the bullet started down the barrel without enough pressure to force the bullet out, when the bullet got to the end of its travel a vacuum was created, with a choice, the bullet could have returned or the vacuum could have collapsed the primer.

Then there was the time pressure escaped through a punctured primer with no place to go, it was one of those deals where the case fit the chamber at the shoulder and at the case head in front of the bolt face, the escaping gas had no place to go but back through the punctured primer hole, the high pressure captured gas could not escape fast enough so the primer collapsed from the center out, and that the story about the primer with the concaved appearance, AND! that is my story and I am sticking to it, as per ALEX HAWKINS.

F. Guffey
Old February 15, 2013, 04:16 PM   #18
Scorch

Quote:
Concaved, you are not going to believe this, vacuum,
Hoover or Electrolux?
Old February 15, 2013, 04:19 PM   #19
243winxb

Large amounts of slow burn rate powder can come back and push in the case body. This happens because there is more pressure outside the case then inside. Never seen or heard of it being done to a primer. [IMG][/IMG]
Old February 16, 2013, 03:10 PM   #20
david_r

I have trouble believing 14.7 PSI of pressure (vacuum is a lack of pressure) would cause that. That is the equivalent of 8 ounces pushing on the back of a large primer.
Old February 16, 2013, 04:39 PM   #21
Gbro

Frank I think you fell out of your hammock!
However I could go with pressure assisting somehow to cause that concave, but vacuum,
Old February 16, 2013, 04:58 PM   #22
FrankenMauser

Seriously....

Snap cap, and a firing pin with a lot of protrusion.
Old February 16, 2013, 05:04 PM   #23
wncchester

"Has anyone ever seen a primer do this???"

Yes. On duds. (NOT my own! )
Old February 17, 2013, 11:35 AM   #24
F. Guffey

David R. Forgive,

Quote:

Hoover or Electrolux?

http://www.johntaylormachine.com/

Many years ago in an attempt to save time I started with a short lecture on listening. I started by explaining Mother Goose stories then stories written by THE BROTHERS GRIM, I explained ‘Once Upon a time ‘ as being the beginning of a story that never happened. I did not assume everyone understood ‘Once Upon a Time never happened’, I then moved on to newer versions of the same story.

Army stories starts with “Me and my buddy we were....etc..” A story that starts with “Me and my buddy we were etc..” is like a story by Mother Goose and the Grim Brothers, it just did not happen.

Navy stories start with “Now here this etc.. Again, it did not happen along with some versions starting with “Listen-up men....etc.. Never happened, just like a story by the Grim Brothers.

About that time everyone wanted to know about the the Air Force so I held one hand out and up, with the other hand out and down and then started with:

“There I was...etc.." By that time most had caught on I added truck drivers, “You are not going to believe this @%#”.

I then explained there are times I will take a liberty and tell them about an event that never happened , it could be a story I made up , it could be a story about an event that has been repeated as fact but was fiction.

As usual everything went as designed until I told them about an event that some found difficult to believe, one ask “Are you for real” without loosing time with an explanation another student said “He did not start with “You are not going to believe this”.

and Scorch ask
Quote:

Hoover or Electrolux?

http://www.johntaylormachine.com/

F. Guffey

Last edited by F. Guffey; February 17, 2013 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Change a M to a W, then I added one "
Old February 22, 2013, 07:54 AM   #25
Ben Towe

Not to resurrect an old thread but I've been away a few days and want to thank everyone for their replies!