The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old July 15, 2012, 08:59 AM   #1
mapsjanhere

in-state private to private Class III?

I have a local friend who's looking into getting rid of a FA gun he's not taken out of the safe in 20 years. I'm interested, but I'm not sufficiently familiar with the intricacies of Class III transfers. Can we file the paperwork ourselves, or do we have to get a class III dealer involved?
Old July 15, 2012, 12:02 PM   #2
dogrunner

Yes, you can do it and you don't have to get a dealer (extra expense) involved. If you're the purchaser you pay or arrange a method thereof. He fills out the paperwork, includes the necessary tax,prints, CLEO approval, etc & when the paperwork is returned the gun is then transferred from him to you.

Did one a couple of years back on an MP40, indiv. to indiv. took about four months, absolutely no problems. In my case the purchaser paid up front, I signed a bill of sale, & we went from there. I received the form from ATF directing the transfer be accomplished as soon as practicable.
Old July 15, 2012, 01:02 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

Two cautions:

1. Check local and state laws on both possession and transfer of FA weapons.

2. Make sure the gun in question is registered with the Feds (and the state if required). If the owner can't produce a Form 4, Form 5 or a Form 4467, decline the offer.

Unfortunately, some war vets and folks who inherited FA weapons didn't know about the registration requirements, so the guns are illegal. It is always a good idea to check.

Jim
Old July 15, 2012, 06:53 PM   #4
David Hineline

If the buyer/seller do not know/understand the process, tossing $100 to a SOT dealer to fill their paperwork properly can avoid delays.
Old July 15, 2012, 08:05 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

Another interesting situation is where there is an interstate transfer of an NFA C&R firearm and the buyer has a C&R FFL. In that case, a seller, whether a federal licensee or not, can ship/take the firearm directly to the buyer without going through any dealer in either state.

Jim
Old July 16, 2012, 01:20 AM   #6
medalguy

New Mexico is very gun friendly, no state issues. I don't know exactly where you live, but an NFA trust might be the easiest way to do the transfer. Check with Sandoval or Bernalillo County sheriff and ask if they will do MG transfer aprovals. I don't think either will, and I know the ABQ police chief won't, at least I've been told that.

You might want to check with Ron Peterson's or August Arms to see about the signoff.