The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 19, 2001, 11:51 PM   #1
SharpCdn

I am interested in reproducing as close as posible this load for a couple of my WW2 german pistols. (P.08 & p38)

I understand that they used a light bullet/high velocity combination, but am curious as to the actual projectile weight, and the average velocity from the pistols of that era.

I am also curious if they used higher pressure ammunition for their SMG's, or whether they used one load for all their 9mm firearms in their inventory at the time.

I have often wondered about the original 9mm loads, and appreciate any input you guys have on this subject.

Thanks in advance.
Old March 20, 2001, 02:07 AM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

Wow, which one to answer...

Eenie, meenie, miney, moe, when the timer hollers go, grab your gun & let it show, eenie, meenie, miney, HEY MOE!

Sorry, it's late, and I'm a little punchy...

Ok, back to your question.

AFIK, the standard German loading was a 124-gr. bullet going about 1,300 fps.

Although it has been widely bandied about for years that the Germans had two separate loadings, one for handgun, one for subgun, that's not the case.

The current NATO loading is, I believe, is done to the same specs as the old German load.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 20, 2001, 06:08 PM   #3
SharpCdn

Yeah about the three postings...well...I was trying to post it late last night, but each time it never showed up in the topics. I thought I did something wrong at first, but by the third time I thought something was wrong with the system and just gave up...I was worried all my attempts would catch up with me later! And they did, making me look like a real twit

Thanks for the feedback Mike, I guess then that is the load I will try to replicate as best as possible. I'm glad that we are still using the original specs for this cartridge, unlike the modern tamed versions of late (ie. 357 Mag).

I'll try to nuke those other postings now...
Old March 20, 2001, 09:47 PM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

Sharp,

Don't worry about it. I think every one of us has done the same thing in times past.

About a 8 months ago there was a peculiar software glitch & combination of other factors that allowed multiple identical replies in the same thread. I think the most ever seen was something like 11? Pretty humorous.

Old March 20, 2001, 09:59 PM   #5
Mal H
Staff

IIRC, the record is 27. I remember because I had to clean up the mess.

Thank God for vBulletin!
Old March 20, 2001, 10:57 PM   #6

How about some opinions on this. The first handgun I ever fired was a Luger that one of our neighbors brought back from the war. He told me the story of it's capture etc. He let me fire two rounds from it. He told me that the magazine was loaded with the very ammo that it was loaded with when he captured it. Being about 8 years old at the time, I kept the fired cases. They have a Remington headstamp.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old March 21, 2001, 02:47 AM   #7
Mike Irwin
Staff

Sure, didn't you hear the big stink about IBM supposedly not doing enough to prevent the Nazis from using Hollerith machines supplied by IBM's overseas divisions?

Probably the same for Remington...