The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 20, 2019, 04:14 PM   #1
Prof Young

Plus P loads?

Loaders:

Do plus p loads require brass rated for plus p? I'm specifically asking about 38 special. I have a rated-for-38-special-plus-p gun so no fears there. Just need to know about the brass?

Please talk to me.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old July 20, 2019, 05:04 PM   #2
BBarn

Modern 38 Special brass without the +P Mark will handle the higher +P pressure just fine. But it's a good practice to assemble +P loads into brass with the +P stamp. It can serve as a warning against it's use in a non+P rated gun.
Old July 20, 2019, 05:27 PM   #3
Reloadron

There is no difference in the brass. Here is a quote from Starline Brass regarding their 38 Special +P brass.
"38 SPL+P has no difference from the standard 38 SPL, other than headstamp designation for load segregation. This is due to the fact that our standard case design will handle +P pressures with no problems".

This is inline with BBarn's post.

Ron
Old July 20, 2019, 08:42 PM   #4
Unclenick
Staff

Even more than that, 38 Special brass and 44 Special brass were what the original 357 and 44 Magnum loads were worked up in. Those have significantly higher pressures than +P loads. The later magnum cases were given their greater length not because the Special cases couldn't stand the pressure, but just to stop the hotter Magnum loads from being possible to chamber in light Special revolver cylinders too thin to contain their pressure.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old July 20, 2019, 08:57 PM   #5
Prof Young

Thanks much.

Loaders:

Thanks for the helpful information. I will proceed accordingly.

Life is good.
Prof Young
Old July 21, 2019, 08:52 PM   #6
rodfac

Nick, I do recall a number of writers in the past, warning not to use canelured .38 Special brass from full wadcutter target loads when putting up .38-44 heavy duty loads. The implication was that it was thinner than regular .38 Spl. brass. Skelton mentions it in one of his long ago articles when assembling loads using Lyman's venerable 358156 gc bullet.

It's very possible that thinner target grade brass in .38 Spl. has gone the route of the Dodo and is no longer in circulation, but I'm an old, some would say very old, creature of habbit and avoid that canelured brass when loading to higher pressures.

What say you...is this still a concern? best regards, Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old July 21, 2019, 09:36 PM   #7
Unclenick
Staff

Just to be clear for other readers, Rod's referring to the S&W N-frame .38/44 that hosted many of the high-pressure experiments in the pre-Magnum days.

The cannelure rolled into those cases is a holdover from BP cartridge days when it was used as a bullet seating stop. It work-hardens the brass and the sharp ring type, especially, leaves it unable to withstand much expansion at that site, as highly work-hardened brass has a much-reduced ability to elongate (stretch) without breaking. As a result, it is prone to separating at that location when a high-pressure load expands the chamber a little, leaving the front part of the case in the chamber. It's not hard to get out, but gas-cutting of pits in the chamber at the site and the possibility of jamming up speed loading if the presence of that separated piece goes unnoticed are real concerns.

As to the brass actually being thinner, I have no personal knowledge of that, never having found any especially light WC cases. But I can imagine cases produced during war shortages might have been so constructed. There is no SAAMI standard for internal case dimensions beyond those of the primer pocket. Perhaps a cartridge collector can chime in with more relevant information on the topic, but blank brass is the only truly weaker brass I've run into.
Old July 22, 2019, 04:57 PM   #8
Paul B.

Quote:
It's very possible that thinner target grade brass in .38 Spl. has gone the route of the Dodo and is no longer in circulation, but I'm an old, some would say very old, creature of habbit and avoid that canelured brass when loading to higher pressures.

What say you...is this still a concern? best regards, Rod
It could be. A while back I bought a case of Winchester .38 Spl. target ammo with wadcutter bullet. Can't speak about the thinness of the brass but it has two Cannelures and stretches badly during resizing. I'd stay away from that stuff if planning to do some Plus P loads.
Paul B.
Old July 24, 2019, 05:36 PM   #9
Unclenick
Staff

Paul,

That's another point. The deep cannelures go in before trimming, I believe, so they won't shorten the trimmed case. But that also means the extra brass can feed stretching.

Do you still have a piece of that brass you can weigh? If it were significantly lighter than a standard 38 Special case, that would be a clue.