The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 19, 2019, 06:49 PM   #1
Bartholomew Roberts

California Gun Confiscation Hits A Bump

The state budgeted $24 million to confiscate 20,000 guns from potential mental health risks in 2013 after Sandy Hook. The original goal was to accomplish this in three years.

Six years later, only 11,000 of the initial guns have been confiscated, the $24 million is gone, and new “mental health risks” are being added to the list faster than authorities can process the backlog in guns to be confiscated.

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/20...inues-to-grow/

I guess the logistics of that are trickier than it looks.
Old February 19, 2019, 07:39 PM   #2
TXAZ

Gee. That's just too bad. $24M gone for 11,000 guns, they probably could have just offered half the $2200 they already spent on each of those guns and collected a lot more.

I'm absolutely *** ******* ******* ****** some government organizations can be. And yea, I used to be a bureaucrat.
(Self censored )

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old February 20, 2019, 05:49 AM   #3
Spats McGee
Staff

I'm shocked, SHOCKED, I say! /sarcasm
Old February 20, 2019, 05:51 AM   #4
DaleA

It's low hanging fruit so I'll go for the obvious reply...

"But, but they said 'no one is going to take away your guns'!!!"

You know, I wish we (well my state anyway) would learn from stuff like this. Like the 'bullet database' they tried in New York or the long gun registration they did in Canada. Unwieldy, expensive bureaucratic nightmares that DID NO GOOD!
Old February 20, 2019, 08:41 AM   #5
PolarFBear

How do the State "agents" know who has/and where the guns may be? Thought records were soon purged after a purchase? What about "inherited" firearms? Any agency looking to see where the $$$$$ were wasted? When is N. California going to go it's own way? Etc? Etc? Etc?
Old February 20, 2019, 09:47 AM   #6
MoMan

How do the State "agents" know who has/and where the guns may be? Thought records were soon purged after a purchase? What about "inherited" firearms?

States like CA, NY, IL, etc. have a perfect data base of "most" firearms in the state. Example; NYS has a permitting system where EVERY handgun is listed on the permit, complete with serial number. It is illegal to own a handgun in NYS without having a pistol permit. Every handgun requires an amendment prior to the purchaser taking possession of his handgun from the FFL. These amendments often times take months because the judge actually wants to sign off on it. Also NYS requires that "all" transfers (except inherited) of firearms be done through an FFL, this includes long guns as well.

These are some of the main reasons we left NYS when I retired. Well, this and the ridiculous taxes as well.

Member: NRA/Kentucky Regulators Gun Club/LaSalle Sportsmen's Club
Old February 20, 2019, 05:16 PM   #7
PolarFBear

Mo-Man; thanks. Gee. I am FORTUNATE to live in a FREE state.
Old February 20, 2019, 06:26 PM   #8
Mike38

Quote:
States like CA, NY, IL, etc. have a perfect data base of "most" firearms in the state.
Not legally in Illinois. The FOID (Firearms Owners Identification) card does not register firearms, only the person. Just because you have an Illinois FOID card, it doesn't mean you own a firearm. My wife is an example. She's has had a FOID card for 20 years now. Doesn't own a firearm, never bought a firearm, never even bought ammo. The only reason she has it, is if something happened to me, she could take possession of my guns without having to jump through any hoops.
Old February 20, 2019, 07:01 PM   #9
DaleA

Quote:
How do the State "agents" know who has/and where the guns may be?-MoMan
IMhO an excellent question.

Maybe not a huge problem if the guy (or gal) lives in a studio apartment and has a Barrett .50 cal but what if the guy lives in a normal home and has an itty-bitty Ruger LCP?

Is the guy (or gal) forced to present the gun, or go to jail? Do the authorities trust this is the only firearm the person has?

Searching a home would be long and expensive.

And after they have tossed the home and left with "all" the persons firearms the person is left alone with their tools, their propane tanks, their pressure cookers, their Ford F-150 pickup, Chicago Cutlery 8 piece knife set and 50 foot of paracord in the junk drawer. Yeah no need to worry about the person being a danger to themselves or others once the GUNS are gone.
Old February 20, 2019, 10:14 PM   #10
FITASC

Quote:
I guess the logistics of that are trickier than it looks.
So is the LOGIC being trickier
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old February 21, 2019, 01:25 PM   #11
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
NYS has a permitting system where EVERY handgun is listed on the permit, complete with serial number.
In the 1970s, when I got my permit, each pistol was listed by maker, caliber, barrel length, and serial number. Those pistols, and only those pistols were what you were permitted to have. (and, back in the 70s, the amendment process for adding a new pistol took about 2 weeks, not months. IF you lived in the right county...

Quote:
" a perfect data base of "most" firearms in the state."
A database yes, but far from perfect. I moved out of New York State in 1979. in 2001, Saratoga County contacted me, informing me that, since I was no longer a state resident, my permit was no longer valid, and they wanted it back! The wallet sized non-laminated paper permit issued 30+ years before, and they wanted it back...

Oh, and they also wanted to know where the guns listed on the permit were. (I had half a dozen pistols listed on that permit).

I didn't give them a civil reply.....

Quote:
The state budgeted $24 million to confiscate 20,000 guns from potential mental health risks

Not knowing the ins and outs of CA law, is it actually legal there to confiscate firearms from "potential" mental health risks, as opposed to actual mental health risks?? Who gets to decide that??

Federal law requires adjudication by a court before stripping gun rights from someone. CA State law doesn't????
or is this another one of those "temporary" measures where temporary is however many years it takes for a court to rule??