The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old August 24, 2021, 07:43 AM   #1
GaryED50

Mainly just curiosity 460 weatherby maginum

hi guys. Haven't yet fired one of these, whats the recoil like?

Last edited by GaryED50; August 24, 2021 at 02:33 PM.
Old August 24, 2021, 08:14 AM   #2
stagpanther

It's right up there with their other big 5 cartridges like the .416 (which I have fired but not their .460). These days it's probably not available from Weatherby without the accubrake fitted by default (or at least a threaded muzzle), which goes a long way to "spreading" the felt recoil out and it will likely have a fine buttpad as well. Equipped thusly, you'll be surprised that the recoil is not nearly as bad as you might think or have read. First time I shot the .416 I was tensed up for shoulder Armageddon, after firing it my reaction was, "huh, is that all it is?" Honestly, no macho macho bravado--if you can handle a 2 3/4" or 3" 12 gauge magnum shotshell you'll have no problem with this IMO.

Last edited by stagpanther; August 24, 2021 at 06:55 PM.
Old August 24, 2021, 08:24 AM   #3
TXAZ

2600 ft lbs~ Depends if you have a brake on or not.
What t an effective brake likely not bad, but no brake could be like a donkey kicking your shoulder.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old August 24, 2021, 08:28 AM   #4
stagpanther

2600 ft lbs is what they use for instant limb surgery removal.
Old August 24, 2021, 08:44 AM   #5
mehavey

Using the same 9-lb rifle

30-06/150gr std
-- Recoil Velocity: 8.3fps; Recoil Energy: 9.7 ft-lbs

460W/400gr at 90% pressure/Ramshot Hunter
-- Recoil Velocity: 20fps; Recoil Energy: 52 ft-lbs

kapich ?
Old August 24, 2021, 12:30 PM   #6
jmr40

450, or 460. I'm familiar with the 460.

Quote:
Using the same 9-lb rifle

30-06/150gr std
-- Recoil Velocity: 8.3fps; Recoil Energy: 9.7 ft-lbs

460W/400gr at 90% pressure/Ramshot Hunter
-- Recoil Velocity: 20fps; Recoil Energy: 52 ft-lbs

A 30-06 is going to have more than 9.7 ft lbs recoil. That is a lot less than 243 and approaching 223. It varies by load and rifle weight, but my 30-06 loads in my rifles are in the 19-22 ft lb range.

A 460 WBY firing a 500 gr bullet at 2600 fps using 120 gr of powder is 120 ft lbs recoil in a 9 lb rifle. Most 460's are going to be a lot heavier than 9 lbs.

That is about 6X the recoil of a 30-06.

Winston Churchill
Old August 24, 2021, 12:34 PM   #7
44 AMP
Staff

There's a couple of small errors here that need correcting,
first, its the .460 Weatherby Magnum, not the.450.

second its not 2600 ft/lbs, its 2600 FPS (Feet per second) VELOCITY with a 500gr bullet. that works out to over 7,000 ft/lbs of energy. Seven THOUSAND foot/pounds...plus...

For comparison, standard hunting loads in the.30-06 run 28-2900 ft/lbs of energy and the heaviest 220gr loads hit 3000 ft/lbs.

Depending on the loads chosen the .460Weatherby develops between 2.3 and 2.5 times the energy of the .30-06.

due to Newtonian physics, recoil will be similarly multiplied. Think about that. Its NOT a 3" 12ga. Not even close.

I don't know how much a muzzle brake will tame that, but I'm sure it will help. Brake technology has come a long way since the late 50s when the .460 was introduced.

I got to handle (but not fire) one in 77. Beautiful rifle, full on Weatherby Mk V.

According to things I've read, the .460Weatherby Magnum was not well liked by African PH's. Cost and availability worked against it, as did the Mk V rifle (without a brake the Mk V stock is not the best design for heavy recoil) but what the disliked most, was actually its performance. For their tastes, it was, simply, too FAST.

there is a "sweet spot" in velocity (roughly 19-2300fps) where all the classic African "express" rifles operate. In that range, properly made bullets tend to punch through heavy bone, like elephant skulls, below that range sufficient penetration gets "iffy" and above that range bullets tend to "glance off" and not penetrate as often. Energy was more than sufficient, but the comparatively high speed of the .460 Weatherby actually reduced its dependability as an elephant stopper. Or so the people who were there in those days and tried it, said. Not that it didn't work at all, but that it wasn't something to be counted on.

When your job is to stop angry elephant or cape buffalo who are mere yards away, even ocassional failures are not only unacceptable, they can be fatal for the PH, or worse, his client.

