The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old April 14, 2009, 02:08 PM   #201
Dan The Sig Man

G-Man...

From what I have heard from Win. and Rem. is that they are not shipping out Primers because they are taking them straight from the Primer line to the Ammo line (In the same Plant) and putting the primers on the Ammo production line to increase thier daily production of factory ammo. that is one of the reasons that Primers are not appearing on the Shelves the way that we wish they would, but maybe that will turn around in the next month or so. But Who knows.
Old April 14, 2009, 02:57 PM   #202
James R. Burke

What Jim243 said sounds like good advice. Just the correct amount to have if your not into comp shooting, and your not hoarding. Thats what I am going to do from now on. I was caught a little off gaurd, but it wont happen again. I mainly use the large rifle, and small mag pistol so if I have 2,000 of each I am a happy camper. So from now on thats what I am going to keep on hand. I got lucky and found the ones I needed, I could have got 1,000 more but I left it for someone else knowing I had what I needed. When I went back to get some powder they where gone. Now I am having a hard time finding the powder I need. I have enough for awhile, but I am going to do the same with that. I use five differnt types so I figure if I have three pounds of each on hand I am good to go. I dont need anymore than that, so there is no sense causing a problem for a fellow shooter or someone just getting into it. It's a good clean sport/hobby, and I hate to hear someone just starting out not being able to get what they need or taking a chance using something they should not. I am sure this whole thing will clear up, just need some time.
Old April 14, 2009, 03:02 PM   #203
tiberius10721

I use lee turret press to reload 45 acp,38special 357magnum.I shoot at gunnrunner indoor range in merced .I like to shoot there on saturdays cause everybody leaves thier brass laying around and management doesnt say anything to me when i pick it up.I also shoot a few rounds out of my black powder pistol once in a while there an nobody complains.great place to shoot. they charge ten dollars for the whole day!I can usually pick up enough brass to make up for the range fee.I know Im such a cheapskate lol!
Old April 14, 2009, 03:21 PM   #204
45Marlin carbine

you shoot .38 spcl? derned noobs - you don't know what real pistols are!
Old April 14, 2009, 03:24 PM   #205
Dan The Sig Man

Well here in Cali I am not allowed to shoot my MR DE .50 cal, so it is in NC with my mother. I am shooting 9mm and 40 S&W right now, just to keep my aim on and plus 40 S&W is all that CHP shoots, so I will be good if I get into the CHP. CHP standard issue is the S&W 4006 TSW
Old April 14, 2009, 05:26 PM   #206
45Marlin carbine

if you're concerned about safe-keeping of your .50 have mom send it up here to the mountains of NC - I'll look after it for you!
Old April 14, 2009, 05:39 PM   #207
Dan The Sig Man

Yeah I figured you say that... nah it is under safe and only I have the Combo, so I aint giving that up at all.

She might be pretty close to you as well. She lives in Liberty, NC just south of greenboro... Da*N I miss that place, I could go out in my back yard and waste through 500 rounds and never once hear a complaint.

Last edited by Dan The Sig Man; April 14, 2009 at 05:49 PM.
Old April 14, 2009, 05:48 PM   #208
Dan The Sig Man

Well one positive thing that I can State for the day is that 1 out of 2 places here in Fresno have RamShot Silhouette powder in stock... $20 a 1lb. Doesnt sound too bad. I have some Brass, and I have found a few places that have good prices on FMJ 9mm and 40's. So I am almost there. Just need for my Lee Turret Kit and my Dies to get here and I will ALMOST be ready. I havnt been able to find Bullseye powder local. maybe I will Backorder some Primers at Graf's and add a couple lbs. of powder too.
Old April 14, 2009, 07:06 PM   #209
Wulfmann

Dan,
May I suggest RamShot ZIP.
It gives more rounds per pound and is so much cleaner than Bullseye or Unique it is remarkable.
I call those two semi-smokeless powders because they almost remind one of black powder.

I used Bullseye for 15 years but have switched to ZIP and will never go back (plus it cost less to boot)
I can also recommend Win 231 but it will cost more per round than ZIP.

Wulfmann
Old April 14, 2009, 09:24 PM   #210
tiberius10721

well wulf man you caught my interest on that Im going to check out this ramshot powder Id never heard of it before.
Old April 14, 2009, 10:07 PM   #211
Dan The Sig Man

Graf's has it in stock as of right now. I am looking for it Locally so that I can avoid the Hazmat charges.
Old April 14, 2009, 10:46 PM   #212
Cult .44

One thing I've noticed here in Minnesota is the warmer weather is making the range a lot less crowded. Maybe summer diversions will reduce demand for ammo and the factories will get caught up on supply.
Old April 14, 2009, 11:27 PM   #213
PCJim

Dan, why don't you and Tiber get together and create a mini-group buy. How close are you two to each other? Just a thought.
Old April 15, 2009, 05:14 AM   #214
hounddawg

the stuff can be found if persistent. I only started reloading again a couple of months ago and I have scrounged up a couple of thousand small pistol, a thousand or so small magnum pistol and about 4K of large pistol primers from my "local" shops. Once I had to drive 120 miles (one way) but I took the bike and it was a nice day for a ride anyway.

I would like to find another 1000 small pistol because those are what I am burning through, but if I get down to 500 on hand I will just place a back order with some online store and shoot the heck out of my .45 and .22 I saw the post yesterday on Natchez in time to place a order and almost ordered 1000 or two large pistols but since I have enough for several more months figured that would be hoarding and decided against it.
Old April 15, 2009, 05:36 AM   #215
45Dave

Federal Ammo companys reply

I called Federal Ammo about primer shortage, there reply was they are making primers 7 days a week, 24 hours a day at maximum output. They have no shortage of materials or people to make primers.
The gal stated there are two things going on right now touched on in this thread.
1-The demand for ammo is at a record level so more of there primers are going to make finished ammo which is being purchased.
2-The demand is huge for primers either due to increased shooting/reloading and or people are stocking for future problems.

