The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 11, 2011, 08:33 PM   #1
hootey

Remington 1100 Lt20

Back several decades ago when remington came out with the 1100 Lt 20, my father got me one for my birthday as I was about ten or so. It worked like it was supposed to for 5 or 6 yrs, then started jamming. Had a couple good gunsmiths look at for minimal fees & couldn't find a thing wrong with it. It is a great shooting single shot, would like to rip off 4 or 5 rounds at a time if I felt like it though.
Question for those of you greatly talented he-men that know far more than I do bout shotguns; Gonna get a tech-manual for the 1100 and a complete seal kit. Is it very hard to replace all the seals in a 1100? How long should it take? I think this would fix the action problem? What do you gentlemen think?
Old March 11, 2011, 08:52 PM   #2
Pahoo

You mention that you have had gunsmiths look at it and they could not fix it? That doesn't make sense. As far as seals, are you tallking about the piston rings and rubber O-Ring? Replace the O-Ring and make sure the steel ring and cup, are not stuck or hanging up. I once bought a barrel that had a set of rings stuck hard, in the barrel cylinder. Also make sure your barrel ports are clear and clean. But gees, that smiths should have caught this. I've owned two of the LT-20's and they were sweet. So much so, that I sent them on to a better home. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old March 11, 2011, 09:21 PM   #3
zippy13

Pahoo about covered it all.
Common causes of R-1100 failures are:
  • Improperly replacing the rings (piston and piston seal). There eight different ways to put them on the mag tube and only one works. Verify ring orientation with your owners manual.
  • Dirty/corroded/unlubricated mag tube. The mag tube should be meticulously cleaned and lightly oiled. As you turn an assembled 1100 end over end you should hear the rings freely sliding on the tube.
  • Dirt in the barrel vent(s). This is a part of 1100 maintenance that's easily overlooked. As Pahoo noted, make sure the vent ports are clean. Use some sort of punch to get any carbon build-up out of the vents.
  • A damaged barrel seal (O-ring) will shut-down your 1100 in an instant; but, it's usually the first thing most folks look at when trying to make a naughty 1100 behave. If you have any doubts about your O-ring, replace it.
Old March 13, 2011, 10:10 AM   #4
hootey

Lt 20

Thanks for the repliies, appreciated. Gonna get tech manual and do it myself.
Old March 14, 2011, 08:34 PM   #5
E.J.W.

I just bought a sweet LW20 for my daughter to shoot. It preceded the LT20 model. It was a bit gummed up from not being cleaned since it was last shot some years ago. The problem was similar, low brass shells would not cycle the action. I disassembled the entire gun and gave it a real good cleaning, replaced the action spring, pistons and seal. It cycled with any shells after the cleaning but misfired with shallow primer hits once in a while. A new firing pin retractor spring fixed that. I've put about 10 boxes of shells through it at our home trap range. Not one problem.
Good luck
E.