The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 22, 2012, 12:54 PM   #676
Billy Shears

Anyone have any experience with the S&W 632 who can report what effect the ported barrel has on noise levels?

I had an SP-101 [in .357] a while back that had been ported, but the blast, even from .38 Specials was so horribly loud that I had to get rid of it.
Old February 22, 2012, 01:25 PM   #677
Sevens

It would be an easy money bet that if you didn't like the noise from a ported .38 Spl (18,500 PSI max) then the 45,000 PSI Max .327 Federal Magnum would be, ummm, NOT so enjoyable.
Old February 23, 2012, 06:56 AM   #678
Hammer It

Quote:
really like the versatility of the .327 and have been toying with the idea of another SP-101 in this caliber, but the last three examples I've held were so rough and poorly finished that I've been holding off. Gritty, heavy triggers, lots of machine marks, blah. What's happening in Prescott these days?
Hello
That has pretty Much been my Take on Most Rugers. They are way to Massive & Huge for the cartridges intended in them due to their Cast Investment style of gun Making compared to S&W's Hammer coined forged process, Ruger's have to be made like that. S&W has found you do not need to build a Brick or club if you forge and coin the guns during the process of Manufacture, as the coining process closes the moleculure pores of the high carbon steel which makes them stronger in smaller profile form. Ruger does not invest the time nor more expensive process in their gun manufacturing, so Ruger's are over built because they have to be as Cast Investment guns are not as strong as Forged guns. Most Feel Ruger makes their guns the way they do to be stronger than S&W's but that is False, as no Gun company likes to give away the extra Metal involved in making a Gun unless they have to, and in the case of Cast Investment it is Far cheaper to make them that way than to Forge and coin the forgings when building the guns. The triggers on all Ruger's I have had are just Plain Lousy with lot's of Gritty Trigger creep and Massive trigger pull weight, that is why I only have S&W's in my safe, and I have not seen any solid proof that Ruger's are more durable than S&W's only heavier and more massive in size and gun weight.
Old February 23, 2012, 03:35 PM   #679
FrankenMauser

HammerIt, I understand your point of view, but my experience has been different.

S&W's triggers used to be better from the factory, but they're just as crappy as anyone else's now. Ruger's revolver triggers used to be terrible from the factory, but now they're some of the best triggers you'll find on a production gun from one of the big manufacturers.

Barackalypse Ruger triggers are bad, but post-2010 production guns are now better than the pre-2008 guns.

Then, of course, there's durability...
I own one S&W. It's a .38 Special +P 642-2 LadySmith. It has had less than 100 rounds put through it, and is already out of time. That model is an aluminum frame revolver, but the timing issue has nothing to do with the frame. It has more to do with S&W not maintaining the same QC level they used to. The MIM parts they are using might be of superior quality, when compared to companies like Kimber and Taurus; but they aren't being fitted as well as the old forged and milled parts. Because of that, they wear much faster (not having polished surfaces), and aren't as precise.
...They ain't what they used to be.

(Depending on the day, I might consider Taurus and Charter Arms revolvers to be superior to S&W's offerings from the last decade. )
Old February 24, 2012, 12:26 AM   #680
Sevens

Quote:
(Depending on the day, I might consider Taurus and Charter Arms revolvers to be superior to S&W's offerings from the last decade. )
Go see a doctor. Possible brain rot.
Old February 24, 2012, 04:41 AM   #681
FrankenMauser

Will do.

Old February 25, 2012, 12:35 AM   #682
Crankylove

Quote:
Go see a doctor. Possible brain rot.
Cornbush and I dropped him on his head when he was young.............a lot.
Old February 27, 2012, 07:54 PM   #683
12GaugeShuggoth

Perhaps I've missed it (maybe even probably) but have there been any detailed cases of the .327 being used in self defense since its' introduction? I'm hoping to get one at some point regardless, but would be interested to see any info from real world use.

---Enlightenment is the ability to take infinite pains---
MOLON LABE
Old February 27, 2012, 11:13 PM   #684
FrankenMauser

Quote:
have there been any detailed cases of the .327 being used in self defense since its' introduction? I'm hoping to get one at some point regardless, but would be interested to see any info from real world use.
There have been no cases that we are aware of.
Old February 28, 2012, 12:08 PM   #685
Glenn E. Meyer

I was looking at my 10/22 yesterday and thought that it's a neat little rifle. Also, that we had a thread with the usual blather about whether a 22 rifle would be a good SD tool (typical rants).

However, I want thinking that one could strenghten the basic 10/22 size frame with perhaps a box mag instead of the rotary in 327 and that would be a neat little rifle.

As far as SD shootings with the 327, it would all be about shot placement before we could decide anything.
Old February 28, 2012, 01:18 PM   #686
shortwave

Hmmm...

...a 10/22/// M1 Carbine style rifle chambers in .327.

Sounds interesting.
Old February 28, 2012, 01:25 PM   #687
Sevens

That's pretty much it -- it would be an M1 Carbine, but with a rimmed case. It's like re-inventing the wheel, but doing it with blocks.

A lever action rifle, now that's a different story.
Old February 28, 2012, 03:55 PM   #688
FrankenMauser

Quote:
That's pretty much it -- it would be an M1 Carbine, but with a rimmed case. It's like re-inventing the wheel, but doing it with blocks.

A lever action rifle, now that's a different story.
I still think a 77/327 would be a great rifle, but do fully support the lever action concept.

