The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 29, 2009, 10:30 AM   #1
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I guess I do "swing" to target for HD.

Following a few recent threads and seeing today, a post about "in-sight neo" and a following reply regarding sight plane... IT HIT ME!!! I use only a single bead as it is out of sight. It is not blocking my view your complicating my use of the gun. In a full shoulder mount my head is in my very well ingrained position. I try not to swing my gun to look around, rather I move my eyes. No need to have the gun waving around possibly giving away my position. when I decide on a target I can swing my gun and head to the target and drop the hammer. Since I ain't swinging on a 20-40mph dust dove quartering away at 25 yards or better than I don't need the 28 inch barrel. Reduced shooting distance negates that need down to a handy 18-20 inch or so...
Brent
Old April 29, 2009, 01:11 PM   #2
wyobohunter

head on the stock

eye on the ro...er... bad guy
Old April 29, 2009, 06:44 PM   #3
inSight-NEO

The shotguns I use for HD have either GR sights (most versatile IMHO) or a tritium front bead sight only (possibly the quickest). As of now, my main "go to" HD shotgun has the tritium front bead. As you mentioned earlier, the front bead is great for quick sight/target acquisition.

When it comes to CQ HD + aiming (regardless of weapon), the front sight becomes paramount in importance...all else is secondary to me. Hence, having a "front bead only" sight goes hand in hand with this philosophy.
Guns are similar, for instance, to automobiles; in the hands of the sane and responsible, they are generally harmless. In the hands of the insane, careless or malicious, they both become deadly. Blame the person, not the means....mechanical/inanimate objects have no mind of their own.
Old April 29, 2009, 06:53 PM   #4
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Actually for CQ shotgun work I would go "No Bead" but I would lose the little brass bugger in the cleaning tote... A brass bead also adds the requisite "class" to my Mossberg, without it my all black, poplar stock, rattle and jingle 500 20 gauge wouldn't be the gentleman's gun it is...
Brent
Old April 29, 2009, 07:39 PM   #5
inSight-NEO

Quote:
Actually for CQ shotgun work I would go "No Bead" but I would lose the little brass bugger in the cleaning tote... A brass bead also adds the requisite "class" to my Mossberg, without it my all black, poplar stock, rattle and jingle 500 20 gauge wouldn't be the gentleman's gun it is...
Well, I prefer having at least something up front vs. going sans bead...but, I get the gist of what you mean.
Guns are similar, for instance, to automobiles; in the hands of the sane and responsible, they are generally harmless. In the hands of the insane, careless or malicious, they both become deadly. Blame the person, not the means....mechanical/inanimate objects have no mind of their own.

Last edited by inSight-NEO; April 29, 2009 at 11:42 PM.
Old April 29, 2009, 11:31 PM   #6
zippy13

"I guess I do 'swing' to target for HD."
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing (Ba ba doo dah doo…)