The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 26, 2010, 05:30 PM   #26
TheKlawMan

Good job, mehavy. I am not too concerned with the mechnical aspects of the express and may even end up replacing a few parts down the road if I get one. Just how bad is the standard finish (not sure if it should be called bluing or not). It may be more of a problem in a wet weather state, which CA ususally is not, and just be something to deal with if and when I ever get to use it in a marshy area. For that matter, if I really hated the finish how much of a problem is it to have it stripped and refinished?

Earlier you mentioned the cordless drill. I finally got one just yesterday from my son and would love its first use to be polishing the chamber of a new express. (He is warning me that I still need to go slow and the women are still upset if they even hear the word gun or see me working on my ancient model 1900.
Old December 26, 2010, 05:49 PM   #27
mehavey

Actually, the rough`n ready matte finish (akin to parkerizing in look) was a plus for me as I was looking for a gun with guts/for rough times, not fine looks. (I have my grandfather's Model-12 for that).

I have a feeling that to properly prep such a gun as gthe Express for a classic blueing job, it would take more metal polishing than normal for guns with a smooth finish to start

Last edited by mehavey; December 26, 2010 at 06:10 PM.
Old December 26, 2010, 05:57 PM   #28
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I think wet sanding starting with 100 or so grit advancing to 1,000 would result in a nice finish...

The problem with the express finish is that it will rust easier than a smooth blue job. The humidity has all the pits to collect in.

Brent
Old December 27, 2010, 08:26 AM   #29
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Re Express finishes, some Eastern Shore Goose Guides melt paraffin in with heat guns to rustproof theirs. Johnson's Paste wax and Turtle Wax also have their adherents.

The one Express here, an early 90s 20 gauge, does fine with any oil applied frequently.
Old December 27, 2010, 09:25 AM   #30
MLeake

Had a problem with an 870 Tactical jamming up on me last year, with less than two boxes of shells through it.

Gave it to a friend, as a project gun. We'll see if he gets it running.

Meanwhile, my 20 year old Express keeps chugging along.
Old December 27, 2010, 05:50 PM   #31
TheKlawMan

Just called the wife's nephew back in Virginia. He has no complaints about his older Express but knows nothing about the newer ones. Paid about $250 for it 10 - 15 years ago. Gun laws back there are a lot different than Cal.
Old December 29, 2010, 01:41 PM   #32
greyeyezz

Follow this mans instructions you'll be fine.
http://www.aiptactical.com/Page_2.html