The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 15, 2010, 01:42 PM   #1
ohiomossyoak

Can my M'berg 835 be multi purpose?

I recently acquired a Mossberg 835 Ulti-mag turkey model in woodland camo..It has a 24in barrel a choke tube thats a little tough to read Says turkey and _ _ _ _ full.It also had a PG included in addition to the factory stock.The gun has a few bumps an bruises.But overall looks fine an functions great.Most of my questions for the time being will pertain only to this firearm..As i am primarily a bow hunter an own very few firearms.
I want to use it as a HD gun,turkeyhunting,small game(sqrl an rabbit) an maybe short range coyote's(with my buddy along with his Bolt action .223

1st question.Will the 24in barrel on this gun work for all the above?

What choke do i need for HD.Will this mystery _ _ _ full choke work?Also can i shoot 00 buckshot lead out of this choke?

What choke do i need for rabbit/sqrl?

What choke will work best for Coyote?
Old December 15, 2010, 02:32 PM   #2
zippy13

Greetings ohiomossyoak and welcome aboard,

You are all set to go with what you already have. Some folks will suggest a shorter barrel for your HD use, it's not for ballistic reasons -- if your gun is 6-inches sorter, it may handle better in tight spaces.
Old December 15, 2010, 02:34 PM   #3
hardworker

That gun should do everything you need it to do. At home defense ranges, the pattern won't be very large regardless of choke. Yes, 00 buck will work in a full choke. I use it all the time for deer. For squirrel and rabbit, I'd get the widest pattern choke I could find so I don't completely destroy the meat. I'd use the full choke with no.4 buck on coyote to get the most range out of the gun.
Old December 15, 2010, 02:45 PM   #4
Doyle

They sell a rifled slug barrel for the 835 (you CANNOT use slugs in an normal 835 barrel because it is overbored). I've also seen a 20" HD barrel on one, but I don't know if it was a custom job or if it is available commercially.
Old December 15, 2010, 02:49 PM   #5
zippy13

Doyle,
Is the Mossberg 835 rifled barrel available with screw-in chokes? Since he has a full choke screw-in, I suspect it's a smooth bore.

Last edited by zippy13; December 15, 2010 at 03:14 PM.
Old December 15, 2010, 03:03 PM   #6
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
(you CANNOT use slugs in an normal 835 barrel because it is overbored)
Only if it is roll stamped on the barrel that no slugs can be used...
The choke you have is basically a SUPER DUPER FULL for reaching out 60-70 yards for turkey huntin'... Just get additional choke tubes...
Brent
Old December 15, 2010, 04:36 PM   #7
Doyle

Quote:
Doyle,
Is the Mossberg 835 rifled barrel available with screw-in chokes?
No. A rifled slug barrel does not use chokes at all.

Quote:
Quote:
(you CANNOT use slugs in an normal 835 barrel because it is overbored)

Only if it is roll stamped on the barrel that no slugs can be used...
Brent, I've never seen a normal 835 barrel that wasn't overbored (and all the overbored barrels will have the roll stamped warning). They may sell stock 835s with non-overbored barrels, but I haven't seen any.
Old December 16, 2010, 11:01 PM   #8
ohiomossyoak

To the top
Old December 16, 2010, 11:06 PM   #9
dannyb

You can get slug barrels for the 835. I have one in 20 inch, also have a hard-to-find 18.5 incher for HD purposes. I was looking for months on Gunbroker, then found one on Corson's barrels. It's the 24 and 28 inch barrels with the screw-in chokes that are overbored and not meant for slugs.
Old December 23, 2010, 12:30 PM   #10
ohiomossyoak

Quote:
You can get slug barrels for the 835. I have one in 20 inch, also have a hard-to-find 18.5 incher for HD purposes. I was looking for months on Gunbroker, then found one on Corson's barrels. It's the 24 and 28 inch barrels with the screw-in chokes that are overbored and not meant for slugs.
im not really interested in a slug barrel.Wal mart.com has the barrel with rifle sights for around 125$ an the cantilever slug barrel with scope for 170$..I figure if i spend 170$ on that .I could use that money toward a Break action muzzleloader..Which in ohio you can use for deer anytime firearms season is in.As well as a additional 4 day muzzle only season..i was just wanting to keep the 24in barrel an get a IC or M choke tube to go with the ulti-full choke i have..Just wasnt sure which would better short range yotes,HD an rabbit sqrl...Im leaning towards a Mod choke..But would still like more input
Old December 23, 2010, 01:45 PM   #11
Doyle

Quote:
But would still like more input
Specifically, what information are you looking for?
Old December 23, 2010, 02:45 PM   #12
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

If you ain't using slugs, any target you seek to shoot at the distance you expect will have a choke recommendation, within reason of course...

So details need to be presented by you for folks to suggest their pet load and choke...

Brent
Old December 23, 2010, 02:55 PM   #13
rantingredneck

Get yourself a Modified choke and a Full choke.

Generally speaking (pattern your gun/load/choke for best results):

Use your present extra full choke for turkey

Use your Full choke with *T, F, or 4 buck for 'yotes

Use your Modified choke for 00 or 000 buck for deer/HD

Make a trip to the range with some cardboard/butcher's paper and see what your chosen loads and chokes do at specific ranges.

*note: if using steel T or F shot make sure that the full choke is marked "FULL STEEL". If using lead shot of T or F sizes then a standard lead choke will work.

RE: Barrels.....

The above posters are correct. You cannot use slugs of any description through the barrel you presently have. The standard "Accu-Mag" barrels for the 835 and 935 are overbored to nearly 10 ga bore diameter. The dedicated slug barrels made for them are standard 12 ga bore diameter. Short of that limitation, you are good to go for just about any other size or type of shell you would like to use.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)