The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 22, 2017, 04:37 PM   #1
robhic

Universal Decapping Die

I bought an RCBS universal (heavy duty) decapping die. My thought was after shooting more than 1 caliber after a day at the range, I could decap (ONLY!) and just change shell holders instead of switching dies for each round.

I like it but I've broken 2 (!!!) of the replaceable pins (thank goodness!) in that sucker. I never had a problem of ANY kind using the individual decapping dies for each caliber. The replacement pins are like $4 for a bag of 10 (I think) but I don't think I should break any - especially HEAVY DUTY - where the smaller pins in the dies never failed (yet?). RCBS sent me a bag full of the headed pins plus 2 more of the entire shaft assemblies.

Anyone have/use one of these HD Universal dies? I'm not forcing it or using it heavily or carelessly but I am curious if others have had this problem and/or if anyone has any tips to prevent breakage. Thanks!
Old March 22, 2017, 04:51 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

I've broken the small pins before. Grossly off-center drilled flash holes and the pin chuck getting loose are the two culprits. The former you can cull by inspection, and the latter you can address with one of the removable types of Loctite.

I've been using the Lee Universal Depriming/Decapping die for several years without an issue, and its pin is both large and solid (not replaceable). The fact it keeps on trucking suggests to me that loose pin chucks are a major cause of breakage and that Loctite could prove to be a decapping pin's salvation.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 22, 2017, 07:27 PM   #3
briandg

Is the shaft misaligned? Do you hear or feel a click when you use it? Fiddle with it to center it better.

I would Saw the pins off a bit then sand it round. Reducing the length to only as much as necessary will help with rigidity. Rounding it off will help it to slide into the hole if it's a bit off center.
Old March 23, 2017, 12:08 AM   #4
Marco B

Universal depriming tool

Hello Rob.

I use this tool for depriming.

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...depriming-tool

I decap every caliber I shoot from .380 up to 300 WinMag wighout any issues.
Your don't need to change dies or anything.
It comes with three different inserts and is nearly usable for any caliber.

The only shell I couldn't deprime was a 357 Sig because of the small flash hole.
Old March 23, 2017, 11:02 AM   #5
robhic

Quote:
Is the shaft misaligned? Do you hear or feel a click when you use it? Fiddle with it to center it better.
After replacing the pin I put a deprimed case in the die, holding it by hand so I could see. I then snugged the shaft a bit (the pin, itself, is spring backed) with the pin protruding from the shell center.

I left it just a tiny bit loose so it would "float" a bit. Decapped the rest of the shells (.45acp) and it seemed to be OK. At least no more breaks....

Marco, thanks for the link to that deprime tool. I haven't had problems before this with the Universal die and NO problems when decapping using the re-sizer/decap die for the specific shell in the set of dies. But I'll keep it in mind.
Old March 23, 2017, 10:24 PM   #6
GCbroker

I bought the Hornady Universal. Sent it back the day it arrived.
Then I bought the Lee. It had served me well. Then I Broke the pin off.
I went online to look for a replacement and found the
Squirrel Daddy rods. They're super strong. I don't know
if they offer replacement pins for RCBS. Take a look. If not
Amazon had a super sale on the Lee. $11.00 shipped.
I bought a second one. They also sell the Squirrel Daddy pins.
Three for $19.00. Very nice pins. Both worth the money.

Wayne
Old March 24, 2017, 01:02 AM   #7
JeepHammer

Anything 'Universal' means,
"One Size Fits Nothing Precisely".

Punched primer holes (instead of drilled) tend to have a ridge around them inside the case which tends to guide the pin away from the flash hole,
One reason for champfering flash holes...

ANY misalignment between shell holder and decapping pin will make the pin miss the flash hole, bent rods being common...

Since the die body DOES NOT guide the brass centered with the decapping rod, you have to watch, making sure the brass is fully inserted into the shell holder.
One tip is to raise the ram, then 'Wobble' the brass a little before you beat down on the handle.
That often allows the rod/pin to find the flash hole.

Nothing saves you from a Berdan primed case other than not feeling the pin 'Find' the flash hole when you wobble the case...
Old March 24, 2017, 06:31 AM   #8
SARuger

I have been using the LEE Universal Decapper for a long time and on my second pin. I decap 150 cases a week on average. Probably several thousand rounds on the pin so far. I keep several extra pins in stock but never break or bend one. The one I had to replace was worn thin in the middle and mushroomed at the point, I felt it was in danger of sticking in a flash hole so I tossed it.

The Lee seems to adapt to off center flash holes fairly well. Berdin are of course the death of any decapping pin but I have an eye for finding those before they wreak havoc.
Old March 24, 2017, 07:06 AM   #9
turtlehead

Have been using the Lee Universal for about 7000 cases so far with no issues. Bought a spare Lee pin just in case.

