The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 27, 2009, 01:31 PM   #1
geoffthesnake

I think my 12ga is broken

I was out shooting trap yesterday afternoon with my remington model 11-48.

It's an auto loader and holds 4+1 in the chamber.
Anyways it wasn't opening up the chamber after it was fired to allow the spent shell to fly out. I would have to pull the chamber open, pull out the spent shell and then close it to let the next shell go in.

I should have stopped shooting when this occured but I kept on.

Eventually it kept getting jammed like this, and now I have a shell stuck directly under the chamber, the problem is I can't open the chamber because the slide you pull back keeps getting stuck on the rim of the shell. And I cannont pull the shell out because the piece of metal that you push up on under the trigger assembly to feed the shells into the feed tube is right under the shell.

I cannont dissaemble my gun any further, I'm not sure if I can take it anywhere to get fixed because it is kind of loaded. The shell isnt in the feed tube, but is directly in front of it. If I had a small enough tool I think I could tyr to push it back into the feed tube, however I don't want to accidently slip and hit the primer and then die or get hurt.

What should I do?

I think if I ever get it fixed I'll retire it.

Thanks for any help!
Old April 27, 2009, 01:53 PM   #2
Ian0351

Call A Gunsmith!!!!

The type of information you're looking for needs to be given by a bona-fide professional, not some hack on an internet forum. The gun is probably safe to transport without a round chambered, but make sure the guy you're bringing it to is willing to work on it. If you don't have the training and appropriate tools you have no business trying to fix a major malfunction involving hot rounds.
Best of Luck!

I am not an armorer, gunsmith or even a shotgun nut, so don't take my word for it; and remember what you paid for this advice!

Semper Fidelis
Old April 27, 2009, 02:10 PM   #3
BigJimP

Obviously none of us can see the gun / but getting that shell out of there should not really not be that difficult - but don't do anything you're not comfortable with - and I wouldn't recommend prying on it from the primer end.... and at least take it outside / point it in a safe direction before you start messing with it.

Transporting it to a gunsmith should not be a problem either - if you choose to do that.

It appears to me - what you've really learned is to clean and maintain your gun a little better / and when you have a problem like this come off the line and fix it .... (re: clean and lube it every time you shoot it ...).

Once you get that shell out - whatever parts are in need of repair or replacement - can be easily done, if any / clean it and lube it and the gun will probably be fine. I see it all the time - but in my opinion, its a foolish contest to see how many shells you can run thru a gas operated semi-auto shotgun before you clean it...
Old April 27, 2009, 04:32 PM   #4
geoffthesnake

Well thanks for all the help guys.

The thing is I had JUST cleaned it maybe a week before taking it to the range and shooting it.

And it has been at least a year or longer since I had last shot it prior to that.
Old April 27, 2009, 05:48 PM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

If the basic design of the Model 11-48 is anything like my Model 58, and I think it is, I've had the jam you're describing.

Annoying as all get out.

IIRC, the best way to clear it is remove the trigger plate assembly. That will give you the additional working room in the action that you need to clear the errant shell.

This is fairly easy for the novice to do, but you need a good exploded diagram and list of instructions.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old April 27, 2009, 06:16 PM   #6
BigJimP

Since you say it was clean - my apologies for assuming it wasn't - but 99% of the time, that is what causes these issues.

Mike makes a good suggestion - if you can get that trigger group loose enough to come out / or give you a little room in there - it will help, but I'm afraid it may be wedged in there too by where this shell is stuck.

Can you get the forend and the barrel off - get a little more room that way ?
Old April 27, 2009, 08:48 PM   #7
Goatwhiskers

The Rem 11-48 is a recoil operated gun, functioning on the same principles as the Browning A-5, except that no parts will interchange. The jam can be cleared by dropping the trigger group. My advice to you after you get the jam cleared is to consider retiring the gun. That model hasn't been produced in many years and certain parts, notably the friction ring, which I think is part of your problem, and the recoil spring behind the friction ring are virtually unobtainable. Good luck. Here endeth the epistle.
Old April 27, 2009, 09:16 PM   #8
geoffthesnake

Well I did exactly as you guys suggested earlier, got the trigger assembly removed, just needed a punch and a hammer, came right out.

Removed the trigger assembly and sure enough the shell just fell right out.

I checked out an exploded diagram of the gun, and sure enough I have two more issues with it.

1) The shell latch is broken.

2) The barrel will not fit back into the stock/chamber of the gun. The groves on the end of the barrel that are supposed to line with the groves in the chamber of the gun obviously DO NOT line up so I basiclly am stuck with a shotgun that is in a bunch of pieces.

So to fix it I need a new shell latch which I found somewhere online for 15$, and a new barrel which is like 50$ or so. However I feel that it is an old gun, and something like this would happen for a reason therefore in honor of my grandfather (It was his gun which he gave permission of me to have once he died.) I will retire the gun.

At least this way I have a reason to get a new pump shotgun.
I was considering one of those Beneli Novas
Old April 27, 2009, 09:18 PM   #9
zippy13

Greetings, Goatwiskers, and welcome aboard...

A great inaugural posting, Bravo!

May I add, the OP may have brought the problem upon himself. Since the gun wasn't functioning properly, why was he still trying to shoot, and load from the magazine? I'm guessing when he said that he was trap shooting, it wasn't at an organized gun club. Shooting trap singles is load one at a time game -- no shells in the mag. They have rules for a reason, and many of them are for exactly this sort of situation. The rules are to promote safety in ordinary and extraordinary conditions. I suspect the OP has never seen a 11-48 owners manual and was guessing about its correct operation. Hopefully this will serve as a warning to others.

Be informed and shoot safely,
Pete
Old April 28, 2009, 10:07 AM   #10
Mike Irwin
Staff

That's the beauty of Remington's basic design, which has been carried forward on many of its shotguns...

Two or three punch pins and the entire trigger plate assembly comes out, and everything on it is very easy to clean and lubricate without having to worry about losing a bunch of small parts.

Old April 28, 2009, 10:33 AM   #11
zippy13

Quote:
Two or three punch pins and the entire trigger plate assembly comes out, and everything on it is very easy to clean and lubricate without having to worry about losing a bunch of small parts.
The concept is far from unique to Remingtons. I was introduced to a removable trigger group by the US Govt. courtesy of their M-1 rifle. Interestingly, the AR-15/M-16 family doesn't continue the concept.

For the shot-gunner who is serious about access to his trigger, there are some guns with true drop out triggers. These don't require anything more than the push of a release to withdraw the trigger assembly.
Old April 28, 2009, 10:47 AM   #12
Mike Irwin
Staff

"The concept is far from unique to Remingtons."

I don't recall saying it was unique to Remingtons. It's not.

It just seems that they were one of, if not the, earliest manufacturer to put it into standard application across their entire line of repeating shotguns. I do think their design is a little... cleaner, for lack of a better word... as well.

Old April 28, 2009, 11:06 AM   #13
zippy13

"The concept is far from unique to Remingtons."
I don't recall saying it was unique to Remingtons.
That's because you didn't and I didn't say you did.
I was just trying to make the new shooters aware that they need not buy a Remington to take advantage of a removable trigger group, that's all.

Last edited by zippy13; April 28, 2009 at 11:40 AM. Reason: hit wornk keys
Old April 28, 2009, 11:36 AM   #14
Mike Irwin
Staff

"I was just trying to making the new shooters aware that they need not buy a Remington to take advantage of a removable trigger group, that's all."