So..at least Federal is making as many as possible and selling them to there customers where they disappear off the shelf.

I know one IDPA comp shooter will run through at least 20,000 primers a summer for his game and is worried that right now he only has 9,000 on hand which will only last him half season. Imagine 200 guys like this and it is easy to see how a store can be cleaned out fast.
Old April 15, 2009, 07:43 AM   #216
45Marlin carbine

how does 'Zip' compare to BE and such in burn rate? I can't find any data pertaining to.
Old April 15, 2009, 10:09 AM   #217
jisom001

Where are the Primers?

I have had a backorder in at Midsouth for months. The Remington 7 1/2 small Rifle were supposed to already be there, the CCI 500's are suppsed to be there on 5/1/09. I have a standing request with MidwayUSA to email me when they get primers. They got 1,000,000 Remington small pistol primers yesterday, by the time that I got to my emails at 9:00pm they were sold out. I don't even like Remington small pistol primers. I bought some Wolf small rifle from MidwayUSA the last time they said that they had any. I wouldn't usually buy Wolf primers cause I have heard a lot of whiners bitch about them. I haven't had any problems with them myself; but I don't wear my firing pin mechanisms out and not replace them.
Old April 15, 2009, 11:13 AM   #218
Wulfmann

http://www.ramshot.com/powders

There is a Adobe Acrobat file you can download of all their loading data.

I tried ZIP because it is similar in burn rate and high round count load per pound but while I admit I also did it because it was cheaper it is so much cleaner doing the same thing and I have switched to it and will never use BE again.

Wulfmann
Old April 15, 2009, 03:47 PM   #219
James R. Burke

I e-mailed Hodgon, and asked them what was going on with the powder etc. I got a answer from Mike Daily. He said they are running full out to try, and keep up but people are no doubt hoarding. He stated the normal person who is buying one or two pounds are now buying twenty to forty pounds, all because of some rumors. He went on to say what he is really worried about is the future. He stated when they do get caught up people that have enough for the next four to ten years will no longer be buying, and that is going to put the small places out of business because they will no longer need anything. Makes sense if you think about it. I know my spelling and grammer is very bad but who cares? Like I said before I am set on primers so I wont buy anymore. Just need a few pounds of powder, and I am fine. I like hunting mostly, and working up a new load now and then. I do a little target shooting but not a whole lot, mainly hunting. The comp shooters have always used alot of stuff, and that make sense so they are not doing it. The hazmat going up 2.50 cents is not doing it either. Like I said before I feel sorry for the new reloaders getting into it not being able to get what they need, or taking a chance, and not using the proper reloading componets that they should. I am sure not everyone is going to agree with me, and that is o.k. it is a free country, and people can buy all they want if that is what they choose to do. That is what makes America "Great". Maybe if I am lucky I wil get a quote from Rembrant.
Old April 15, 2009, 05:40 PM   #220
Dan The Sig Man

Well boys... Patents has paid off a little bit. I decided today that I was going to go over to a local place that carries reloading suplies and equipment. Well I mainly went cause I wanted to get some Powder (Which they didnt have), but when I was asking the at the checkout (Cause I bought some other things I wanted) what the deal with reloading supplies, he said... Wait for it... "I do have some Small Pistol Primers" I said "WHAT!!!" The guy said they are limited to 1,000 per customer and i told him to give me a box of 1,000. Well it cost me $45 for the box, but I figured atleast I can start learning the Reloading with that, and wait tell I can get more down the line. Even if he said I could have bought the whole 5,000 I wouldnt have, I dont need them right now. I will just get on a Backorder list somewhere and get 5,000 in a couple months. I will never finish these 1,000 off in the next 2 months. I only shoot about 200 rounds a week and I have about 2,000 9mm factory ammo to burn through and about 500 40s&w to burn through. So I might start trying to reload the 40's first just so I can learn. I have aout another week or so before my Dies are here anyways. My Press shipped out today and the dies should be shipping first of next week.

They are starting to Surface boys... Lets just hope that Hoarders dont start their BS before us simple people can get some.
Old April 15, 2009, 05:52 PM   #221
45Marlin carbine

good advice Dan. I sure need another 1K sp myself - just in case, I got caught short and can't load anymore sp. but I'm hopeing the supply picks up soon, if so I'll 'stash' 2-3K.
that will keep me and nephews OK if SHTF for quite awhile.
Old April 15, 2009, 07:38 PM   #222
Well Regulated

I stopped by a national sporting goods store this afternoon and they had a lot of Remington .308 ammunition and some other brand which they didn't have before. This may mean a relief in the pressure on the primers is on the way if they are getting a good stock of manufactured ammo in.
Old April 15, 2009, 08:45 PM   #223
tiberius10721

sheesh 45dollars for a box of primersmad:
Old April 15, 2009, 08:46 PM   #224
tiberius10721

hopefully people will start running out of money to hoard
Old April 16, 2009, 02:55 PM   #225
Nate1778

Bass Pro Shop in Clarksville was out of primers. They did have a decent selection of dies and presses, but limited amounts of powder. I did pick up 4lbs of red dot for $64 which isn't bad once you factor in the Hazmat shipping. They also hod a bunch of bullets in stock, but there were dead spots in that selection as well. Shot was $40 per 25# which was still high IMO. Other than that they seamed to be relatively reasonable with the rest of their pricing. Talked to the guy at the counter and he said they got their primers direct from Winchester and Remington, neither has shipped them anything in 6 months.