The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 15, 2019, 06:28 PM   #26
RC20

Quote:
I was gifted 1,100+ rounds of once fired Federal Gold Medal brass in .308 Win. and when I loaded some up to try the primer pockets were so loose that the brass was for all practical purposes, useless.
While I have no love of FC, that clearly was over pressure rounds fired.

I picked up some Lapua like that once as well, most was fine but 5 were loose.
Old July 15, 2019, 06:43 PM   #27
BBarn

Since cartridge brass is a comodity and some "manufacturers" utilize a variety of plants and suppliers, I don't rely on the headstamp as an indicator of the finer particulars of a case.

Nearly all of my reloading is for fun and practice so I'm not looking for high precision. Therefore I don't fret much about brass headstamps beyond segregating brands.

For high precision one needs to know the history of the brass and keep track of it by lot.
Old July 15, 2019, 06:50 PM   #28
Reloadron

Quote:
I was gifted 1,100+ rounds of once fired Federal Gold Medal brass in .308 Win. and when I loaded some up to try the primer pockets were so loose that the brass was for all practical purposes, useless.
I have a question about that. I have about 5 or 6 boxes of Federal Gold Medal cartridges in .308 Winchester. The cartridges all have the same head stamp marking of FC 308 WIN. This ammunition is maybe 15 to 20 years old. My question is since the head stamp markings are the same as other Federal brass I have how does one distinguish between Federal Gold Medal cartridges and other Federal brass? The cartridges are all identical to me. As to the Federal Brass in general? I have never had problems with it but I also generally trash the brass after 5 or 6 loadings.

Ron
Old July 15, 2019, 07:35 PM   #29
Metal god

Quote:
how does one distinguish between Federal Gold Medal cartridges and other Federal brass?
When you fire it you keep it separate and marked as such . I've not done a deep dive on the FC head stamp but that's the only way I've been able to be 100% sure the brass is from GMM lot . I need to put some thought to it but I think there was something else I noticed over the years but don't recall off the top of my head what it was . I'd add that the fact I don't remember means I likely did not have that much confidence in it .

I believe I did a case volume test on GMM and other FC stamped cases and the GMM was way more consistent . I might have that data somewhere but it would be on some random paper in one of my log books . Not going to go look cus I don't know where to start .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old July 15, 2019, 10:02 PM   #30
Reloadron

Metal_God:
I agree absolutely, but the problem comes into play when someone tells me "this is 100 rounds of Federal Gold Medal Match" brass and looking at the brass or looking at the consistency or volume of 10 or so of the lot there is no way to tell. All I have is what someone giving me the brass tells me which in the case of free brass is fine but if I am paying for the brass how can one distinguish the difference and if there is a difference it does not reflect in the head stamps on the brass.

Like most when I fire brass I know what I shot and bag it marking the baggie with what it is. With commercial factory brass I know I can label it once fired whatever it was. When someone hands me a pile of brass and tells me it is once fired Federal Match brass there is no way to tell if it was actually once fired or their match Gold Medal stuff? The head stamp tells us nothing since all the brass manufactured by Federal has the same head stamp.

Ron
Old July 15, 2019, 10:29 PM   #31
Metal god

Quote:
Like most when I fire brass I know what I shot and bag it marking the baggie with what it is. With commercial factory brass I know I can label it once fired whatever it was. When someone hands me a pile of brass and tells me it is once fired Federal Match brass there is no way to tell if it was actually once fired or their match Gold Medal stuff? The head stamp tells us nothing since all the brass manufactured by Federal has the same head stamp.
Yeah in that case unless it's from a trusted friend I would just pass on the purchase or if for free not actually consider them the match brass . That is unless it's only a few . I may Do a quick water volume test with them and if they match the known GMM cases I have . I might just toss them in with the rest .

Last year some time maybe longer I had a several small batches of Rem 308 brass ( 30 to 100 ) each but each batch had a different number of firings from 1 to 4 times fired . I just annealed them all and put them all together as one lot . Instead of having 4 batches of 100 or less each I now have 1 batch of almost 200 . Not really the same as the GMM thing we are talking about but is an option hen your not sure of the firings or the history of a batch of brass . At least if you anneal them all you should end up with a relatively consistent batch of brass compared to what you had to start with .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .