The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 27, 2012, 12:07 PM   #1
kwhi43

Getting Your Ears Burned

This is a club in Ohio back in the 1940's. It clearly shows the danges of
standing too close to a Flintlock. I bet that old boy had a few choice words.

Old March 27, 2012, 12:29 PM   #2
Edward429451

Thats kind of a cool clip. For a minute there I thought it was me with my Mini-14 pelting that guy with brass.
Old March 27, 2012, 02:38 PM   #3
maillemaker

And he keeps doing it over and over and over!
Old March 27, 2012, 03:36 PM   #4
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Getting Your Ears Burned

[email protected]: I just noticed besides the volintary unibrow removal. {No humor intended.} >What is that guy second in from the end doing with his Copenhagen?
Old March 27, 2012, 04:41 PM   #5
Hawg

He's blowing down the barrel to extinguish embers.
Old March 27, 2012, 04:57 PM   #6
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Quote:
Hawg Haggen said: He's blowing down the barrel to extinguish embers.
I've never seen that done before on a flinter. I have seen it done on cartridge type Sharps rifles at meets though. Hey, I guess I learned something today. Thanks for the clarity Hawg
Old March 27, 2012, 08:02 PM   #7
zullo74

I think he is blowing humid breath into the barrel to keep the fouling soft. I and many others do that.
Old March 28, 2012, 04:13 PM   #8
Sure Shot Mc Gee

What is that guy second in from the end doing with his Copenhagen?

Quote:
Hawg Haggen---zullo74
Two good theory's on why I/we all should do prior to reloading. After watching the film some. I plainly see it's an ideal way to see if a rifles touch hole liner is clear too. I'll have to give it a try next time I'm out at the range with my Betty Lou. Thank you both for your excellent input SSMcG

Quote:
A flexible blow tube may be used at the shooter’s option,
Now that makes sense. "Better safe than sorry." See, I'm still learning mykeal. Thanks for squaring that issue away for me.

Last edited by Sure Shot Mc Gee; March 28, 2012 at 09:17 PM.
Old March 28, 2012, 07:22 PM   #9
mykeal

FYI, should anyone attend any NMLRA matches: the practice is outlawed at NMLRA events.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMLRA Range Rules & Regulations, Range Safety
1090–BLOWING DOWN THE BARREL–There will be NO blowing down the barrel of any firearm during NMLRA matches in any manner that requires placing the head in front of the muzzle. A flexible blow tube may be used at the shooter’s option, provided that the shooter’s head is not placed in front of the muzzle.
It's been debated on this and other forums, and around campfires and potbellied stoves for years. Probably no other subject causes more discussion amongst muzzleloaders than blowing down the barrel.

I'm one of those who believes it's an unsafe practice; I will never intentionally place certain areas of my anatomy directly in line with a firearm muzzle. If I'm serving as an RSO at a NMLRA event, or at my club's range, I'll prohibit the practice. Other than that you may do it if you wish; I'll not reopen the debate here, nor will I disrespect those who disagree.
Old April 4, 2012, 04:36 PM   #10
htshot

He's blowing in it to be sure the vent is open.a puff of smoke will exit the vent.
Old April 6, 2012, 04:21 AM   #11
radom

Most range and club saftey rules are due to stupidity and liability sakes is all. Let people do things that if you can't chew gum and walk with a gun its prohibitied for good reasion too as you will get a twit with a hang fire trying to puff the things up. My self I tend to get a bit agivated when some twit trys to give me the order and drill of my gun as he has no idea of what is state of the gun is. I also stick parts of my important anatomy dricectly in like with a muzzle all the time when I check a bore if its clean when getting the gunk out of the things. Hot range and every idiot on the block I may differ on that though.
Old April 6, 2012, 09:01 AM   #12
Hawg

Quote:
I also stick parts of my important anatomy dricectly in like with a muzzle all the time when I check a bore if its clean when getting the gunk out of the things.
Likewise. Some people are so obsessive about safety I don't see how they ever have any fun. Being safe is one thing but come on people, looking down the muzzle or blowing down the muzzle of a gun you know is empty is a no brainer.

Last edited by 4V50 Gary; April 6, 2012 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Art's Gramma would approve.
Old April 6, 2012, 12:30 PM   #13
noelf2

Quote:
looking down the muzzle or blowing down the muzzle of a gun you know is empty is a no brainer.
AMEN! One more reason I'm not into shooting at events, gatherings, and such. I don't like pointless rules. I clear the smoke out of all my sidelocks and flintlocks before reloading (with the exception of my 10 gauge double ). It serves a purpose, and it's plenty safe. No need to do it unless you just fired it, in which case, it is a harmless hollow metal pipe.
Old April 6, 2012, 03:01 PM   #14
noelf2

Random

By the way, there's nothing wrong with blowing out the vent immediately after a hangfire.
Old April 6, 2012, 03:51 PM   #15
mykeal

Yep. You know it's empty. No question about it. Couldn't possibly have a hot round in it.

A former president of my club was sure his carry gun was empty. Emptied it, counted the cartridges, looked through each hole in the cylinder. Checked it twice, then blew a hole through his television set, a wall in his house, the passenger door on his car, the driver's door and into the outside wall of his garage. To this day, eleven years later, he does not know where that round came from.

The idea isn't that you are or are not 'sure' the gun is loaded. The idea is that you develop a discipline that doesn't matter if the gun is or is not loaded.

I fire my gun, I feel the recoil, I see the hole in the target or hear the gong. You're all watching, you also see the hole or hear the gong. I lower the gun to my hip, held horizontal and pointing down range. I step back from the line with the gun still held horizontal at my hip, turn 180 degrees sweeping the line and the loading area with the muzzle and walk away from the line. That's gotta be ok, doesn't it? I mean, I KNOW the gun is empty - I just fired it. Right? None of you would have any problem with that?

Quote:
Some people are so obsessive about safety I don't see how they ever have any fun.
Hawg, do you really think I'm missing out on the fun of shooting my GPR if I don't blow down the barrel? What fun is there in doing that? I gotta tell you that there are several dozen places I can think of to put my mouth that are a lot more fun than that.
Old April 6, 2012, 06:52 PM   #16
mykeal

The post that this one originally referred to has been removed, so I have chosen to remove my remarks regarding that post.

Last edited by mykeal; April 6, 2012 at 10:13 PM.
Old April 6, 2012, 07:35 PM   #17
Hawg

Quote:
Hawg, do you really think I'm missing out on the fun of shooting my GPR if I don't blow down the barrel?
No I don't. For the record I've never blown down a barrel either. I don't have a problem with it tho or with looking down a bore. As for being swept with an empty gun, no I do not have a problem with it. I don't have a problem being shot with blank charges, reenactors do it all the time. I wasn't singling anyone out, just saying some people are so anal about it isn't funny. Some go so far as to get bent about seeing a gun fired from the muzzle end on video and I have seen a guy that got bent cuz somebody had an avatar showing him sighting down a 1911 from the business end. I wont even get into the loading five in a SA.
Old April 6, 2012, 09:32 PM   #18
4V50 Gary
Staff

Interesting thread. Remember that we should conduct ourselves at all times as if we were in the presence of polite company.
Old April 6, 2012, 11:17 PM   #19
Hawg

Quote:
Interesting thread. Remember that we should conduct ourselves at all times as if we were in the presence of polite company.

Yassuh Boss.