The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 12, 2011, 12:05 PM   #26
Hunter2678

So all LEO's and their agencies are worthless mnero?
Old April 12, 2011, 01:07 PM   #27
mnero

Worthless; of course not, and like it or not we need them in a country of 350 million people. They are dangerous and I don't trust them, but they certainly do better then either anarchy or military law which are the alternatives.
Old April 12, 2011, 01:23 PM   #28
Tinner

I agree with Jhenry if it was my kids being chased. I would hope someone would have left there comfort zone to help protect them. At least by reporting to the Police what was happening.
Old April 12, 2011, 02:26 PM   #29
Skadoosh

Quote:
A Wise man once told me after I received my carry permit
"Son, just remember that card didn't come with a badge and cuffs or a secret decoder ring".
A CCW has nothing to do with this. A call to 911 should have been made. Making that call doesnt make you a cop...it makes you a concientious and law-abiding citizen. A tazer is, at a minimum, a debilitating weapon. And how it was being used by these persons was easily reckless endangerment. That situation the OP witnessed definitely warranted a call to the 911.
Old April 12, 2011, 05:31 PM   #30
therewolf

The guy with the tazer didn't know what he was up to.

EVERY time you cycle the tazer, going "BZZZZZTT" you're

scorching the contacts with thousands of volts of juice.

This wear is cumulative and gets more severe with every

cycle.

Sure hope that clown actually has an effective tazer when he needs it...

(Or do I?)

That said, OP, IMO you had a good grip on the situation.

Highest marks for situational awareness!!
Old April 13, 2011, 01:55 PM   #31
garryc

Quote:
A child being chased by a thug with a stun gun is assault...call the police and tell them what you saw...Rod
In Ohio it would be called Aggravated Menacing. Now if they cops show up and the kids say they knew the thugs were just messing around, and they were not afraid and didn't fear harm, no case.

At the very least the cops get a free pat down on the thugs.
Old April 13, 2011, 01:58 PM   #32
LouCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnero View Post
Worthless; of course not, and like it or not we need them in a country of 350 million people. They are dangerous and I don't trust them, but they certainly do better then either anarchy or military law which are the alternatives.
Wow...what a way to go through life!

Sent from my kick ass HTC EVO!
Old April 13, 2011, 03:28 PM   #33
markj

I would have said something to the 4 kids.

Years ago I was driving down the street on my motorcycle, 4 large guys were piling on a teen boy. I got off the scoot and told my girl to go and call 911 was before cell phones. I got them off that boy, 2 got banged up but what the heck it was a kid in trouble. Cops show up, kid was in a home and tried to run away. Cops told them men they cannot dog pile a kid in an effort to get him back into the building.

Awhile before that a couple boys were grabbed and found dead later on, jubert is now dead but that fear was prevailent and on everyones mind.

Cops said thanks and I went on my way.
Old April 16, 2011, 01:58 PM   #34
Buzzcook

mnero: In this situation, calling 911 and being interviewed by police, is much different than (rightly or wrongly) being an person of interest.

I completely agree that law enforcement has done many bad things. One of the reasons we know that Tasers and stun guns can be deadly is because of their abuse by law enforcement. But the fact remains that police officers are public servants. As such you as a member of the public should have no fear of calling them. The people who should be fearful are the guys with the stun gun.