The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 21, 2016, 05:23 PM   #1
johnwilliamson062

Purchasing shotgun for 501C3

I'll check with a legal authority, but wanted to do a little research before I make the call.

I know of a Junior trap team purchasing "loaner" shotguns for the coming season. Just so happens I have an acquaintance with one of the brand and model they are after in the back of his safe. Bought from a dying friend who couldn't legally pass it to heirs at a good price. I'd been considering the purchase myself as it is a good deal, but I would need to use the money set aside for my Benelli M2, and I am hesitant to do so. I am wondering how it could be transferred to the organization which is organized as a 501C3. Can I purchase it and transfer it to them? Do I need someone from the organization to make the buy? Since it is a corporation, can I act as their agent and purchase for them? The organization includes one or more FFLs who would likely make any necessary transfer for free. Since it won't be crossing state lines, can I act as a courier?

I wouldn't normally mess with such a transfer, but, you know, it's "for the children."
Old March 21, 2016, 05:48 PM   #2
dogtown tom

Quote:
johnwilliamson062 ... how it could be transferred to the organization which is organized as a 501C3.
As long as your state law doesn't require some sort of registration.....buy the gun, give it to the organization.

if buying a firearm from a licensed dealer, then an officer of that organization fills out the Form 4473 and provides the dealer with a written statement that the firearm is being acquired for and will be the property of the organization.
(see instructions to Question 1. on the 4473)

Quote:
Can I purchase it and transfer it to them?
Yes, as long as your state doesn't have other requirements.

Quote:
Do I need someone from the organization to make the buy?
No.

Quote:
Since it is a corporation, can I act as their agent and purchase for them?
While this wouldn't be a straw sale (since the seller is not a dealer) I would avoid this. If your intent is to profit by flipping the gun I would definitely not do this.

Quote:
The organization includes one or more FFLs who would likely make any necessary transfer for free. Since it won't be crossing state lines, can I act as a courier?
There is no need to use an FFL. The seller is a nonlicensee, the buyer is a nonlicensee. Both are located in the same state. If your state doesn't require all firearm transactions to go through a licensed dealer, there is little reason to do so.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old March 21, 2016, 06:12 PM   #3
johnwilliamson062

To clarify, I won't be funding the purchase, at least not in full. I may bite off a piece of it, but definitely not the whole thing. Not a Mossberg 500 were talking about.

Last edited by johnwilliamson062; March 21, 2016 at 06:22 PM.