Capstick related a personal experience with this though not with the .460Wby but with the .458 Win in one of his books. (I think its Death in the Long Grass, but am not sure)

He was working as a cropping officer, thinning elephant herds. He used a Win M70 .458 and (factory) ammo supplied by the game dept he worked for. He tells how he developed the habit of always leaving the last round in the magazine, in order to have a shot if he got charged during reloading.
Seemed smart to me.

Work for him, reloading over the last round in the mag, until the one day he actually had to use it. He fired several shots (10? perhaps) always reloading over the same round in the mag. The he got charged and had to use that last round. His shot was right, but the results weren't. His life was saved by his tracker distracting the elephant by throwing their water bag at its feet, which gave Capstick enough time to roll to the side and put another round into the rifle, and that one did drop the elephant.

Checking the beast showed that his "defective" round had hit in the right spot, but instead of penetrating, glanced off and skidded along the skull coming to rest under the skin at the back of its head.

Perplexed as to why this happened when all the other rounds performed as expected, he repeated the shots, shooting a termite mound, always reloading over the same round in the bottom of the magaine. after firing 10 shots (or what ever is was, I don't remember clearly), he looked at the last round in the mag and saw that the bullet had moved BACK INTO THE CASE by a significant amount.

we all know what that means, compressed powder space, increased pressure, which means higer velocity. Apparently enough to move the .458 slug out of the "sweet range" of velocity so instead to punching through it literally bounced off.

Capstick's books are great reads, looking at the life of a PH and cropping officer from a personal point of view.
Old August 24, 2021, 02:13 PM   #8
stagpanther

I didn't say the recoil of the .416 wby mag was comparable to a 12 gage--what I said was the Mark V safari/dangerous game hunter equipped with an accubrake and a good buttpad (like the pachmyer decelerator pad) makes the hit "spread out"--not like a massive kick. If you can handle a stout 12 gage magnum--like a slug (I should have mentioned that) then yes I believe you can handle the big Weatherby magnums. The 460 is bigger and heavier kicking, but not by all that much, over the .416.

Last edited by stagpanther; August 25, 2021 at 04:45 AM.
Old August 24, 2021, 04:36 PM   #9
mehavey

Quote:
A 30-06 is going to have more than 9.7 ft lbs recoil....
Uuuuuhhh ... `Don't think so.
This is a total systems problem:

30-06/150gr/3,000fps

Compare
460Wthrby/400gr/133gr-RamshotHunter/2,860fps/16-lb Rifle_No Scope

Take 25% off with MuzzleBrake (or so....)

CAUTION: The above post (or a page linked to) includes or discusses loading data not covered by currently published sources of tested data for this cartridge (QuickLOAD or Gordon's Reloading Tool data is not professionally tested). USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assumes any liability for any damage or injury resulting from the use of this information.

Last edited by mehavey; August 24, 2021 at 06:12 PM.
Old August 24, 2021, 04:48 PM   #10
Scorch

Just a bit of experience to help muddy the water a bit:
ALL Weatherby 460, 416 and 378 rifles come with a brake. Quite a good one, it really works to calm the beast. I have fired a 460 Weatherby with the brake on, it's no pussycat. The rifle weighed about 16 lbs with a scope on it, and recoil was stout.

As for what it's like to shoot a 460 without a brake, a client of mine years ago bought a Mark V in 460 Weatherby to take to Africa for big stuff (hippo, rhino, buffalo, etc. Don't remember if he was going for elephant). He practiced with it A LOT, 10 rounds a day for 2 months. He was comfortable with the rifle and the recoil after the practice. When he got to Africa, his guide informed him that the work safety people in that country (like OSHA) would not allow hunting guides to be exposed to blast from a muzzle brake, it would damage their hearing, so he had to take it off. Long story short, he took a shot at a buffalo with the brake removed. He said the recoil was tremendous! And when the buffalo went down, the guide was congratulating him and looked at his face, then grabbed him and sat him down, he had no idea why. The guide told him the whites of his eyes were blood red.

So, recoil? Yes, and plenty of it.
Old August 24, 2021, 06:09 PM   #11
mehavey

See comparison update in Post#9 for 16-lb 460_Weatherby
Old August 24, 2021, 06:43 PM   #12
stagpanther

I just tuned my friend's .416 wby mag for an African rhino hunt--it weighs about 8.5 lbs maybe another lb or so with scope. 6 shots in a row and came out of it no bruises, no afterpains, no problems, really. Holding it firmly pulling it in a bit and taking the hit with a bit of muzzle lift (without moving the torso back) and that's what I call "spreading" the felt recoil out. The accubrake and pad on the Mark 5's really do work. Did this off the bench, BTW since I was also zeroing a scope.

