The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 4, 2019, 10:55 AM   #26
Jim Watson

I believe he was talking about rifles, in which the powder charge can be 1/3 the bullet weight or more. The "jet effect" is very pronounced.
Not so much in pistols.

Not sure about shotshells.
When I was shooting a lot of Trap, there was a theory that slow burning powders would accelerate the load more gradually and "spread out" the recoil even though a heavier charge was required. That was the American Model.
The European Model was to use a light charge of fast burning powder to minimize the ejecta.

My model? Could not tell a difference with the demands of getting on the targets.
Old February 4, 2019, 02:00 PM   #27
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
44AMP: "Could be, but isn't."

Refer to page 293 of Hatcher;....
Looking back now, I was in a hurry at the time, and probably should have said "it doesn't matter" instead of just "isn't". You mentioned the muzzle blast of the .22 Jet, and what I was trying to say is that the muzzle blast of the round isn't affecting my judgement of FELT RECOIL.

The energy of "ejecta" is certainly a calculatable thing. Might be useful if you are running numbers and looking for a result that tells you what part of A causes what part of B, but to me, it simply doesn't matter.

The powder gas, and what ever percentage it adds to, or composes of the recoil energy doesn't matter, in this case. It's not something we can separate out. it is but one of the many factors involved in FELT recoil, and I think other factors override the effect from powder gas, in this case.
Old February 6, 2019, 07:07 PM   #28
ThomasT

Quote:
I'm not sure where the idea that a .410 slug equates to a .41 Magnum comes from. I read that a .410 slug weighs around 87 - 110 grains, and it leaves the barrel of a shotgun at around 1,000 f/s or less. Paul Harrell has a YouTube video where he chronographs 00 buck out of a 3" magnum shell at 960 f/s. If that's the speed of a slug, that's roughly the equivalent of a .380 ACP - and not as powerful as a .380 ACP +P. No one thinks of a .380 as a powerhouse; adequate, sure - but powerhouse? The slug would have to be traveling far faster to reach the power range of a .41 Magnum. Granted, a .410 slug is larger diameter - but it's hard to imagine it as harder-hitting than a .40 S&W, for example, which throws a 135 grain out at about 1,300 f/s, more or less. Seems anemic compared to a defensive handgun - and even a 9mm, with a dozen or more rounds ready to go, bests it in bullet weight and velocity.

Update: I checked back to the Paul Harrell video to check my memory; he reported 960 f/s through a chronograph, but with buckshot, not a slug. If you calculate 00 buck at 60 grains per pellet, and 5 pellets per load, that's 300 grains - not 87-110 grains. That would explain the discrepancy; the slug would, given the same powder charge, no doubt be going much faster than the 3 times heavier buck pellets, and have a much higher muzzle energy than .380 - somewhere in the .357 to .44 Magnum range.
First you bring back a seven year old Zombie thread and start your reply by saying you don't know where people get the idea that a .410 slug is in the 41 mag class and finish your thread stating the .410 is between the 357 and 44 mag in power.

You're going to have a great career in the gun forums.

I load a 3 ball .395 diameter 95gr load in my .410 shells that should be going around 1150fps. That puts each ball somewhere above the .380 and just below the 9mm in power. I know they blow the crap out of 2x4 wood.
Old February 7, 2019, 02:01 AM   #29
44 AMP
Staff

I just watched a video of a guy firing a 3" Winchester .410 slug (1/5 oz) over a chronograph, from a 22" barrel gun. The chronograph showed 1808fps. Advertised velocity was 1830fps. That's close enough for me.

So, we've got a 87.5gr projectile at 1800 fps. The 1/4oz slug works out to be approximately 110gr, and its advertised velocity is 1800fps, so I would expect it to be a little slower than the lighter slug, but not a great deal lower.

But lets say the 110gr slug does 1700fps (it might be faster), what pistol round does that seem closest to?

I am still puzzled where the low numbers for slugs come from. All shotguns fire shot at speeds between (roughly) 1100-1300fps. This can be reached with black powder, and while faster speed is possible now, much faster is not done, with shot shells, because when you get past about 1300 or so, patterns get worse. Slugs don't worry about patterns. They are loaded to higher velocities than shot.
Old February 13, 2019, 07:16 AM   #30
darkgael

Earlier question about brass hulls.....
I have never been happy with .410 brass hulls. Why? The fit of components is an issue. Hulls from Magtech are drawn brass. The interior diameter is larger than standard .410 components. If you buy .410 slugs, they will rattle around the inside of a .410 Magtech brass hull. The same happens with shot loads...the hull is too wide for a proper fit with a .410 plastic wad.
If you want to try brass hulls that work with little fuss, you have to buy lathe turned hulls like those made by the Rocky Mt. Cartridge Co. The hulls are NOT cheap. $90 for 20 2.5"/$94 for 20 3". They are very well made and will last longer than the gun will.
Pete

Last edited by darkgael; February 13, 2019 at 07:22 AM.