The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old August 4, 2015, 11:49 PM   #1
Deja vu

Hunting with an SBS?

Here in Idaho it is legal to hunt with an SBS (sawed off shotgun). I have been thinking about using mine for upland game this year.

Mine is a model 1887 replica cut to 10 inch barrel and threaded for screw in chokes. Mine was also tuned (before cutting the barrel) by a cowboy action gun smith to make it more smooth and reliable. It came with a pistol grip but I also got a shoulder stock for it.

Patterning the gun with chokes results in a similar pasterns as my 22 inch 870 with the same choke (Modified and Full)

I also shot it over my Chronograph and to my surprise it is only slightly slower (75-200 FPS) velocity wise than my 22 inch shotgun wish several different loads tried. Slugs seemed to loose the most velocity but still not to a point that I feel it effects performance.

The one down side is that it is very loud. Ill wear a set of electronic muffs.

So my question is, is there a reason I should not try it?

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old August 5, 2015, 12:39 AM   #2
9x19

No reason at all... folks hunt critters with handguns all the time, no reason you can't try the same with a smooth-bore.
Old August 5, 2015, 09:51 AM   #3
Deja vu

Obliviously ill be using the shoulder stock when I am hunting with it.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old August 5, 2015, 10:52 AM   #4
Txhillbilly

I must say,I do like that shotgun!
Old August 5, 2015, 04:02 PM   #5
dakota.potts

If the gun patterns the same with the same shot as another gun you would take hunting (at the same hunting distances) I don't see why you couldn't.
Old August 7, 2015, 08:33 PM   #6
Deja vu

its not exactly the same but its close. It tends to shoot a little higher. but the width of the pattern is vary similar.

Old August 8, 2015, 02:16 AM   #7
johnwilliamson062

I wouldn't see anything wrong with using it for upland even with the pistol grip. With upland you either hit or you miss ad no one is going for shot placement.

With the stock I don't see why it couldn't be used for deer at moderate ranges most handgun hunt at. You would have to test it out, but I would imagine 50 yards would be ok.

Be especially careful of where you swing it when tracking a bird though.
Old August 8, 2015, 07:40 PM   #8
FITASC

The velocity loss will be noticeable and the swing dynamics will totally suck, but if it looks like fun for you, give it a try.............
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old August 9, 2015, 12:35 AM   #9
Deja vu

a velocity loss of 75-100 FPS is noticeable? That is about all I loose with most bird shot load. Slugs loose more at about 100-200 FPS, at least the brands I tested (Federal, Remington and Herterz). I doubt I would even notice a 200 FPS loss.

You are right about the swing dynamics though. I defiantly is much more " "whippy" than my other 12ga shotguns.