Used on 223, 308, 380, 38 and 9.
Old March 24, 2017, 07:49 AM   #10
ed308

Those universal decaps pins work on all of my calibers except 6.5x47 Lupua cases. Tiny flash hole.
Old March 24, 2017, 08:37 AM   #11
RANGER94

I have the RCBS decapping die as well. About every 2-3 years I break a pin. I call RCBS and they always send me a replacement for free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old March 24, 2017, 09:07 AM   #12
robhic

Thanks for the replies.

Quote:
Since the die body DOES NOT guide the brass centered with the decapping rod, you have to watch, making sure the brass is fully inserted into the shell holder.
Good point, I hadn't considered that. Seems now that the pin has a bit of "float" it has worked better. Probably because of what you state.

Quote:
I have the RCBS decapping die as well. About every 2-3 years I break a pin. I call RCBS and they always send me a replacement for free.
Yep, I bought a bag of pins and after contacting RBS they sent me another bag and 2 more decap rods. I now have around 4 rods and 20 pins!

RCBS customer service is fantastic. They couldn't wait to send me free stuff!
Old March 24, 2017, 11:00 AM   #13
44 AMP
Staff

I kind of take the other approach. I never saw the point (other than to make money for the die maker) of a "universal" decapping die. One more thing to buy, screw into and out of the press (single stage), swap shellholders for different cases, just seems to me to be more effort and expense, just to use the press to decap..only.

I use the sizer die decapper most of the time, and when I don't I use the Lee GI decapper punch & base. NOT the one that screws into the press, the one done by hand, with a hammer.

I'm a bit odd, I like handling my brass, and making ammo, I don't do it to see how many rounds I can turn out in an hour. I don't load thousands of cases at a time, but I may do a couple hundred through one of the stages of brass prep at one sitting.

I do it this way, because I like it, its relaxing, and it gives me a direct feel, I can use cases with off center holes (though I do separate them once found), and it lets me examine and inspect each case before it goes through the press.

OK, its "a lot of work" doing each one, by hand, but its my hobby and I kind of like it. Also I can decap a bucket of mixed caliber brass without changing any tools. Not for everyone, obviously, but it works for me...
Old March 24, 2017, 12:20 PM   #14
briandg

That's a good point, several, actually.

If I used one, I'd permanently set it up on my turret.
Old March 24, 2017, 04:03 PM   #15
robhic

Quote:
I kind of take the other approach. I never saw the point (other than to make money for the die maker) of a "universal" decapping die. One more thing to buy, screw into and out of the press (single stage), swap shellholders for different cases, just seems to me to be more effort and expense, just to use the press to decap..only.
That IS my reason, exactly. If shooting more than 1 caliber I only have to swap holders, not screw and unscrew dies, too. I decap while my enthusiasm is still going after a range trip. Then I take 'em all and tumble them for a while, while I clean the guns. If only shooting one gun I just use the resize/decap die when preparing to load some ammo.

Quote:
OK, its "a lot of work" doing each one, by hand, but its my hobby and I kind of like it. Also I can decap a bucket of mixed caliber brass without changing any tools. Not for everyone, obviously, but it works for me...
Yes, it is a bit more work but allows me to start the initial step (decap then tumble) and stop before I get burned out. When I'm ready to reload, I run the cases through the rezize/decap die, anyway, then start the rest of the reloading process. Different strokes, I guess....
Old March 24, 2017, 05:07 PM   #16
berettaprofessor

Quote:
I've been using the Lee Universal Depriming/Decapping die for several years without an issue, and its pin is both large and solid (not replaceable)
As noted by several others, the pin on the Lee Universal Die IS replaceable. It exists in a collet.
Old March 24, 2017, 05:15 PM   #17
Tinbucket

universal decaping dieNev

Never had much problem breaking decapping pins until I started reloading 5.56. Usually it was cleaning media but some off center flash holes
The straight pins of the older RCBS dies sometimes got stuck in primer flash holes, but not that often.
I've also seen military .30-06 with some poor quality control over flash holes.
Military wasn't interested in reloading, in most cases.
I've got a new RCBS Universal decapping die for a ton of 5.56 to process. They have a head on the pin. No more pins pulled out of the die. And a seperate primer pocket swagger.
If they hadn't increased the price on the Dillon 1050 which would have eliminated two more separate steps I wouldn't be worrying with it.
Well maybe I would. I want my cases cleaned.

Last edited by Tinbucket; March 24, 2017 at 05:24 PM.
Old March 24, 2017, 08:07 PM   #18
riverrat38

[ I never saw the point (other than to make money for the die maker) of a "universal" decapping die. One more thing to buy, screw into and out of the press (single stage), swap shellholders for different cases, just seems to me to be more effort and expense, just to use the press to decap..only.]

I don't want to run dirty brass through my sizer die, and I want my brass deprimed before washing. Might as well clean the primer pockets while I am at it.
So, I use the Lee Universal decapping die when I get home from the range. Latex glove on left hand. Then, brass gets washed in a bucket of hot water and detergent. Followed by vinegar rinse, than water rinse. Dry. Does mean that my cases go into my shell holder 6 times before I have a finished round!

Best,
Rick