I've been keeping my eyes out for a beat-to-death 77/22 Hornet or 77/44, to convert to .327; but nobody ever sells them. And if they do, the shop still wants MSRP for the POS.
A new breech block (forward half of the "bolt"), .22 Hornet magazine feed lip modification, and a barrel should be all that would be needed. ...if I ever find a donor.
Old February 28, 2012, 04:31 PM   #689
Glenn E. Meyer

My thought was that it would be a nice match for my 632. I don't want a M-1. Well, I might but not in this discussion.
Old March 2, 2012, 09:42 AM   #690
lincoln5

I was wondering was if any posters in this thread have had the S&W 632 pro series model long enough (and put enough rounds through it) to put some wear and tear on it and how has it held up?

Last edited by lincoln5; March 4, 2012 at 09:11 AM.
Old March 2, 2012, 07:39 PM   #691
tjh

327 mag/ 77

Been told by several [ expert ] gunsmiths that the Ruger 77 / 22h/44/357/ rimfire will not hold the pressure . Want to build a Ruger 77 in 5mm rem rimfire but they say its too much pressure also. BUT a rifle of that size would be great in 327 .
Old March 2, 2012, 11:34 PM   #692
Low Friction

Primed 327 Brass

Has anyone purchased from Brassman Brass? Looks like they have a pretty good deal on new primed 327 Fed brass.

http://store.brassmanbrass.com/servl...-PRIMED/Detail
Old March 3, 2012, 03:40 AM   #693
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Been told by several [ expert ] gunsmiths that the Ruger 77 / 22h/44/357/ rimfire will not hold the pressure . Want to build a Ruger 77 in 5mm rem rimfire but they say its too much pressure also.
I don't buy it. I think they're shooting from the hip, and never bothered to actually check it out. A few quick calculations will give you a general idea of whether it will work.

The .327 Federal runs 45,000 psi.
The .44 Mag runs 36,000 psi.
The .357 Mag runs 35,000 psi.
The .22 Hornet runs 45,000 psi (same as .327 Federal).
The 5mm Remington Mag runs 33,000 psi (quite high for a rimfire).
And, for comparison, the .22 WMR runs 24,000 psi.

Bolt thrust with those cartridges would be:
.327 Federal - 4,970 lbs
.44 Mag - 7,469 lbs
.357 Mag - 5,321 lbs
.22 Hornet - 4,329 lbs
5mm Rem - 2,720 lbs
.22 WMR - 1,673 lbs

Force exerted on the chamber walls would be approximately:
.327 Federal - 47,642 lbs
.44 mag - 51,685 lbs
.357 Mag - 41,673 lbs
.22 Hornet - 50,893 lbs
5mm Rem - 21,480 lbs
.22 WMR - 6,040 lbs

The .44 Mag exceeds the .327 Federal in both regards, and .327 nearly matches the .22 Hornet. I would have absolutely no reservations about putting the .327 Federal in a centerfire model.

As for the 5mm Rem... I probably wouldn't chamber it in one of the old v-block-barrel rimfire versions of the 77/22; but I wouldn't hesitate to convert one of the newer threaded versions (they're all heat treated, threaded, and torqued now) or one of the centerfire models.
Old March 3, 2012, 07:29 AM   #694
Crosshair

Exactly, the 327 may be much higher pressure, but the case head area is MUCH smaller.

Good work on the math FrankenMauser.
Old March 12, 2012, 09:46 PM   #695
Steve1

Reloading dies for 327 fed mag

Good evening gents I purchased a Blackhawk SS .327 Fed Mag over the weekend. Being the weather is sooo crappy I would like to reload this. What dies are everyone using ? Lee suggests getting the .32 H&R mag dies. Are these OK to use I guess they don't have a specific 327 die set ? Also one last question what about brass . The 32 H&R brass can you use this brass or is this not recommended ? 327 fed brass is hard to come by. Thanks in advance for any replies. Steve
Old March 13, 2012, 12:14 AM   #696
FrankenMauser

Congrats, the .327 Blackhawk is a fun combination.
We have a load data thread here: http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=454312

The Blackhawk will safely fire .32 S&W, .32 S&W Long, .32 H&R, and .327 Federal. Some shooters also successfully fire .32 Auto (including me), but I can't recommend it to an inexperienced shooter.

RCBS, Lee, Redding, Lyman, and Hornady .32 H&R dies will work perfectly well. (I use a combination of Lyman, Lee, Redding, and RCBS dies to reload for my Blackhawk, for everything from .32 Auto to .327 Federal.)
CH4D dies will also work, but are a bit more expensive.

Although I have a decent amount of .32 Auto and .32 S&W brass, I don't load them often. The long jump from the case mouth to the cylinder throat can lead to unpredictable performance (poor accuracy, or losing the gas seal too soon). I have found the best performance and predictability to come from .32 S&W Long, .32 H&R, and .327 brass.

Last edited by FrankenMauser; March 13, 2012 at 12:20 AM.
Old March 13, 2012, 11:27 AM   #697
Steve1

FrankenMauser Thanks for the link and also the info on using dies. Steve
Old March 13, 2012, 02:47 PM   #698
willr

I have been reloading .327 mag with Lee .32 H&R magnum dies for some time and have had great success with the combination. Also note that I was even able to use the H & R mag Lee Factory Crimp for the .327. Was able to buy some new .327 cases from Midway recently.

willr
Old March 13, 2012, 02:53 PM   #699
Steve1

Willr Thanks for letting me know about Lee dies. That's what I was planning to purchase for my Turret press. I see Midway is out of brass but I'm sure they'll get some in the near future.
Old March 14, 2012, 07:11 AM   #700
Hammer It

Quote:
Willr Thanks for letting me know about Lee dies. That's what I was planning to purchase for my Turret press. I see Midway is out of brass but I'm sure they'll get some in the near future

Hello Steve1
I have always used a set of Lee dies for the .32 S&W Long Cartridge to load for my .32 S&W Long rounds as well as my .32 H&R Magnum and Federal .327 Magnum rounds as it works with all Three calibers just fine... Hammer It