The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old March 4, 2011, 10:27 AM   #1
crashdummy

Webley Mark II

I recently acquired a Webley mark II revolver serial no 401XX.
Unfortunately, the cylinder has been shaved, and the grips are not original.

The backstrap is marked
B.A.
BRFA
I assume that these are unit issue markings ?
Any idea of when it was manufactured ?
Any help would be appreciated
Thank you and have a GREAT day !
Old March 4, 2011, 10:59 AM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

The Mk II was authorized in the middle of 1895 and was produced until sometime in 1897 when the Mk III was adopted.

Even though your gun has had the cylinder shaved, DO NOT SHOOT IT WITH SMOKELESS POWDER LOADS!

Especially NOT .45 ACP factory ammo!

Upon adoption of cordite it was found that the Mks I through III were simply not up to even low pressure smokeless rounds.

The Mk IV was marginal for use with smokeless, while the Mks V and VI were suitable for use with smokeless rounds loaded to .455 pressures.

The sad truth is that NONE of the Webley revolvers, even the massive (and very tough looking) .Mk VI is suitable for use with .45 ACP ammunition, or ammunition loaded to .45 ACP pressures.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old March 4, 2011, 12:26 PM   #3
Webleymkv

As usual, Mike Irwin is correct. If you wish to shoot your Mk. II, I'd suggest using black powder to make some light loads in .45 Auto-Rim Cases. A good bullet to use for this is the 250grn Swaged Lead bullets that Reminton makes for the .45 Long Colt Cartridge. These bullets are 250grn so they should shoot reasonably close to POA (original .455 Webley ammo used 262grn bullets), are cheap, and most importantly are the correct .455" diameter.

Personally, I wouldn't worry too much about the grips. Because the gun is shaved, it has already pretty much been reduced from a collector's item to a shooter (observing the above cautions of course). The shaved cylinder affects the value much more than the grips do and, while they're not original, they are quite well done and good looking. If it were mine, I'd load up some ammo, smoke a pipe, and have fun feeling like Dr. Watson.
Old March 4, 2011, 10:40 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

1 04 32 looks to me like a date, and no Mk II's were in British or commonwealth service by 1932. The rest could be a police registry number; maybe someone can hazard a guess on the meaning. (I did a quick Google, but the Bay Ridge Festival for the Arts doesn't seem like an outfit that would be carrying Webleys.)

Jim
Old March 7, 2011, 06:53 PM   #5
kilimanjaro

Those Bay Ridge boys were a tough outfit !

You can get replacement grips and an original .455 cylinder for about $200, or just wait for an original Webley to come along. Your grips are good looking, and probably almost as old as the pistol, I'd leave them alone.

The .455 is a great cartridge to shoot, low recoil, and hard hitting.

The markings sound like armorer's marks, a refit or reconditioning.
Old November 26, 2014, 05:23 PM   #6
Colokeb

My Mark II was engraved dated 1894. Serial number was between 170 and 185, so first production likely 1893 or 1894 is my guess.
Old December 10, 2014, 08:17 PM   #7
A square 10

i would not change that one , it looks nice as is , the changes extend beyond the cylinder shave and grip scales , the finish is changed as well , but its a great looking piece , these were all made before 12/97 so its an antique ,

my webley mkII has similar markings , mine is 1st batallion , leicestershire regiment , 2nd company [1881-1964] and these are the rarest in the series of no1 revolvers ,

Old December 10, 2014, 08:32 PM   #8
Jim Watson

Could have fought the Boers and the Germans both, then.
Old December 11, 2014, 04:45 PM   #9
Mike Irwin
Staff

I'll just reiterate what I said several years ago in this thread...

DO NOT SHOOT IT WITH SMOKELESS POWDER LOADS!

Especially NOT .45 ACP factory ammo!

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old December 12, 2014, 10:43 PM   #10
James K
Member In Memoriam

It has been suggested to me (off line) that the markings could be Jan 1904, with 32 BRFA 26 meaning 32nd Battery, Royal Field Artillery, gun 26. Could be, but usually "Battery" was abbreviated "By" not just B. I am sure the OP would be interested in any other ideas.

Jim
Old December 15, 2014, 01:11 PM   #11
RickB

I have Mk. I with a nearly smooth bore. My grandmother used to keep it next to her bed, loaded with WWII surplus Canadian ammo, but just as well that nobody showed-up unannounced (for all concerned).