The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 23, 2009, 02:04 PM   #1
madpenguin

Info on Stevens 20ga double barrel

Greetings all. I'm trying to gather more information about this shotgun I have. My Dad bought it for me back in middle school, early to mid 80's I guess.

It's a Stevens/Savage 20 ga. double barrel shotgun. Manufactured in Westfield Mass. Model 311R Series J. Barrel length is 18 1/8".

Found some markings when cleaning it. Pic is below. Sorry about the quality. It was taken with my phone.

http://www.jaguarlinux.com/pub/sandbox/20ga.jpg

The markings near the "bottom" firing pin are - "L6 F J". The J has a circle around it. Right by the "top" firing pin, there is an "S". Also have what looks to be a serial number on the side of the gun. Starts with an "E" followed by 6 digits.

Curious to know what year this was manufactured in and any other general information you may have. Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

Last edited by madpenguin; April 23, 2009 at 02:12 PM.
Old April 24, 2009, 03:33 AM   #2
Hawg

The J in a circle dates it to 1958. The Steven's 311 is a good solid, dependable work gun. There's not much collector interest in them and values are usually pretty low.
Old April 25, 2009, 02:33 PM   #3
madpenguin

Thanks Hawg. That's what I gathered from a post here using the search function. Wanted to double check because my dad was under the impression it was new when bought.
Old April 25, 2009, 03:37 PM   #4
RetiredLawman

The 311 is a decent gun. It is not rated for steel.