The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 30, 2016, 09:26 PM   #1
Gunslick

Do I need a Certification?

Do I need a Certification to teach in home defense and firearms safety in CA? I know I need a county business license but I think that is all. I know for CCW instructor I need some kind of Cert but just for general firearms safety and in home defense with rifle/pistol/shotgun would I need one. I have taken carbine courses, shotgun courses just for fun.
Old October 1, 2016, 08:43 AM   #2
g.willikers

These days, if you are going to present yourself as a genuine instructor you should have liability insurance, especially in California.
You also need some kind of bona fides if you expect to sell yourself to potential clients.
That includes how to teach as well as knowledge of the subject you want to teach others.
Good luck with your endeavors.
Old October 1, 2016, 09:31 AM   #3
Sharkbite

NRA instructor certification would be a good start. Those courses teach you HOW to teach as much (or more) then WHAT to teach.
Old October 1, 2016, 09:45 AM   #4
BlkHawk73

Anyone I'd want to be instructing a class I'd definitely want them to have certifications citing the've gotten proper instruction themselves. I'd also want those that have "been there, done that" and not just some one the instructors I've witness that are more Rambo wannabes with Hollywood training.
Would you want your doctor treating you or having been taught by someone that just took a couple courses themselves?
I've driven for decades, should I teach racer driving?
I learned to cook 30 yrs ago, am I culinary teacher capable?

Taking a carbine course and shotgun course and now capable of instructing??? I've taken 3 handgun courses locally, spent a week at Thunder Ranch and gone through the police academy qualification...I must be an expert.

Last edited by BlkHawk73; October 1, 2016 at 10:38 AM.
Old October 1, 2016, 09:49 AM   #5
g.willikers

Yeah, good scores with "Call of Duty" doesn't exactly cut it.
Old October 1, 2016, 10:00 AM   #6
Pahoo

Covers more than instructing

Quote:
These days, if you are going to present yourself as a genuine instructor you should have liability insurance, especially in California.
From what I'm seeing in our state, this is an important consideration. The certification carries more weight than you might imagine. ......

Be Safe !!!
Old October 1, 2016, 10:08 AM   #7
FireForged

What I look for in a SD instructor is someone who has actual experience in combating violence and dealing with armed predatory people. Teaching someone form and function 101 of firearms is one thing but if a person is going to talk to me about the methodology of any sort of defense, they had better have the creds to back it up along with real world experience.

If the pinnacle of a persons experience is a 2 or 3 day seminar .. I want nothing to do with them. If a person tells me that they have received hundreds of hours of training instruction and [years] of occupational experience in a related field, I will listen.
Old October 1, 2016, 10:15 AM   #8
wizrd

Without certification of any kind -- what would you call the course -- i.e. -- "Walt's Pretty Good Firearm Safety Course"?!! -- just wondering.
Old October 1, 2016, 10:27 AM   #9
Pahoo

Perforance !!!!

Quote:
If a person tells me that they have received hundreds of hours of training instruction and [years] of occupational experience in a related field, I will listen.
Yes, that would be preferred but usually not the case. There are many certified instructors who lack such credentials and are still effective. Then there are instructors that have this experience to the point of being full of themselves. As long as they can effectively teach what is required and "certified", I'm good with that, for the folks. .......

Be Safe !!!
Old October 1, 2016, 11:41 AM   #10
T. O'Heir

"...many certified instructors who lack..." Yep. Biggest question is, "Certified by whom?". Lot like a guy who just buys videos and then calls himself a gunsmith.
"...in home defense..." CA not kind of frown on thinking about that? Just curious.
Old October 1, 2016, 03:34 PM   #11
DaleA

All good comments but does anybody know what he legally needs to conduct the courses and charge people for them?

That is, so he doesn't get fined or sued...

Hey, he probably doesn't legally need insurance to conduct the class but should he have it anyway? And what kind of insurance would it be?
Old October 1, 2016, 03:44 PM   #12
g.willikers

Liability insurance if it's available.
Might have to be NRA trained to get it.
Needs a state sales tax license to collect the state's taxes for them.
Also need a place of business zoned for the activity unless he's going to set up folding chairs in the garage.
Since it's about guns, unless it's all being done at a range, might need to be sure the location is zoned for the presence of guns on the premises.
And lots more to open a business these days.
The American dream of running one's own business has turned into a nightmare.
Old October 3, 2016, 08:45 AM   #13
Don P

NRA basic Pistol Instructor certification, then purchase the instructor insurance.
Total cost should be just under $600 to obtain both certification and insurance
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old October 3, 2016, 09:35 AM   #14
shafter

What are your qualifications? Are you instructor qualified or just "pointers" qualified?
Old October 3, 2016, 09:50 AM   #15
WeedWacker

Location: Body: Clarkston, Washington. Soul: LaCrosse, Wisconsin
Just a quick comment for all the "needs to have been there done that to be MY instructor" people.

First, why do you need police or military credentials to coach shooters? I do one-on-one with new shooters just to get smaller groups in target shooting then point them to other instructors if and when they get beyond my area of expertise for instructing. I've never been on the police force nor in the military.

