The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 8, 2019, 06:55 PM   #1
Bart B.

Barrel Bedding

Is synthetic bedding under a rifle barrel's chamber a good thing to do?
Old June 8, 2019, 07:12 PM   #2
LineStretcher

It really depends on the barrel. A barrel that tapers after the chamber may benefit while a bull barrel with very little taper after the chamber may not. Typically, I'll not bed the chamber area until after I've shot the rifle with normal bedding. If I dont feel any vibration in the fore end, I leave it but if I do, then I'll bed the chamber area and it often cures it. The goal is to not allow the stock to interfere with the normal oscillations of the barrel. If you feel the vibration in the fore end then there is interference which may reduce accuracy. Please notice that I've not made any hard statements. I've done so because every rifle is different and in as much not every technique will apply equally.
Old June 8, 2019, 08:34 PM   #3
Scorch

I won't bed under the chamber even if a customer demands it (and the rifles I build shoot pretty well). The chamber area gets hot fast, and you don't need it growing with the heat and raising your barrel in the bedding. Free float it all the way to the receiver.
Old June 9, 2019, 02:57 AM   #4
old roper

You can get answer to Bart question here

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph....819015/page-3
NRA Life Member
Old June 9, 2019, 09:00 AM   #5
Don Fischer

I have bedded barrels full length and it's worked fine. Have done the action and just to the front of the chamber and not a problem one, shoot's fine. These days I free float the barrel full length, works fine. If you bed under the chamber be sure you get the bedding material laid in straight across! You don't and your gonna have a horrible shooting rifle till you fix it. When bedding either full length or under the chamber I like to slip a dollar bill folded several times between the barrel and the stock. Don't try to get it to tight! Remember that cutoff point under the chamber must be straight across!
Old June 9, 2019, 06:13 PM   #6
std7mag

I actually had a discussion with Melvin Forbes on this, just this past week.
I was looking to full length bed my Savage 111 in 7mm Rem Mag.
Essentially he told me that bedding from the recoil lug forwards requires a very stiff stock, to get the results i was looking for.

So for an injection molded stock, do the action and recoil lug. Any further would probably not be recommended.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...