The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old December 3, 2008, 11:03 AM   #1
MatCat58

Montgomery Ward 16 ga sxs

I recently purchased a Montgomery Ward Hercules 16 ga sxs from a little mom and pops gun store out in the country, the previous owner had hacked the barrels off at 19 inches and since this is a 16 ga I would much rather use it for rabbit hunting with my little brother than for home defense. Based on what I have been able to find on the internet I believe that barrels from either a Stevens 315, Savage 315, or a Stevens 515 could fit it. What I can't figure out is which ones I need or if they are all the same.

The only markings on the gun are:
Hercules
MONTGOMERY WARD & CO
on the left side of the lock

and
PAT. APR 20-1915

as well as
16 GAUGE
on top of the left barrel

there is a matching serial number on all three pieces as well .

Thank you in advance for any help you may be able to offer.
Old December 3, 2008, 05:15 PM   #2
gunokie

Why Bother with new barrels? 19" is a very optimal length with modern powder and wads, and it will handle and point faster with the shorter bbls for bunny hunting.
I'd take it to a smith and have the muzzles squared and shoot it as is with 2¾" #6's or #4's if you have jack rabbits or swampers.
You could also have the smith check to see if the barrels are thick enough have screw in choke tubes installed. I betcha a nickle you could have that done for what a set of bbl;s would cost!
JMHO
BT
Old December 3, 2008, 07:06 PM   #3
elrod

Have you looked under the forearm for markings?