The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 12, 2008, 03:07 PM   #26
bclark1

Well shucks, it's a shame those dead deer didn't know I wasn't hunting, maybe they'd have felt better. When you get a chance, could you generalize why my rifle's not fit for the woods or instruct me how to find a job with lower expectations?

Thanks to anyone who's actually contributed to the discussion. Guess it wouldn't be the internet if we didn't have some folks spitting gum in the collection plate.
Old November 12, 2008, 03:44 PM   #27
davlandrum

Quote:
Sitting and waiting just isn't my deal.
+1

While stationed on the east coast, I tried my best at tree stand hunting. It drove me NUTS to just sit there, usually freezing my --- off!

If I had taken a book, maybe I could have held on to my sanity a little longer...

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old November 12, 2008, 04:47 PM   #28
Ironwood

BClark, I'm sorry I guess my reply wasn't on topic. I really didn't think you were serious. Never understood why anyone would want to read in their stand. I'll think about it and maybe I can come up with a good solution for you. If you can give me a little better understanding of what your stand looks like. How big are the windows and how many? Do you have any type of netting or burlap strips hanging in your windows? What direction is the stand facing? In a wooded area? Out in the open? How is your chair placed in the stand. Any small shelves or tables? Rack for your rifle/shotgun? Do you hold your book in your lap? What color is the inside of your stand?
Old November 12, 2008, 06:07 PM   #29
wpcexpert

Ironwood, (in no way attacking or making fun)

The stand you just asked him to describe, sounds to me like a box stand. Now, as hard core as you sounded in your post I placed you in a climbing treestand in a thicket somewhere with no more than a 20-25 yard shot with a bow. That's the way I like to hunt. I sometimes laugh at the folks that act all gunho about hunting and then go climb up in a box stand and watch a field or highline all day, everyday. That to me is not truely hunting, more, sitting and waiting for critters to come to a legal bait pile. But I'm not trying to get into a peeing match about hunters and hunting styles. I don't do much spot and stalk, that to me is hardcore. And those guys laugh at the rest of us.

From what I gathered about his hunting set-up, he is sitting on an oak flat, up in a lock-on or lean on ladderstand.

What set-up are you hunting in by the way? Sounds like you are in a box stand with tiny windows so the deer have a limited chance of seeing you, while waiting to shoot them from beyond 100yds with a rifle.

I guess I'm saying, folks hunt in different ways. You pick your way, and others will do theirs. But before you lay into folks that choose to pass the time differently, they may do 100 times more homework, stand prep, sitting than you could fathom. Just a Thought.
When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.
- Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by wpcexpert; November 12, 2008 at 06:23 PM.
Old November 12, 2008, 06:15 PM   #30
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Than there is my style of stand... I find tons of tracks and after picking a nice tree to sit against I take my trusty knife and bare hands and make a blind of palmetto fronds and green stick limbs... Usually get busted the first day or so due to scent and newness of the set up so reading is a good thing the first day or 2.
Brent
Old November 12, 2008, 08:07 PM   #31
Ironwood

WPCEXPERT.... No acception taken. When you get to be 71 years old, like me, I bet you will be glad to have a nice warm box stand to hunt from. I've paid my dues. I've hunted when there were no tree stands, no climbing stands, no 4 wheelers. My camo was a plaid shirt. I might hunt all season long without seeing another hunter. Had to drag my deer or hog out by myself. Did my camping in a tent, cooked and heated from an open fire.

I feel sort of sorry for the young fellows that do all this deer farming instead of deer hunting. When antler size dictates what buck they will take or can take.

There were very few deer in East Texas when I was growing up. A hunter was lucky to see one buck during our two month long season. Aahhh that's enough of that. Time to go watch some TV... Good luck to you guys.
Old November 12, 2008, 08:15 PM   #32
wpcexpert

Sir, I feel like I must say I'm sorry for the slight. I was always taught to be respectful...of everyone. I guess I found myself judging and not taking into account that I can't see the folks that I am conversating with. I'd say that you have paid your dues and have hunted harder than most of us out here. I just pray that I still am able to get up and about at your still young age. There are a lot of folks that can't. I think of how my dad used to hunt, and how that is changing as the years go on. I keep dreaming of having the ability to provide him with a warm box blind to crawl into when he gets ready for it.

But anyway sir, thanks for the lesson. Good luck and shoot straight.

Shawn
When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.
- Thomas Jefferson
Old November 12, 2008, 08:17 PM   #33
fisherman66

don't forget the TP.
Old November 13, 2008, 07:08 PM   #34
Edge

I read. Just move slow and make it a point to scan the area every so often (every page or whatever).

P.S. Speaking from experience... Set down the books before shooting... I had a deer go past the stand at a run one day and then stop within range. I held the book in my supporting hand while shooting the revolver. After shooting the deer, I realized that the cylinder blast had shredded part of my book...
Old November 18, 2008, 10:28 PM   #35
Dr. Strangelove

Actually forgot where I was yesterday...

Hanging on a pine here in GA in my TomCat 1, I was reading "To the White Sea" by James Dickey. The wind kicked up, the tree swayed, I looked up, not expecting my comfortable lazy-boy to be swaying, and suddenly realized I'm 20 feet in the air. Kind of freaked me out for a second. I tend to get a little zoned when I'm reading.

Anyway, I rest my rifle across the top of the stand and my book on top of the rifle. If I need to use the rifle, I just put the book in my lap. Most of the time, I just use a little pair of compact binoculars to spot things, so I only need the rifle when its "business time". I hang a small backpack over the back of the stand to hold all my "stuff".

Here's what the stand looks like:

http://www.treeclimber.com/

By the way, this stand is 20 years old. A few items had worn out, I spoke with the family who runs the company today, they are sending new parts out no charge!
Old November 19, 2008, 09:14 AM   #36
jdscholer

I believe that most game critters have an almost magical ability to sense when we are a threat - or not. When our attention is elsewhere, or seems to be, they will often hang around and behave in ways that seem baffeling to us hunters. Almost like they don't take us seriosly.
Reading, knitting, sleeping, drawing, anything that keeps you in a good spot without exuding "DANGER", is a good thing in my book. Hey did I make a pun?:barf: jd
Old November 19, 2008, 09:45 AM   #37
rantingredneck

Let me recount one of my evenings on stand this season..........

Sitting back reading a novel at 4:30.......4:31 hear hoofbeats........look up.......crap 4 deer........stand.........drop novel in seat of stand.........grab bow.......come to full draw.........whistle, deer stops..........release..........venison....................

Don't overthink it. Just enjoy your book.

BTW, That ^ was in a climbing stand.

Last edited by rantingredneck; November 19, 2008 at 09:56 AM.
Old November 19, 2008, 03:20 PM   #38
nra_guns_winner

Do you have to be able to read to hunt? Maybe some of you should stay home! I'll get the big one by myself.
Old November 19, 2008, 06:46 PM   #39
dragonfire

I also read while hunting usually not first thing in am or around after 2pm but it helps pass the time and forget about the cold.