The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 24, 2006, 10:27 AM   #1
Pops114

slug barrel for 11-87?

I've got a light contour, vented rib barrel, but would like to go deer hunting this season. From what I've seen, I shouldn't have a problem shooting a slug as long as I use IC, understanding that I won't have the accuracy or range that I would with a rifled slug barrel. Since I'll be hunting in woods, that's probably not a big deal.

I also noticed that Remington rifled barrels (cantilever scope mount) say that the stock of LC models may not fit. Anybody have any experience with this? also, how much benefit would it be to get a bona-fide slug barrel? Is it worth the $260 new? Know where I could find one (new or used) any cheaper?

Thanks for your input.
Old August 24, 2006, 04:27 PM   #2
sne7777

The barrel has to be for an 1187 LC. I have on on order for my wifes 1187. I chose the Hasting's over the Rem. It cost more but I am told the rifleing is better.
A riffled barrel is much more acurate than a smooth bore. Are going to use the Hornady Cutom Sabots.
The price you have for the Rem barrel seems fair. Try running a search for a used barrel.

Good luck
Old August 24, 2006, 09:54 PM   #3
BigV

Quote:
slug barrel for 11-87?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've got a light contour, vented rib barrel, but would like to go deer hunting this season. From what I've seen, I shouldn't have a problem shooting a slug as long as I use IC, understanding that I won't have the accuracy or range that I would with a rifled slug barrel. Since I'll be hunting in woods, that's probably not a big deal.

I also noticed that Remington rifled barrels (cantilever scope mount) say that the stock of LC models may not fit. Anybody have any experience with this? also, how much benefit would it be to get a bona-fide slug barrel? Is it worth the $260 new? Know where I could find one (new or used) any cheaper?

Thanks for your input.
The barrel will fit fine, but the for end stock will not. It has to do with the taper of the LC barrel. I had to get a standard 11-87 for end stock so that I could use the rifled slug barrel. At the time, Remington did not make a slug barrel for the LC model. I don’t know if they do now or not.
Hope this helps.
Old August 25, 2006, 05:04 AM   #4
Pops114

Thanks

Your replies confirmed what I suspected. I'll do some looking around for a used (non-LC) fore if I decide to get a slug barrel.