The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 17, 2009, 04:43 PM   #1
Farmland

45-70 lever rifle - reloading

Well I have wanted one of these for a long time and now I have a Marlin 45-70. I should be able to make good use for the 1,500 pieces of brass that I have from shooting my Springfield.

I have never reloaded the 45-70, I have been thinking about doing it for the Trapdoor but just never got around to it. But this marlin is so fun to shoot I have to give reloading a try for it.

I shot a box of Remington 405 soft points and Hornady Leverevoution 325 FTX through it today. The Hornady sure has some more recoil to it.

What is a good mix for bullet type / weight and powder. I will figure up my own load with the components. However this sure is a fun gun to shoot and should be a nice tractor companion gun.
Old October 17, 2009, 04:56 PM   #2
Edward429451

What I have learned for loading for my 1895G is that It likes fat bullets (.460) and it looooves the Lyman 400 gr FP, and it loves RX7 powder (or RL7 depending on how you write it)

I have a 350 gr gascheck mould that it likes also.
Old October 17, 2009, 06:05 PM   #3
Ozzieman

Penn bullets make some great cast bullets for your gun. Check them out.

http://www.pennbullets.com/4570/4570-caliber.html

Hodgdon has a very good listing of lever action loads for the 45/70. I like 4895.
http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp
Old October 17, 2009, 08:10 PM   #4
Farmland

I actually live close to Penn Bullets, if you can call a 45 minute drive close. I bought the 1895 GS.
Old October 18, 2009, 01:07 AM   #5
David Wile

Hey Farmland,

I have a Marlin 1895 Cowboy model with a 26 inch octagon barrel that looks like a cowboy rifle should. I bought two 45 cal. RCBS gas checked moulds for it: a single cavity 405 grain mould, and a two cavity 300 grain mould. Both bullets shoot very accurately, and I am now using aluminum gas checks that I make myself. I actually use the 300 grain bullet almost exclusively now for several reasons: it produces less recoil, it uses less lead, and it casts much quicker because it is a two cavity mould. The 405 grain bullet is not available in a two cavity mould. For hunting purposes, the 300 grain bullet is fine for anything you would shoot in my neck of the woods. If I were hunting big brown bears or African game, I would probably then want to go with the 405 grain bullet. The Marlin 1895 will not function properly with bullets longer than the 405 grain bullet. Then again, what cowboys go after elephants and rhinos?

Best wishes,
Dave Wile
Old October 18, 2009, 10:06 AM   #6
Farmland

If I load lead bullets for this gun do I have to use the gas checks? That is something that I have never used so other than knowing what they do I am not sure how they are added in the reloading process.

I would expect you have to match the bullet type with the gas check. Do they just snap on to the bottom of the bullet?
Old October 18, 2009, 12:06 PM   #7
Malamute

The gas checks are added when the bullets is sized. If you're using bullets from a commercial caster, they will either be gas checked already, or not, but you won't be able to add them after the fact. You are correct, bullet has to be designed for them.

Springfield? As in, trapdoor? Your Marlin will take much more potent loads than are safe in the trapdoor. If you load any loads specifically for the Marlin, be absolutely sure there is no possible way to have them end up in the Springfield. Just keeping them in different boxes wouldn't be good enough for me. I would want to be sure they used different headstamps of brass, or some way of absolutely positively being sure that you didnt shoot a Marlin level load in the Springfield.
Old October 18, 2009, 12:36 PM   #8
Farmland

Thank you.

The Springfield has been taken out of service. It is original and is about 90%. It is still a good shooter but with the age and condition (very good) it is becoming more of a collectors item. I have had fun shooting this gun for many years but it is time to retire it.

I already know the Marlin can take more pressure. I woke up this morning with a nice black and blue mark on the shoulder. However not everyone that I knows shoots forty out of their 45-70 in a short time for some fun. Those Hornady loads are hard hitting on the shoulder.

I am looking forward to start reloading for this rifle.
Old October 18, 2009, 02:17 PM   #9
Malamute

I think I'd find it hard to not shoot a Springfield. I like the Springfields. You should take it out once in a while so it doesnt feel neglected. I don't think you can hurt it with standard pressure loads. Collectibilty be danged, you may as well continue to enjoy it. (just my opinon of course)

(More opinion warning!) You also can just load ammo that is safe in the Springfield, and not worry. Big loads are fun,...at first. I load them as bear loads when out in the mountains here, but they arent needed to enjoy your Marlin. The fun wears off in my opinon. Unless you have bears or other large varmints about your neighborhood, standard pressure loads are plenty of fun, and generally will shoot clean thru about anything anyway. Csst bullets will be kinder to your Springfield barrel, in any event. There are some softer cast bullets on the market, and oversize, if needed.

Here's a guy shooting a Springfield carbine with black powder loads at a local cowboy shoot.

I have a couple recievers that I'm planning projects on. First will likely be a 50-70 (1868 action) done up as a Gemmer type sporter.

Last edited by Malamute; October 18, 2009 at 02:57 PM.
Old October 18, 2009, 02:39 PM   #10
Tomas204

Ahhhhhhhh the 45-70 I saw one in Az and had to have it ,mine is a No3 Ruger love this gun it can really take the higher pressures ,I use the RL 7 in mine also I purchased Barnes and some Oregon trail bullets ,it is the perfect brush Gun for me ,I love ta shoot it but it does kick just s a little ,it is a very light weight gun mine was made the first year they made them it has the look of a well taken care of Gun
Old October 19, 2009, 09:58 PM   #11
jeepfxr

Marlin 1895 load

I bought my Marlin 1895 the first year taht they were made. Ser# 00000046. i wrote to Marlin asking for loading info and they sent me a copy of a page from Reloader mag. The load that I found to be very accurate and powerful is 53 grains of 3031 with a 400 grain bullet. It is painful to shoot with the early steel buttplate on this rifle but I have extreme confidence in it with this load for big game hunting.. The bullets are quite pricey so I developed a process where I make my own 400 grain jacketed bullets using 45ACP brass for the jackets.