The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old June 18, 2011, 02:39 PM   #1
spacecoast

Pushed the Bullseye bar higher today with my Model 17

My iron-sighted K-22 was working well today and I scored 784 (previous best 762). Slow fire continues to improve slowly (avg. of 78 per round). I found that the timed (90.3) and rapid fire (93.0) segments (which I shoot all DA) were even better with a reduced power Wolff main spring, and I had no ignition problems even with the cheap Federal Value Pack ammo that I used for TF and RF.

This gun (pictured below my K-38 below), in addition to the newly added Wolff main spring, also has a 13-lb trigger rebound spring and is silky smooth all the way through the DA pull with no stacking at the end. It's extremely easy to hold the sights right on the bullseye through the cycle.

By the end of September I will have been shooting Bullseye for a year. My goal is to hit 800 by that time, and also to shoot a perfect 100 round (my highest so far is 96 today in RF).

Last edited by spacecoast; June 18, 2011 at 02:51 PM.
Old June 18, 2011, 02:55 PM   #2
JohnKSa
Staff

That's good shooting, especially with a revolver, bargain ammo and only a few months in the sport.
Old June 18, 2011, 03:12 PM   #3
spacecoast

Thanks John, I use the higher-end subsonic Wolf target match for SF (as advised here a few months ago), but find that the brass is almost impossible to extract from the tight chambers in the gun even though it goes in easily. I did some fairly crude 25 yard testing off a rest and didn't see any difference in grouping between the cheap stuff and other types of ammo, and it extracts a lot easier (not to mention it's more economical), so that's what I've been using for TF and RF. I know I still have a lot of room to improve technique-wise, maybe the ammo will be more of an issue once (and if) I can get over 800.

I'm a pretty committed traditionalist, and I hate alibi rounds, hence the appeal of the iron-sighted revolvers to me. Sometime I'd like to get a nice 1911 to get started with .45 bullseye shooting, but even then I doubt that I'll go to a red dot scope until I just can't see the sights any more.

Last edited by spacecoast; June 18, 2011 at 07:35 PM.