Last edited by stagpanther; August 25, 2021 at 04:48 AM.
Old August 24, 2021, 06:48 PM   #13
stagpanther

Quote:
See comparison update in Post#9 for 16-lb 460_Weatherby
You take your 30-06 on a dangerous game hunt--I'll gladly and confidently take a big bore Weatherby magnum over that in a heartbeat.
Old August 24, 2021, 08:14 PM   #14
mehavey

Stag, the question was compare & contrast recoil of the two.
-- (But) --
If in Grizzly country, my 1886 Win/`95 Marlin in 45-70/405gr at 35,000 CUP / 1,900fps (or so)
If in Africa, my Ruger M77 458 Win/500gr at 55-60,000 psi/2,200fps

Eat the recoil/match the weapon to the mission as it were....
(But practice each beforehand / off-hand* / multiple-shot /rapid fire)

* Offhand... that 458 Win/Load is eerr.... "OK"
... (Don't even consider it off the bench)
Old August 24, 2021, 08:21 PM   #15
stagpanther

Quote:
Stag, the question was compare & contrast recoil of the two.
Fair enough...I recently compared the recoil of the .416 Weatherby to my CZ 457 22lr.
Old August 24, 2021, 08:27 PM   #16
mehavey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stag
....recently compared the recoil of the .416 Weatherby to my CZ 457 22lr.
Depending on the mourning(sic) after night before....
Sometimes that can matter... a lot
Old August 24, 2021, 09:52 PM   #17
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryED50 View Post
hi guys. Haven't yet fired one of these, whats the recoil like?
Not bad at all with the WBY factory brake.
I have no desire to shoot one without brake.
Old August 24, 2021, 10:47 PM   #18
GaryED50

Thank you everyone this cleared up a lot

Gary
Old August 24, 2021, 10:57 PM   #19
44 AMP
Staff

OK, now I'm wondering (and no expert on Weatherby history) they introduced the 460 in the late 50s (57?) did they always come with a brake??

I cannot now remember if the rifle I saw in the 70s had a brake or not. TO the best of my memory at this time, if it had a brake it was one that didn't "bulge" the barrel profile. Might have had holes in the barrel, I just can't remember.

So if someone out there knows the older MK V .460s, can you tell us if they always had a brake or if not, when that started??
Old August 25, 2021, 07:48 AM   #20
stagpanther

I'm no expert either--but I will say I've never come across an actual Weatherby that weighed 16 lbs--though other companies have likely chambered for it and it's probable there are many builds out there as well, so a non-braked safari-style gun I would bet probably was made by somebody at some point, for example a Mauser-style controlled feed rifle.
Old August 25, 2021, 10:16 AM   #21
Pumpkin

I love his books and believe he was lucky that last 458 didn't lock the action up.
I think he did mange to blow up a Mauser in 458 Lott trying to shoot a croc with the rifle under water.
Old August 25, 2021, 10:37 AM   #22
FITASC

I know I have no desire to risk a detached retina with its recoil
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 25, 2021, 08:52 PM   #23
reynolds357

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44 AMP View Post
OK, now I'm wondering (and no expert on Weatherby history) they introduced the 460 in the late 50s (57?) did they always come with a brake??

I cannot now remember if the rifle I saw in the 70s had a brake or not. TO the best of my memory at this time, if it had a brake it was one that didn't "bulge" the barrel profile. Might have had holes in the barrel, I just can't remember.

So if someone out there knows the older MK V .460s, can you tell us if they always had a brake or if not, when that started??
The earliest ones had a built in brake that looked more like magnaporting than a real brake.
Old August 25, 2021, 09:02 PM   #24
reynolds357

I shot a 458 Win mag without a brake. It hurt. It hurt my shoulder and gave me a headache. There is about as much chance that I would shoot a 460 Wby without a brake as there is that I would shoot a 50 BMG without a brake. Ain't happening.
Old August 25, 2021, 09:08 PM   #25
Seedy Character

Sometime late 70s, early 80s; a gun mag had a recoil test. They put black line on a concrete walk. Set a radio flyer wagon on the sidewalk, with front wheels on the black line.
Guy sits in wagon, holds rifle butt against back of wagon and pulls trigger. They measured how far the wagon rolled.

IIRC, ,30-30 was something like 4". .30-06 was 8". .300 Win Mag was 24"
They shot 12-15 calibers, finally getting to .460 Wby. The wagon went over 14'

Not that a wagon rolling relates to your felt recoil in any way; it does have a qualitative means of the degree of recoil. Nor does it differentiate the sharpness of the recoil, just shows the amount of push.

An interesting note, a 12 Ga slug and a 3" 000 buck were over 15'. No actual result, as the walk was 15' and then grass.

I am fairly certain, Weatherby did not offer a muzzle brake until mid to late 80s.