The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 27, 2012, 02:01 AM   #1
Thompson1919

Small magazines and their springs...

The relentless debate over magazine spring fatigue through either constant compression or cycling is not my question here. I have my own opinion and practices as I'm sure every one else here does... HOWEVER, every article, post, etc. that I've read has been referenced with either full size or officer model 1911 magazines.

The question is this: Should the same procedures followed for larger 1911 magazines be followed with "small" size single stack magazines, specifically for a Sig Sauer P238? The question is NOT which procedure is "better", (i.e. cycling mags vs. static compression), but if experience out there indicates an inherent difference in how a pocket auto magazine should be treated.
Old September 27, 2012, 02:15 AM   #2
Bill DeShivs

I have 2 Star DKs-the pistol the SIG was copied from. They date from the late 1950s-early 1960s. Both have had their magazines fully loaded for 35 years, that I know of. Springs are fine.

Tags
compression , magazine , p238 sig sauer 380 , pocket gun , spring