Second, those of you in a hand to hand martial art, do you require your teacher to be an octogon fighter or underground blood sport participant? Learning to use firearms as a defensive/offensive discipline isn't much different from Krav Maga "self-defense" classes.

To follow up, I've taken classes from police officers and there isn't much their experience adds to teaching the introductory defensive use genre a majority of Americans would find useful and actively seek. People need to start somewhere and more people will start the learning process than those that will continue on to higher education, so to speak (partly due to the high cost of firearms training).
Old October 3, 2016, 10:54 AM   #16
Glenn E. Meyer

If one is serious about becoming a professional in this business, besides the NRA courses, I would recommend instruction of the level of Tom Givens curriculum:

http://rangemaster.com/training/inst...opment-course/

He has more than that.

Also: http://massadayoobgroup.com/mag-ic/

There are also other quality folks out there who do instructor level courses. Just taking shooting courses may work for taking you friends out but for a business to be serious, you need more.
Old October 3, 2016, 11:43 AM   #17
g.willikers

When he asked about being an instructor for "general firearms safety", that's one thing.
But throwing in " in home defense", that's a whole 'nuther level.
Makes ya' wonder, don't it?
Old October 3, 2016, 12:21 PM   #18
Glenn E. Meyer

Not to disparage the OP and his intentions. However, I've talked to some local 'instructors' who never heard of major figures in the national and local training scene. Some local guys are great and I know they have been to the quality training venues.
Old October 3, 2016, 12:27 PM   #19
Pahoo

Types of Certification

Quote:
"Certified by whom?".
This comment has me asking just how many different certifications are acceptable. I am only familiar with the NRA certification....... ...

Quote:
When he asked about being an instructor for "general firearms safety", that's one thing. But throwing in " in home defense", that's a whole 'nuther level. Makes ya' wonder, don't it?
I agree and I am a certified to teach "General or basic firearm safety". I am often asked if I can teach CCW classes and firmly reply that I cannot as that is a different ball-game. I also hear that many "Certified" instructors are NOT well informed on legal issues. Again, Makes you wonder !! .....

Be Safe !!!
Old October 3, 2016, 12:39 PM   #20
shafter

Yup, it definitely gave the impression of more than just a safety and fundamentals of shooting class. The home defense remark makes me think he's going to be delving into more complex subjects that involve tactics which leads to legal issues that he'll need to be prepared to discuss.
Old October 5, 2016, 07:02 PM   #21
WeedWacker

Location: Body: Clarkston, Washington. Soul: LaCrosse, Wisconsin
Quote:
Yup, it definitely gave the impression of more than just a safety and fundamentals of shooting class. The home defense remark makes me think he's going to be delving into more complex subjects that involve tactics which leads to legal issues that he'll need to be prepared to discuss.
NRA has an app for that, so to speak. Personal Protection in the Home and requires a lawyer to teach half the course. The curriculum discusses cover vs concealment, backstops, shooting lanes, basic tactics for barricade and defend plus shooting from cover. Local bread and butter course, it fulfills the Idaho Enhanced CCW requirements.
Old October 5, 2016, 07:46 PM   #22
pax

Legally? If you're asking legal questions, do it down in the legal forum. But if you're asking Tactical or Training-related questions...

At its heart, a "home defense" instructor asks (and even expects) people to bet their lives and the lives of their loved ones on the quality of the instructor's information and the instructor's ability to impart that information to them in a meaningful way.

If that thought doesn't scare you down to your toenails, it's not the job for you no matter what classes you've attended or what certifications you have. If it sounds silly or overstated or like anything other than the bare truth ... same thing.

If that sobering thought does give you some hesitation, you won't ever again ask how little education you can get away with having. Instead, you'll start asking how much you can absorb, and of what quality.

pax
Old October 5, 2016, 08:00 PM   #23
johnwilliamson062

http://www.saftd.org/

Supposed to be pretty good, problem is almost no states recognize it for CCW.

A weekend course can't teach you how to teach or even provide detailed knowledge about the subject matter of a half-day course. You will still have one heck of a time without the NRA cert.
Old October 10, 2016, 08:07 PM   #24
Don P

Quote:
I also hear that many "Certified" instructors are NOT well informed on legal issues. Again, Makes you wonder !!
Correct. here in FLA as I have been instructed at the time of getting certified to do as well as other instructors teach/ instructing the CCW permit course being certified the NRA course teaches nothing about law/legal issues. Again in FLA current/retired LE can touch on the legalities or a lawyer in the CCW class setting. As I stated we were told not to get into the legalities on the laws as we are NOT versed in the law. I have to ask why does that make you wonder. As a NRA certified instructor should I also become a lawyer so i can instruct the folks getting their CCW from me on legal issues to stop you from wondering??? As an instructor I tell my students/folks taking the course to read the statutes that cover CCW and if they have more questions to consult with a criminal attorney versed in firearms law. I am informed on legal issues with regards to FLA statute 790 and I choose NOT to give legal advise as I am NOT an attorney. So wonder all you want
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old October 10, 2016, 08:46 PM   #25
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
instructing the CCW permit course being certified the NRA course teaches nothing about law/legal issues.
This is the funny thing about the CCW training. Basic pistol is the most common acceptable NRA course, but it is clearly not geared towards CCW.