The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old November 29, 2004, 09:37 PM   #1
PhotoRecon

A-Merc

As if no one here has heard this before, I've been running into A-Merc or American Ammunition again. The packaging is different but the insides are still the same. Also, I was just reading on another forum about recent (i.e. 11/26/04) Kabooms in Glock 21s with the A-Merc 45 ACP 230gr. C3.

I was able to take five of these recent production rounds apart and found the bullet diameters measured .445" and that the brass is thicker at the case mouth by at least .003". Needless to say when reloading standard diameter bullets the case would bulge to the point it would never chamber. Obviously, despite brass and boxer primer it is not reloadable.

Those not familiar with A-Merc or American Ammunition may well want to search the forums about it.
Old November 29, 2004, 10:49 PM   #2
SmokinTom

Try a larger expander and taper crimp your finnished rounds.Good luck
Old November 29, 2004, 11:25 PM   #3
JohnKSa
Staff

That stuff is dangerously bad quality. I won't buy or shoot the stuff any more and wouldn't even THINK about reloading the brass.
Old November 30, 2004, 12:17 AM   #4
PhotoRecon

SmokinTom:

No thank you on your suggested solution. Reloading A-Merc brass with a combined casemouth thickness of .027" (i.e. .0135 on each side of the bullet) plus a standard .452" lead bullet results in .479" compared to SAAMI of .473". Why try and force a square peg into a round hole?

The particular load I mentioned resulted in the following kaboom only three days ago.

http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/g21kb4.html

http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/g36kb.html

Thats only one example of many with A-Merc. The forums are filled with info on it dating back several years.

Last edited by PhotoRecon; November 30, 2004 at 08:38 AM.
Old November 30, 2004, 10:06 AM   #5
Jim Watson

A-MERC has a terrible reputation. The ammo is junky and the brass is seldom reloadable.
The worst part is that they bought up what was left of Triton and are now cataloging Quik-Shok ammo. If this is the same quality as the rest of their stuff, it is nothing to take to a gunfight no matter what the bullet design.
And, they are now the US agent for IMI. If they start loading IMI/Samson label ammo for our market, watch out.
Old November 30, 2004, 11:29 AM   #6
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Oh, NO!

Jim Watson, I hate to read that about the A-MERC/IMI connection. I've always been reasonably impressed with the Samson ammo. Guess I'd better forego that product line henceforth.

On the other hand, my experiences in attempting to reload A-MERC brass have proven it is NOT worthwhile. I really hate to pick up a batch of left-behind brass on the range and discover it has been contaminated with A-MERC. I toss it ALL - - Won't even use it for the rankest plinking ammo or SMG loads.

Luckily, I've never spent a penny on loaded A-MERC ammo. I had my bad experiences in trying to load the brass, and read the BAD reports. I untypically had the good judgement to learn from others' mistakes . . . .

Thanks for the info - -
Johnny
Old November 30, 2004, 12:38 PM   #7
Jim Watson

Well, I did say "if."
If all A-MERC does is import and distribute IMI from Israel, that should be ok.

If they start loading IMI label ammo along with their house brand, that will be the end of IMI. Some of the house brand is listed with "Di-Cut" bullets, which I think to be an IMI trademark. Ick.

I'd try a little late issue IMI to see... if I saw any for sale, which I haven't for a long time.
Old November 30, 2004, 12:43 PM   #8
Erich

I was excited to see Natchez advertising "IMI 9mm 158gr Subsonic" (not especially thrilled with the bullet weight, but I've always liked the IMI stuff I've shot), but then I saw that "[t]his cartridge assembled exclusively by A-MERC and IMI . . ." and just thought, "I guess I'm never buying IMI again."

FWIW, the Natchez ad for the ammo ends with "Qualified by the IDF."
Old November 30, 2004, 02:31 PM   #9
Black_Snowman

I was verily saddend to hear of the IMI / A-Merc team-up. All of the IMI ammo and components I've seen have been high quality. Hopefully it will be a imporation / comercial venture only and production won't be mixed, or if it is, the IMI products replace A-Mercs . . . um . . . products. :barf:
Old November 30, 2004, 02:40 PM   #10
Tom2

Country of origin?

Where is the American brand stuff made, that blows up guns? Despite being called such, I suspect it could be of overseas origin? Please advise, I am curious. I would wonder how they obtain out of tolerance components in this country. Sounds like a lawsuit to me.
Old December 1, 2004, 07:34 AM   #11
johnbt

www.a-merc.com

"MADE IN AMERICA, BY AMERICANS, FOR AMERICANS"

The site says they are vertically integrated and make their own brass and bullets.

JBT
Old December 2, 2004, 09:37 AM   #12
foghornl

A-Merc (American Ammo) is based in Florida...Miami, IIRC.

Shooting buddy gave me a partial box of the stuff in .45ACP. Would not function properly in my KP-90 Ruger. Ruger's auto-pistols have a well-deserved reputation for eating anything you feed them. Stove-pipes, inconsistant recoil/report, etc. Took a couple of them, and was able to mash the bullet down into the case using nothing more than thumb & pinky pressure.

Same buddy had a box of A-Merc .38Spl. Would barely stay on the paper @7Yards fired from his recent make (1999 or so vintage) Model 10. Holes in the target looked more like someone was throwing the bullets sideways. Tried a few in my snubby .38...no better. Popped a cylinder full from my .357 Vaquero same result. We looked closely at a couple of them "Hey, this crimp looks...weird." Pulled & miked 2 of them..bullet was .353" too small to even meet 9MM Parabellum specs.

Calling this stuff ammunition is like calling Rosie O'Dumbo a "Hot Babe"