The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 21, 2002, 03:15 PM   #1
Cris

Shotshell Reloader

I'm thinking about dabbling in the arena of shotshell reloading. I have been reolading for rifle and pistol cartridges for several years but have no experience with shotshells. Over the past couple of years I have become increasingly interested in hunting waterfowl and have started thinking about rolling my own to take advantage of some of the new replacements for steel shot (hopefully at a substantial savings). I shoot a 3" 12 ga, and would like suggestions of a reloader that will handle what I have described. I an not looking to do this commercially, so I'm just looking for a reliable unit that will deliver a quality finished product for a couple of shooters. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Old June 21, 2002, 04:16 PM   #2
rg1

mec sizemaster

Go with the Mec Sizemaster. It'll handle 2 3/4 or 3" 12 gauge plus dies are available for other gauges. It requires some adjustments when switching to 3" but very little and gauge changes are easy too. It has a collet sizer that squeezes the brass back to factory specs. and it does only one operation at a time. You can use the charge bars to dump shot and powder. You'll have to get the right shot bar (shot bars are calibrated to dump 1---1 1/8----1 1/4 etc.) The powder bushing goes in the shot bar and they are different sizes to adjust for different powders and charge weights. You can weigh the shot and powder if you want to. If you get Mec get the "ShellChecker". It is a "go"-"no-go" gage to check the brass when it is resized. It is very helpful when adjusting your sizer collet die. Mec has a good manual for beginners and their reputation and service are Great!