The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 28, 2012, 08:29 PM   #1
taylorce1

Mossberg 44 U.S. Property

I'm in the market for a target .22lr to use at a local indoor range. I started out looking at the Savage Mark II FVT, but just didn't care much for it. So I'm looking still for a target rifle I can't find one of these local so I'll have to rely on everyone else to tell me if these are good little .22's.
Old September 28, 2012, 11:55 PM   #2
Strafer Gott

Yes 44US model is a good shooter. Old Mossbergs are good value.
Old September 29, 2012, 06:18 PM   #3
Slamfire

One of the small bore prone shooters used to drag out his Mossberg 44 and his scores were not that outstanding. He bought a new Anschutz 64 and his scores went way up.

The Mossberg is not a top flight target rifle, it is good as is for a low cost rifle. The sights are a bit crude and the trigger is heavy.

Larry Moore tested a Mossberg 144 in the Dec 1956 issue of Guns Magazine, don't know if that is the same rifle, but I found the article interesting.

http://www.gunsmagazine.com/1956issues/G1256.pdf
Old September 29, 2012, 07:42 PM   #4
ripnbst

Look into the CZ. It's not cheap but its one of the best bolt .22's currently produced IMO.
Old September 29, 2012, 08:21 PM   #5
jcwit

I have 2 of the afore mentioned U.S.44 Mossbergs, fantastic offhand plinking rifles and casual target shooting.

If I was going to enter target shooting matches the following rifles would be the ones I would chose, plus it would all depend of the type of target shooting being done. Winchester 52, Harrington & Richardson M12, Kimber M80, Remington 540XR, and possible the Schultz & Larsen model 70.
Old September 29, 2012, 08:35 PM   #6
taylorce1

Quote:
I have 2 of the afore mentioned U.S.44 Mossbergs, fantastic offhand plinking rifles and casual target shooting.
That is what I'm looking for just getting back to basics while I'm living over an hour away from the closest public rifle range. I have a indoor pistol and rimfire range within about 5 minutes of my apartment in Lubbock. I'm not much of a pistol guy but figured I could sling up a little .22 lr and hone some long neglected skills. I'm so used to shooting off of daypacks, bipods, sticks and benches that I rarely just use a sling or shoot offhand.
Old September 29, 2012, 08:55 PM   #7
jcwit

Quote:
That is what I'm looking for just getting back to basics while I'm living over an hour away from the closest public rifle range. I have a indoor pistol and rimfire range within about 5 minutes of my apartment in Lubbock. I'm not much of a pistol guy but figured I could sling up a little .22 lr and hone some long neglected skills. I'm so used to shooting off of daypacks, bipods, sticks and benches that I rarely just use a sling or shoot offhand.
Then you're good to go. Work and practice and find out what ammo this particular rifle likes and you may even be surprised with the accuracy you get. I think you'll be very satisified.
Old September 30, 2012, 08:51 AM   #8
Hunter Customs

Check out the "Guns Forsale" page on my website, I have a Mossberg 46B-B listed on there if that would do you any good.
Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old September 30, 2012, 10:47 AM   #9
Strafer Gott

I have both the 44 US and the 144. The 144 is the upgrade. There are four marks of the 44 US with different features. Rimfirecentral.com discusses Mossbergs, and has links to parts and factory schematics and literature. I really like their bolt actions.
Old October 1, 2012, 01:42 AM   #10
bamaranger

CMP

CMP sold a bunch of 44 US Mossbergs 10-12 yrs ago or so, fair price but no mag. That is the last I've seen sold in quantity.

As noted the trigger on mine is pretty rough.

I read somewhere that Mossberg spent some extra time lapping the barrels, don't have a source for that.

Ours is known as the "gong rifle" and gets shot almost exclusively at the 125 yd disk across the field from the house.
Old October 1, 2012, 01:25 PM   #11
Win73

I grew up hunting with a Mossberg 44USb. It weighed 9 1/2 pounds and had micrometer adjustable receiver sights. It had three front sights, a bead, a flat topped post, and a second aperture. You could slide the front hood off and swing up the desired one. Putting the hood back on locked it in place. The 44USb was produced in 1946 and 1947. It was a military training rifle. Its weight never bothered me as a kid roaming our farm and the land around it.

My brother let his ex son in law basically steal it. I really hated to lose that gun. I picked up one of the 44US mentioned above a few years ago but it just wasn't the same. I traded it off.
(Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
Old October 2, 2012, 08:10 AM   #12
Hunter Customs

Win73,

I've found the flip up front sights on the Mossberg rifles rather unique.
My 46B-B has the adjustable peep sight on the receiver and four different flip up front sights.
My front sights consist of one narrow post, one wide post, one post with bead and an aperture front sight.

I recall in the days of my youth I would see a lot of the old Mossberg rifles, it seemed almost everyone that lived on a farm owned one.
I don't see many of them around anymore, even at farm auctions.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old October 2, 2012, 08:39 AM   #13
Jim Watson

The Mossbergs were stone bargains when the CMP was selling them for $80.
They jacked the price up over $200 for the last lot... and got it. But I don't think that a bargain, it was getting too close to the price of a CZ at the time. Not to mention Marlin and Savage .22s that are good shooters without the nostalgia.
Old October 2, 2012, 10:29 AM   #14
Win73

Quote:
Bob

Where is Osborn? I grew up in SE Missouri, about a hundred miles south of St. Louis. I still own a piece of the family farm, about 26 acres. I wish it was close enough to get some use out of it. I am in Alabama now.
(Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
Old October 2, 2012, 09:10 PM   #15
Hunter Customs

Win73

Osborn is in the North West part of the state, from my place it's about an hour drive to KC.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old October 2, 2012, 09:35 PM   #16
MrGoodwrench

What didnt you like about the Savage? Not a fanboy, just curious.
Old October 3, 2012, 09:10 AM   #17
taylorce1

Just that it felt like a flimsy stock and if and when I sling up that could cause POI to change.
Old October 3, 2012, 09:31 PM   #18
MrGoodwrench

I was disappointed with the stock as well. Its suprising they dont offer the FVT with the accu-stock. The added weight and rigidity make a big difference.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the sling shouldn't change your POA. The barral comes floated out of the box so neither ataching point for your sling should cause any issues. I have a mark 2 that I frequently hunt/target shoot with and have never had this problem.

The floated barral may be part of why it feels 'flimsy' as the soft synthetic does flex a bit, but I've never seen it do so to the point that it contacts the barral.

Do you use a sling at the indoor range or did you have some other intention for the rifle?
Old October 4, 2012, 03:28 PM   #19
taylorce1

Just afraid that the stock will flex too much that's all. The cheap plastic stocks on my Stevens rifles flex all the way back at the recoil lug if I pull to hard on the sling. I'm just afraid I'll be torquing the stock all the way back to the action.