The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 17, 2009, 08:25 PM   #51
aarhunt

yes i do!
Old January 17, 2009, 08:35 PM   #52
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

actually, i have no idea what i'm talkin about...but it sure sounds good though, doesn't it???!!! just kiddin'!! Just pay attention to detail when reloading for rifle. consult 2 or 3 manuals as far as powders and charges. Start 10% below starting loads and work up, ever-watchful for high pressure signs (flattened primers, split brass, noticeable increase in recoil, brass not wanting to eject, etc.). You will figure it out. Good luck!!

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old January 17, 2009, 08:38 PM   #53
aarhunt

Thanks for all help guys!!!!!!!!!!!
Old January 19, 2009, 07:30 PM   #54
BradF

I saw some handloaded 30/30 rounds that were not crimped many years ago. A guy I was hunting with had them. He missed a deer 2 times on the last day of the hunt. When he emptied the tubular magazine at the end of the hunt, each bullet was seated at a different depth. Some of them were pushed back into the case to the point they had almost fallen inside the case. Either the loading of the cartridges in the magazine, or the recoil of the first shot did a number on the seating depth. If you're loading for a tubular magazine, I'd be inclined to put a slight crimp on that 30/30. JMHO