The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 5, 2011, 10:18 PM   #1
cloud8a

Still wondering about my CVA Frontier/Mountain

A few years ago I started a thread about my CVA Frontier/ Mountain. I am still wondering why I have not seen any other quite like it. The barrel is smooth and shiny without grain, nickel. It has double triggers but the trigger guard is not similar to the one other Frontier I have seen. The sights are like that on a few mountains. With the nickel barrel and sights as well as the stock color I just have not come across any that look like this one.
Does anyone have any old catalogs from CVA that might list this style? The barrel deos not say anything indicating if it is from Spain or U.S. make.
Here is the link to my old post with photos of the gun.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...14&postcount=8
Old April 5, 2011, 11:20 PM   #2
cloud8a

One of the main things of confusion is that the barrel does not say that it is a Frontier or Mountain like all the others I have see.
Old April 5, 2011, 11:35 PM   #3
arcticap

It's unknown if the nickel finish was factory applied or not, but it's not very difficult to have an item chrome or nickel plated at a plating shop which could mean that the barrel has a one of a kind finish.

Quote:
It has double triggers but the trigger guard is not similar to the one other Frontier I have seen.
Its trigger guard looks exactly the same as on my two Frontiers that I previously posted photos of.

Traditions currently sells the Frontier rifle as a kit which was reintroduced after being discontinued for a number of years.

It's the next to last kit:

http://www.possibleshop.com/rifle-kit.html

It is basically the same as the kit rifle with a different sight, but with a low serial number indicating that it was an early model.

Last edited by arcticap; April 6, 2011 at 09:59 AM.
Old April 5, 2011, 11:43 PM   #4
cloud8a

Do you think if someone had it nickel plated it would have covered up the model? Did CVA have a nickel barrel? When did the When did CVA start making Frontiers. Sorry I just find this all interesting and enjoying learning details from you guys who know about these things. I am a big researcher.

Also when you say early, I assume it is U.S. made. Is this true?
Old April 5, 2011, 11:55 PM   #5
arcticap

The CVA Frontier rifle is not listed in the 1980 Gun Digest.
The CVA Mountain rifle was listed in it and a photo shows that it had the same rear sight that's on your rifle.
Maybe the same rear sight was used on your Frontier because it was an early model and the CVA manufacturer already had the sights in stock to install.
So your Frontier rifle was made sometime after the 1980 Gun Digest was printed.

Last edited by arcticap; April 6, 2011 at 09:56 AM.
Old April 6, 2011, 04:39 AM   #6
l.cutler

It looks exactly like my Frontier rifle except mine is flint and has a browned barrel. Yours was obviously a kit, the light colored "hardwood" stock has not been stained. I would have to check to be sure but I don't believe mine has Frontier marked on the barrel either. As far as USA made, at least most if not all of the parts are made in Spain. I would say it is a typical CVA Frontier kit that the barrel was left in the white or plated.
Old April 27, 2011, 01:38 AM   #7
cloud8a

The jag head unscrews revealing thread for other attachments as well as a screw for pulling the ball in case of dry load.