The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 31, 2019, 12:13 PM   #1
The Rattler

Marlin 336 Question

I’ve owned my Marlin 336 30-30 bought new for about 6 years. I removed the butt stock for the first time. When I pulled the stock off, there was a thin piece of white plastic laying loose and unsecured on the lower part of the metal located near the lower screw hole for the tang screw. It has a hole in it seemingly for the tang screw to pass through.

This piece of plastic is not in any of the YouTube disassembly/reassembly videos that I have seen, or in the owners manual

What is it? What purpose does it serve? Is it necessary?

The plastic piece was loose and unsecured. With the necessary moving of the stock to fit it back in place, I think it will be very hard to reinsert in a way that it will stay in place so the tang screw will pass through its hole. Can’t I simply not replace it? If not, should I try to glue it in place?
Old May 31, 2019, 12:54 PM   #2
Roughedge

It might be a shim for the lower tang. If your stock fits good without it don't worry about it, if not glue it to the stock before installing the tang screw.
Old May 31, 2019, 03:15 PM   #3
tango1niner

As Roughedge said, a shim to make the wood to metal fit a little better. How thick is it? Good idea to glue to stock. Like Brylcream, a little dab will do ya...
Old May 31, 2019, 08:23 PM   #4
The Rattler

Thanks for these replies. I called customer support at Marlin and he had the same opinion as you fellows. If it fits well without the shim, don’t worry about it.

I reinstalled it, and the stock seems to fit well. No looseness or wiggling at all. Of course, I am saving the item in case I should need it later.

Thanks for your help.
Old May 31, 2019, 09:00 PM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

I'd put it back in. Think of it as a buffer.