The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old July 11, 2019, 03:41 AM   #26
stagpanther

Too many.
And just started a new one.
Turn back while there's still time!
Old July 11, 2019, 10:19 AM   #27
armednfree

Quote:
Too many.
And just started a new one.
Turn back while there's still time!

That's like telling someone to stop before they get to the bottom of the Pringles can.
Old July 11, 2019, 11:26 AM   #28
44caliberkid

I build for aesthetics, a certain look or theme (badass). I have a red and black Punisher themed 6.8 SPC. Used every part with a Punisher skull on it I could find. Did a black and gold, University of Iowa AR, for my son who is a big Iowa fan. I used flat orange header paint for the buffer tube, controls, and few highlights on a 458 SOCOM, for a hot rod look. My daughter likes natural, neutral colors, so hers was an all FDE, 20 inch barrel, 5.56 that I named the Jewel Of The Nile. She loves it and uses it to zap coyotes and other varmints around her acreage. My other daughter was nicknamed Cheetah in high school sports, so I'm planning school colors and found sheets of self adhesive cheetah spot stencils at Hobby Lobby.
I've also done themes like light weight, using every light weight part I could find. My post mistress is happy to weigh parts for me.
Old July 11, 2019, 03:15 PM   #29
stagpanther

sounds cool--show us!
Old August 17, 2019, 11:59 PM   #30
MrBot

Up 'til 16 months ago I HATED ARs. ..thought they were ugly as sin & who the heck wants a plastic rifle. ..then watched a video from "Tipping Point With Liz Wheeler" on why she likes her AR 15. ..got the ol' wheels to turning. ..next thing you know I was all over the 'net reading/watching vids on, you guessed it, the AR 15. Then got into this forum with a post that garnered A LOT OF RESPONSES. ..ended up getting directed to Aero Precision USA where the helpful staff assisted me in completing 5.56 black nitride barrel & .223 Wylde stainless steel barrel builds. ..'bout got 'em done. ..just need a light for the 5.56 & either rings or a mount for the .223 W. I added spring loaded flip-out offset back-up iron sights for the .223 W as it supports a Leupold 1.5-4X Illuminated Reticle AR 20mm scope, so I'm gonna have to see how high the scope needs to be to clear the rear sight. ..haven't shot either but didn't actually acquire all the parts (magazines, bolt carrier groups, charging handles, etc) 'til maybe March but then got busy with other stuff. ..have been watching vids lately on about anything/everything AR 15 (especially on how to field-strip/lube, etc) so should be ready to get the parts out of the boxes & assemble them by winter. I don't get in any kind of a hurry but rather prefer to enjoy the ride. ..figured this would be the end of my AR projects but now kind of have a hankering for a 9mm. Bought the parts for the 1st two in what would be considered field-stripped sections. ..might get a little more involved (aftermarket trigger. That kind of thing) for the next one. ..can't really say why the switch in my mind got switched but it sure did. Part of it is that you can build some REALLY, REALLY aesthetically appealing rifles CUSTOMIZED to your every whim. ..got a black carbine. ..a flat dark earth carbine. ..black nitride BCG. ..nickel-boron BCG. ..nickelene CH. ..black CH. ..etc. And most of the parts are interchangeable so I can end up with whatever look fits my fancy. ..probably have Mom or my girl friend decide the final placement of the BCGs/CHs for aesthetics as the girls tend to be pretty good on what looks best together. ..not that there's a lot to decide. But still the same. ..keeps 'em happier that way.
Old August 18, 2019, 07:58 PM   #31
Rembrandt

Way too many......between picking up lowers at gun shows and living near Brownells retail store has made it too convenient.
Old August 20, 2019, 08:30 PM   #32
MGMorden

I've built 5 - 2 in 5.56 (one carry handle and one flat top), 1 in .300 Blackout, 1 in 7.62x39, and 1 in 9mm.

I mostly do it because I enjoy tinkering with and building guns. I've also got an STI 2011 clone and a Polymer 80 (Compact frame) that I've put together. I've also bought at least half a dozen beat up pump shotguns that I've repaired, refinished the stocks, and in the latest case reblued (gave me an excuse to buy a bluing tank lol).

Though I definitely enjoy shooting too, I've found that I derive as much or more fun from "tinkering" with the guns. Give me another few years and I really want to buy a mill and lathe so that I can start fabricating small parts as needed.

I have told myself that I'm done with AR's, but the BRN-180 upper has me considering at least building another lower to throw one of those on . . .
Old August 21, 2019, 09:38 PM   #33
Metal god

I assembled them in the configuration I want , be it national match to peep site plinker . Every one I've done has had a specific purpose and has been assembled to fit that purpose .

How many ? not enough because I still have stripped lowers haha . Cartridges/calibers ? All are in the 223/5.56 area not including the 308's . I reload and for quite some time now I've chosen to keep it simple . I don't want to need 10 different die sets 15 different powders and 10 different bullet diameters . I just don't have the budget for that . Right now I can shoot all my 223 loads regardless of bullet in any AR I have and the same is almost true with my 308's .

Oh I have other cartridges I shoot but those are in different firearm types . In the AR platform I keep it pretty simple as far as cartridges they are chambered in and that's by design .

Quote:
For me, it’s not about appearance, it’s about what the rifle does.

No one sees my rifles but me and the close family.

I don’t care if the finish matches perfectly, I care if it functions as intended. My modest AR assortment has a different intended use for each one.
^^^^^That^^^^^^

Is my thinking as well although a few of mine do look pretty cool

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; August 21, 2019 at 09:46 PM.
Old September 1, 2019, 12:43 PM   #34
stagpanther

I build cause I need something to shoot my new cartridge reloads through. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.