The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old June 28, 2019, 03:30 PM   #1
Aguila Blanca
Staff

New ammo from CCI

CCI has announced a new, quiet, .22LR ammunition. They call it Quiet-22 Semi-Auto. Their claim is that it's as quiet as shooting conventional ammo through a suppressor, yet it cycles all semi-auto firearms reliably.

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/produc...1&loadNo=975CC

Does anyone know anything about it? Has anyone tried it? I'm trying to figure out if it's anything other than a subsonic round with a fancy name.
Old June 28, 2019, 05:23 PM   #2
reteach

I read this on the Selway Armory ammo site. It looks like a quote from CCI, but that's not really clear.

These cartridges may be used in semi-automatic firearms, however manual cycling of the action may be required.

http://www.selwayarmory.com/cci-quie...box-of-50.html

The comments also say "75%" less perceived noise." Have not tried any myself but I think I'll order a box or two next time I buy ammo.
Old June 28, 2019, 06:03 PM   #3
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Press release from CCI:

Quote:
LEWISTON, Idaho – June 28, 2019 – CCI Ammunition is excited to announce new Quiet-22 Semi-Auto, which is incredibly quiet yet ultra-reliable in autoloading rimfires. Shipments of these 22 LR loads have been delivered to dealers.

Quiet-22 Semi-Auto drastically reduces the volume of standard 22 LR rounds while cycling flawlessly through semi-automatic rifles and handguns. The accurate, low-velocity loads provide the sensation of shooting through a suppressor—without the suppressor—and are perfect for new shooters, and shooters looking for a reduction in noise.
Old June 28, 2019, 07:11 PM   #4
Bartholomew Roberts

Well, the advertised velocity is 45gr at 735fps. That’s about the same muzzle energy as CCI’s .22 Short at 50yds, so it should be quieter.
Old June 28, 2019, 07:24 PM   #5
reteach

Quote:
Press release from CCI
Yeah, I saw that on the CCI web site. I guess the comments on Selway's site are from Selway. I see almost word-for-word the same comments on the Target Sports USA site.

Here's a video from 22plinkster:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQH403D-6Ek

This shows him manually cycling the Ruger 10/22 he's using. It also shows a quiet, accurate round. Still interested in buying some.

Well, dang. Edit to add:

https://www.cci-ammunition.com/produ...e=3&loadNo=960

From CCI's site, and it says

Notes:

68 dB @ shooters ear

These cartridges may be used in semi-automatic firearms, however manual cycling of the action may be required.

Is there more than one version of this stuff?

Last edited by reteach; June 28, 2019 at 07:32 PM.
Old June 28, 2019, 08:41 PM   #6
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartholomew Roberts
Well, the advertised velocity is 45gr at 735fps. That’s about the same muzzle energy as CCI’s .22 Short at 50yds, so it should be quieter.
Where are you seeing 735 fps? The CCI web site says 835 fps.

https://www.cci-ammunition.com/produ...1&loadNo=975CC
Old June 28, 2019, 08:43 PM   #7
zukiphile

Quote:
Does anyone know anything about it? Has anyone tried it? I'm trying to figure out if it's anything other than a subsonic round with a fancy name.
While quiet, it isn't well regarded for accuracy.

Yes there are two different quiet loads. There is the older 40gr cartridge reviewed by 22plinkster in reteach's post. Now there is the 45gr cartridge to which Bart Roberts refers. The extra five grains and better speed was supposed to allow semi-automatic cycling.

In the 22plinkster video, he prints a three inch group at 50 yards with the older stuff. That's pretty miserable. Plainly, it's quieter than normal subsonic 22lr.

I've used 20gr Colibri on squirrels in town; the loudest part of using it was the sound of the bullet hitting the target, if it did hit the target...unless you count the squirrel's laughter after having been hit. It's no trick to make a very quiet 22lr from a 16+ inch barrel if it doesn't need to be reasonably accurate or deadly.

