The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old July 30, 2015, 02:42 PM   #1
olddav

Swiss Vetterli M-78

I have a Swiss Vetterli 1878 that is in bad shape (rust and missing stock pieces) in addition someone cut on the barrel with a hacksaw. They didn't complete the job, just screwed up the barrel. The serial number is 188xxx and all the parts I have have matching numbers. I'm thinking any collector value it may have had has long since went out the window so I'm considering cutting and recrowning the barrel to kind of make it a carbine. In addition I'll convert it to center fire. I guess the question is, What should I be on the lookout for?
Old July 30, 2015, 08:52 PM   #2
olddav

Ok, I'll offer a little more info. I removed the rust using the electrolysis method (if I used the right word) and applied "Perma Blue". It is still a pitted mess but it does look a lot better. Once the barrel has been cleaned I will have to find someone to check it for me.
Old July 31, 2015, 04:49 AM   #3
Mike Irwin
Staff

Remember that this was a black powder rifle. I'm not 100% sure, but I think the M-78 was never transitioned over to smokeless powder. There are numerous iron components in the 1878 that were later replaced with steel in the 78/81.

Mechanically the Vetterli is pretty simple and straightforward. I think that, like in the Henry rifle, the cartridge itself serves to ensure that the round on the lifter will feed properly, so you'll need to be cognizant of that.

How about some pictures?

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old July 31, 2015, 01:49 PM   #4
olddav

I have found some info where a gentleman who is using a centerfire cartage, lead bullet and a modern black powder in a 1869/71 model. So there might be a safe way to convert it to centerfire even with weaker parts. Also I have reviewed some info about the manufacture date and it looks like it is a 78/81 even with the receiver having a M-78 stamp. The web site is stating that the manufacture would use a mislabeled receiver if there was no approachable change in model runs, and everybody knows you can't put something on the web if it's not true.
Old August 2, 2015, 09:34 PM   #5
olddav

I'm afraid I'll have to give up on this project, barrel is a goner. Now I have parts for sale, just got to find a market.
Old August 3, 2015, 09:53 AM   #6
Mike Irwin
Staff

Well... maybe now is the time to go a different route...

Reline the barrel for a smaller cartridge?

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old August 4, 2015, 05:03 PM   #7
olddav

I just can't seem to let go of this project. I performed another 2 hous of electrolysis (with a rod inserted in the bore) on the barrel. It looked better although still a bit of a mess. The one thing I do not understand is the amount of black substance that came out of the barrel. I scrubbed it with running warm water till I could get no more black out of it. Looked down the barrel and it looked nice and shiny. I then let it set over night and ran a patch through the bore and it was covered in a pitch black substance again. Does any one have any idea what this black stuff is?