The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 16, 2002, 05:36 PM   #1
Sidetracker

Replacing a firing pin.

I have a SA Champion which has a titanium firing pin which I want to replace with a steel one. Is replacing a FP something I can do at home or should I have a gunsmith do this? I am thinking of using a Wilson "Bulletproof" pin and want to know if anyone has any experience with these or would you recommend another brand? Thanks.
Old June 17, 2002, 07:05 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Sidetracker, if you can disassemble and assemble the slide then you can replace the firing pin. Wilson parts are usually top of the line. I haven't used the bullet proof parts yet simply because no one has asked for them. George
Old June 19, 2002, 08:21 PM   #3
Rocklobster

Want to swap your titanium pin for a new steel one?
Old June 21, 2002, 01:56 PM   #4
Mike Baugh

I would get the Ed Brown firing pin over the Wilson. Brown makes a pin specifically for the Springfield, the Wilson is too small in tip diameter [IMHO]. Good luck, Mike...
Old June 21, 2002, 07:21 PM   #5
Jim V

Remove the slide from the pistol, using a small punch depress the firing pin until you can slide the firing pin stop out of the slide, be careful the firing pin does not escape and hit you in the face. Remove the firing pin and its spring from the slide, pull the spring off the FP and replace it on the new FP. Slide the unit back in the FP tunnel, depress the FP so that you can start the stop back into place, slide the stop home, the FP should snap back into place.

SAFETY GLASSES should be worn.

www.m1911.org
www.1911forum.com
Old June 22, 2002, 12:56 AM   #6
zot

wear eye protection.I put a heavy firing pin spring in a 1911, for a .45 Super try out,24 lb. or something near, was having miss fires , so removed firing pin plate and pin shot out into my head,
little damge done ,BUT if it was a eye?
Old June 22, 2002, 02:26 AM   #7
Sidetracker

Thanks guys.

Thanks guys for the advice.
Mike Baugh
I looked on Ed Brown's web site and they have a special pin for SA 38 super's and 9mm's but it doesn't show one for .45acp. So I'm assuming their regular .45acp pin will work in a SA. I think I'll get in touch with them to make sure before ordering.
Jim V.
Thanks for the very instructive directions. That is the way I thought the pin was replaced, but having not done it before it's nice to know what I'm doing and that there won't be any surprises.
As far as glasses go, I'm very near sighted so I have no choice but to wear them.
Old June 22, 2002, 06:44 AM   #8
Mike Baugh

Sidetracker

The Wilson pin measures .064 and the Brown pin for the Springfield measures .075 . The Brown pin you want is the #826, it also fits the 9mm/38s . Springfields use a 9mm/38S pin in their .45's, the Brown .45 pin will be too large as will the Wilson .45 pin, the Wilson 9mm/38s [.064 tip] pin is too small IMHO. Good luck, Mike...
Old June 22, 2002, 08:30 AM   #9
Sidetracker

Thanks Mike for the explanation.
Old June 22, 2002, 09:23 AM   #10
johnwill

Mike, good information about the firing pin of the Springfield, if I go to replace mine, that might be handy to know!