I can't find accuracy results online for this 45gr round. I've used 45gr Winchester and Federal (hoping they might better resist cross winds), and neither will reliably place five shots inside an inch at 50 yards in any rifle I own. I haven't any hope this will be better than those faster rounds.
Old June 28, 2019, 08:46 PM   #8
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by reteach
Is there more than one version of this stuff?
It looks like there are multiple versions. You linked to product #960. I linked to product #975CC.

The difference is that 960 is "Quiet-22." The 975CC is "Quiet-22 Semi-Auto." Whatever they do to the 975CC, it's designed and formulated to be able to cycle semi-automatic pistols and rifles.
Old June 28, 2019, 09:59 PM   #9
TruthTellers

Cool to see some heavier than 40 grain projectiles for .22, CCI also makes a 45 grain LHP called "Suppressor" and I wish that were more popular.

I wouldn't mind seeing a 50 grain .22 ammo that replicates the .25. Won't be fast, but would penetrate better and likely be more accurate than the oddball 60 grain Aguila SSS
Old June 28, 2019, 10:36 PM   #10
reteach

Quote:
It looks like there are multiple versions.
There's also this one, the segmented hollow point version, product # 0970:

https://www.cci-ammunition.com/produ...=2&loadNo=0970

The web site doesn't seem to have a search feature. Be nice to be able to find all this stuff grouped together.

Quote:
... it isn't well regarded for accuracy.
In the 22plinkster video, he says that the ammo was designed for use at 10-15 yards. I don't see that statement on the CCI web site. He shoots at 50 yards with poor results, but when he moves in to 15 yards he gets very good results.
Old June 28, 2019, 10:43 PM   #11
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Hmmm...

Quote:
  • 75-percent less perceived noise than standard .22 LR
  • No hearing protection needed
I wonder if it's really quiet enough to shoot without hearing protection from a revolver, or if that 75 percent less perceived noise only applies to rifles.

Quote:
The web site doesn't seem to have a search feature. Be nice to be able to find all this stuff grouped together.
Ask and ye shall receive:

https://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/products.aspx

Mark for comparison and you get:

https://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/compare.aspx
Old June 28, 2019, 11:33 PM   #12
Bartholomew Roberts

Quote:
Where are you seeing 735 fps? The CCI web site says 835 fps.

Even at 835fps, that’s still .22 Short muzzle energy.
Old June 28, 2019, 11:40 PM   #13
reteach

Quote:
Ask and ye shall receive
Cool. Thanks.

So the 975CC is gets an extra 125 fps - 835 compared to 710 - to cycle the semi-auto.

At least those are the numbers the web site posts.

Bartholomew - where did you get that photo? It says 975CC, so we're talking about the same product. Maybe that's an old box, or a mislabeled box.
Old June 29, 2019, 12:34 AM   #14
Aguila Blanca
Staff

They may have changed the spec. I was going to respond to the mislabeled box notion by offering that the web site might be wrong ...

But the web site says 835 fps in multiple places, AND the photo that's on the web site tonight shows a box that's labeled 835.

https://www.cci-ammunition.com/produ...1&loadNo=975CC
Old June 29, 2019, 04:32 AM   #15
Spats McGee
Staff

I've tried it. In a suppressed bolt action .22, they're crazy quiet. Quieter than my pellet gun. Move the suppressor to my 22/45 or 10/22, and they're still quiet*, but I had to hand-cycle the action.

*= Naturally, the action makes noise.
Old June 29, 2019, 05:47 AM   #16
Rob228

Quote:
I've used 20gr Colibri on squirrels in town; the loudest part of using it was the sound of the bullet hitting the target, if it did hit the target...unless you count the squirrel's laughter after having been hit.
I've killed rabbits with .22s and .17s, sometimes with hits that should not have been fatal, to include a shot through the top of the ear, not sure how, but they just died. The one time I shot a rabbit with Colibri, it was at 20 yards with an 18" holdover (dialed in with three shots at said rabbit) I heard the hit, and it slowly hopped away.