The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 30, 2001, 07:58 PM   #1

Building new 1911 commander

I have been looking at either having a new 1911 commander built or buying and then having it customized. I need help with this project. First, as I said before buy new plain jane 1911 or frame and slide, next who do I get the frame and slide from? Next is who do I get to do the customizing. Time is not of the essence so I am not in a hurry.
Old September 30, 2001, 09:34 PM   #2
nrifenbark

Sorry, no anwsers from me -- at least not yet. I am on a similar quest though. I have a Colt LW Commander that has had no modification except light trigger work. I'd like to replace the factory sights with better aftermarket fixed sights and I'd like to remove the plastic trigger and replace it with something better. I contacted SM&A http://www.colt380.com/ and they got back to me by e-mail right away. I may send my Commander to them.
Post whatever you decide and I'd like to see what you do with this project.
Old September 30, 2001, 10:01 PM   #3
gunny6

Why not look for a 1991A1 Colt Commander, you can get them in blue or stainless for $500-$550..then you have a nice pistol you can shoot while you decide how you wish to finish it too your taste, and even do it a little at a time...
Old October 1, 2001, 11:21 PM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I'd look for an older Commander, if the idea is customizing. Heck, even one with a poor finish and generally tired-looking. That way, after the modifications are made, only one good hot-blue is needed to make it like-new.

You might consider buying Hallock's paperback book on the 1911. While you may not want to do much of the work yourself, there are a lot of easily-learned, easily done "chores" that he explains quite thoroughly. One thing about that old Colt: It's a piece of cake to fix up, for somebody who's halfway patient and competent.

$0.02,

Art