The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 2, 2012, 10:26 PM   #1
jambrdly

Broken Mini-14

I was at the range today blazing away with my beloved mini-14, when suddenly it refused to go bang. I cycled the action by hand but it still refused to fire. Moreover, if I pull the trigger on an empty chamber, there is no "click" - just a soft thud. I'm thinking, maybe a broken firing pin?

Christmas is just around the bend and I don't want to splash out the big bucks to have a gunsmith check this out, if there is any possibility of fixing it myself.

Does anyone know of a good site that might list step-by-step dis-assembly instructions for the mini-14? How hard is it to smith this weapon? What tools might I need?

Thanks

JCB
Old December 3, 2012, 12:09 AM   #2
Hylander

The Mini is pretty easy to work on.
However I know of no source for a firing pin aside from Ruger and they will not sell one, not even to a Smith. The pin must be fit to the rifle.
You must return complete rifle to Ruger for a new pin, they will replace the pin and fit extras for $35 each.
Old December 3, 2012, 10:57 AM   #3
tobnpr

Why don't you just take out the trigger group and bolt and check it out?
Simple as it gets with the Mini...
Old December 3, 2012, 07:44 PM   #4
4V50 Gary
Staff

If memory serves me correctly

The Mini-14 takes down like the M-14 rifle. After removing the magazine and pulling the bolt back to ensure that it is not loaded:

1) Let the bolt forward.
2) pull down on the trigger guard. It pivots forward toward the muzzle. Now pull the trigger guard out.
3) Turn the gun upside down. You may lift the stock off the barreled action.
4) Remove the slide (operating rod) spring and its guide.
5) Remove the slide (operating rod)
6) Remove the bolt.

Examine the bolt and pay particular attention to the firing pin. If you push on the firing pin's tail, does it project through the firing pin hole? If you pull back on the firing pin tail, does the firing pin withdraw from the firing pin hole?

If the firing pin is fine, see how freely it moves within the bolt. If it's sluggish, the firing pin channel must be cleaned.

If the problem cannot be attributed to the firing pin, it may be the bolt not locking up. Check the channel and the areas where the bolt locks up. Make sure it's clean. Oil the bolt lugs.

Also clean the track way the slide travels along. Lubricate it.

Also clean the slide (op rod) spring, spring guide and the channel (the hole where the slide and spring guide fits in).

Finally, soak the gas piston and blow it out with a compressor. Make sure air flows freely through it.
Old December 3, 2012, 09:15 PM   #5
jambrdly

I took it to the smith today and he said the problem was that the trigger housing had come loose and that (its a safety feature) had caused the rifle not to fire. I hadn't noticed but when he showed me it was obvious that the trigger housing had backed out of the action (step one in dis-assembly, I believe). He charged me $5 to hit it with a rubber mallet and knock it back in. Problem solved.