The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old March 17, 2020, 10:28 PM   #1
lamarw

Picking Up My New Colt M1911A1 from CPM Tomorrow

I have been waiting for several years now for the Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP) to gain the authority and get the old M1911's & M1911A1 pistols out of military inventory to sell to us civilians. It finally happened. CMP is selling the vast majority of the pistols as fixed price guns in three condition categories with matching prices. CMP is also auctioning the cream of the crop or the best in the bunch at auction.

I won a Colt M1911A1 at the week before last auction. Below is a link to the one I scored. It was graded by CMP at 95% condition and has matching parts. It is not an Arsenal Rebuild like most of them. Anyway if you follow the below link, you will see a lot of pictures toward the end of auction listing.

Auction Link: https://cmpauction.thecmp.org/detail...1A1-SN-2345868

I will be picking it up at my FFL tomorrow afternoon. It will feel welcome since it will join my Colt M1911 of 1918 vintage and my Remington Rand M1911A1 I acquired last year.
Old March 30, 2020, 12:47 PM   #2
lamarw

It turned out much better than I expected. The only part not original was the Keyes grips. I had a correct set of Coltwood plastic with large reinforcement rings in my personal inventory. This is not a Arsenal Rebuild like most of the other CMP pistols.
Old March 30, 2020, 03:06 PM   #3
2wheelwander

Very nice! What other paperwork did you need to do? 25 years ago I went through the CMP with Dad to get a Garand, which was $350. I was young and didn't scrape up the money then. Dad did. I recall having to go to a range and shoot, etc.

Anything like that here? I know its an ignorant question, but I just don't know.
Old April 2, 2020, 02:29 PM   #4
lamarw

The CMP M1911 Package had to be completed and submitted by early Sept. 2018 (I have forgotten the exact date). Here is some of the information: https://thecmp.org/sales-and-service/1911-information/

It took CMP months to go thru the packages. The approved packages were run through a random generated computer program and numbers assigned to each approved package.

This may occur again if they receive additional M1911's/A1's pistols in the future. If so, they are supposed to open the submission of new packages after all the open approved packages are filled.

You also have to go through a background check by CMP and another one through your FFL upon receipt of your pistol. You pretty much had to submit everything twice since there was such a timeframe gap between initial package submission and when your random generated number came up.
Old April 29, 2020, 10:42 PM   #5
veprdude

It was a PITA but worth it. My number on the list was outside the number of pistols to be sold but I got one anyways (August 2019). I guess some folks were declined or something.

There were 2 NICS checks. One from CMP and one from your FFL. Due to pistol regulations they would only ship to an FFL. Normally rifles ship directly to your door as if you had a C&R license.