The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 14, 2004, 11:21 AM   #1
Dean C

Marlin Model 120 Magnum

I have a Marlin Model 120 Magnum 12Ga. I hadn't really payed any attention to it until the other night while discussing Marlin rifels with a friend and I mentioned the shotgun. He didn't even know Marlin made shotguns. That got me curious so I've been searching the web for info. on my shotgun. Found only 2 or 3 mentions of it but as used for sale only, no real information. Where can I find info such as age, history, value etc.?
thanks,
dean
Old August 15, 2004, 09:45 PM   #2
Dean C

No replys? Seriously I bought it used in about 1982 from a store in Spokane, WA. Fine shotgun, never shot at a bird and missed! (just a little fib). Anyway, don't know much about it and need help.
thanks,
dean
Old August 16, 2004, 12:51 AM   #3
Dfariswheel

Marlin almost always offered shotguns from 1898 on.

The Marlin 120 was specifically designed to look like the Winchester Model 12.

It was first offered in 1971 and various models were made until 1985.
A cheaper version with hardwood stocks instead of walnut was made as the Model 778 Glenfield from 1979 to 1984.

Like most Marlin shotguns, the 120 was a good quality, serviceable, if somewhat uninspired gun.

My value guide is WAY out of date, but it showed a 120 in excellent condition being worth about $300.00.

For more up to date info, check your local book stores for current gun value books like the "Blue Book" or "The Standard Catalog".
Old August 29, 2004, 10:05 AM   #4
Selfdfenz

I bought my 120 in about 77 or so. Don't remember exactly.
They are well made and IMO function much more smoothly than the Wingmasters of that period out of the box. And, they were less expensive. That baby is all steel and has good machining. Smooth. I'm not sure there is a part on that gun that can be broken.

One of the cool things about the gun is it had 3" chambers and is rated for steel shot. The original finish on the wood was a thick plastic kind of junk that turned clowdy when water got under it. Once removed, you end up with a very good piece of walmut that oils up very nicely. The checkering was pressed in and imprecise and I think it gave the otherwise high quality 120 a cheap look and turned people off. Especially when you could pick up an 870 Wingmaster with nice blue and cut checkering for 30 or 40 $ more. Marlin never relly "marketed" their 120s IMO.

I regret the day I sold mine and would buy two in the future if I come across any. One, post barrel shortening, would make an excellent HD unit.

They are heavy to tramp around with.

If you have a 120 in good shape you have a dependable, well made shotgun it's just not too sexy and most will not be familiar with it. A picture follows at this link.

http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/Vie...?Item=22239814

S-
Old September 5, 2004, 10:29 PM   #5
Dean C

Marlin 120

Based on the picture on the link, mine is new. Still the same shot gun but in better shape seldom used. Probably just leave it alone and let it be. At least till I get into bird hunting again.
Thanks for the reply
dean
Old September 9, 2004, 02:07 AM   #6
BurnoutNova

my dad has a marlin 120 w/ a modified choke, he bought it new in 1973. i love to shoot that gun, its so smooth. the only complaint i have is it will only shoot win AA shells otherwise it jams (is that normal for these?), so im almost forced to reload...because of the price. my grandpa had a model 12 which he bought around 57 im told. i just recently started shooting it... and although its a really nice gun, the only reason i like it better is because it doesnt jam like the marlin with cheap shells.

im looking to buy a shotgun of my own, and looked into the winchester model 1300. one of my friends booght one and i was unimpressed with it, it seems "cheap" to me, the action isnt very smooth, and it just feels like a toy. has anyone shot one? maybe ive just been spoiled with quality guns since i was a kid and have a higher standard?

zach
Old September 9, 2004, 10:55 AM   #7
Selfdfenz

The 120 should handle any 2 3/4 or 3 " shell you put in it. Try cleaning first and if that doesn't fix the problem have a gunsmith check her out. To my recollection I never had a jam with mine and boy did I put that thing in harms way dirt and trash wise I can remember one year during it's annual cleaning finding feathers in the back of the receiver. Dove feathers. Must have been there for months.
You may have a worn extractor.

S-
Old September 9, 2004, 06:45 PM   #8
BurnoutNova

i dont think the extractor could be bad, it shoots AA shells beutifully all day, then put one cheap shell in and it jams...maybe it has a mind of its own

zach
Old April 5, 2005, 05:04 AM   #9
solothurn

I was given a model 120 by my father. It has since become my favorite shotgun in my collection. Its in beautiful condition and shoots very well. I have a modified choke barrel for it as well as an imp. cyl. barrel. The imp. cyl. barrel has since met with some damages though and i cannot seem to find a replacement. Modified choke barrels are everywhere for it but no imp. cyl barrels. Anyone know where to find one? Help would be much appreciated.