The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 17, 2019, 03:13 PM   #1
John Wesley Hardin

Colt 2nd Gen 1860 Army vs Uberti

I have seen a few Colt 2nd Gen 1860 Army revolvers for sale recently for around ~$750. I was considering purchasing a new Uberti 1860 Army Replica for ~$450 before I found the Colt's. If the quality of the Colt revolvers is better than the Uberti, I am comfortable with spending the additional ~$300 for an actual Colt. I would love to find a couple Belgian-made Centennial 1860s, but they are getting harder to find than an original Colt.

So I guess my question is- "are the 2nd Gen Colt's better than the Uberti?
Old June 17, 2019, 07:13 PM   #2
Hawg

Not in my opinion. The finish on the 2nd gens will be prettier and they will have Colt markings instead of Italian markings but basically they're the same guns made from the same parts. Whether that's worth another 300 is up to you to decide.
Old June 18, 2019, 01:03 PM   #3
45 Dragoon

Yep!!!
In fact, the new Uberti's action parts are far superior to any S.A.s produced in the '70s/'8os. Two new Uberti's may trump a 2nd gen Colt (for the same $) unless you just "gotta have" the pony !! Either way, they have a short arbor . . . . that hasn't changed . . .

Mike

www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks
Old June 18, 2019, 01:57 PM   #4
arcticap

If one of them were a stainless Colt 1860 then I would say buy it.
I once passed one up at a gun show and had some regret afterward.

But if it were a regular 1860 model then probably not.
However if you inspected it and held it in your hand and decided that it had a special appeal, then I would say that it's entirely up to you.
Some are definitely prettier than others and who doesn't still believe in love at first sight?
Old June 18, 2019, 02:24 PM   #5
John Wesley Hardin

Arcticap- actually, the Colt I looked at is a Stainless, Fluted 1860 Army.
Old June 18, 2019, 03:49 PM   #6
Fingers McGee

Colt didn't make a 2nd Gen stainless fluted 1860 Army - But, Uberti did.

Colt made 1278 stainless steel 1860 Armies with rebated cylinders and 2670 blue fluted 1860 Armies
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old June 21, 2019, 03:08 AM   #7
arcticap

If you don't appreciate the stainless, then another option is the Pietta Old Silver polished steel models.
Cabela's is selling the Old Silver 1860.--->>> https://www.cabelas.com/product/shoo....uts?slotId=13
Old June 21, 2019, 05:27 PM   #8
44caliberkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcticap View Post
If you don't appreciate the stainless, then another option is the Pietta Old Silver polished steel models.
Cabela's is selling the Old Silver 1860.--->>> https://www.cabelas.com/product/shoo....uts?slotId=13
I have one of those and they are not polished steel, they are plated, possibly nickel, and in person, close up, they have lots of flaws and look pretty bad.
If you are going to shoot it, don't bother with the real Colt, as they only retain or command that price when in NIB, unfired condition. New Piettas, especially those from EMF, have very nice finishes and good wood. Either a Uberti or Pietta would be fine. Fit the arbor and use Slixshot or Tresso nipples and you'll have a great shooter.
Old June 21, 2019, 06:33 PM   #9
Hawg

Quote:
I have one of those and they are not polished steel, they are plated, possibly nickel
There's a guy on another forum that has one and said his is polished steel.
Old June 21, 2019, 08:59 PM   #10
44caliberkid

Polishing steel to that high a sheen is labor intensive (expensive) and would cost a lot more than $319. You have to polish steel like that for a master/ royal blue from a custom shop and just the finish is $400 - $600. No way is that polished steel. Nickel covers a multitude of sins. Whatever they use flakes off around the muzzle, and that's new out of the box. I don't think they even bother to polish it as much as a blued gun, because it's going to get plated.
Old June 23, 2019, 09:25 AM   #11
arcticap

According to Pietta, it does not have a nickel finish

Here's a thread where the Old Silver was tested to see if it had a nickle finish and it tested negative. --->>> http://blackpowdersmoke.com/colt/index.php?topic=2679.0

Page 1 --- "Hi, the Pietta 1851 Old Sliver arrived today. The fit and finish is perfect, it couldn't be any better. Barrel/cylinder gap 0.0045". The revolver was taken down to inspect the internals, perfect. A reduced power spring was installed and the hand shortened a couple thousands to have the .38 Colt/Special conversion cylinders operate properly. Both the Pietta 1851 and in the white Uberti 1851 frame were tested for nickel. The results for nickel are negative. An ohm meter was used to test if the finish was some epoxy clear coat, also negative. I still don't know what the finish of Old Silver is and emailed Pietta. Waiting for their reply."

Page 2 --- " Hi, Pietta answered me back. They said that the Old Silver finish is "white hardened steel"."