The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old April 6, 2008, 02:07 PM   #1
veeref

Newbie SBR questions...

Newbie SBR questions here, so please bear with me:

I'm looking to possibly SBR my USC as part of my UMP conversion. The only thing holding my back is the off-chance I move to a non-SBR friendly state, can I un-SBR my USC?

Also, if I do SBR, I was going to finish my living-trust using (don't laugh) Suzie Orman's kit. It reccomends naming your trust 'Joe Smith & Jane Smith Living Trust.' Do you guys have other suggestions on naming your trust? Does it matter? What do I put in my Form 1 and what would be an acceptable engraving for my SBR, because obviously I can't engrave 24 letters in one line in the name of my trust?

Thanks a lot for the help!

Regards,
~V
Old April 6, 2008, 04:41 PM   #2
VUPDblue

You can write to BATFE and request that your SBR be returned to title I status. Then you simply put a 16" or longer barrel on and you're good to go. As far as naming your trust, the most common is your name + trust. Mine is the Nick A. Wroblewski Revokable Living Trust. My engraving reads:
"N.A. Wroblewski Trust
Indy, IN"
What's required as far as engraving is name, city and state. You can abbreviate (to an extent) your name (first innitials are OK) and your city (notice I used Indy for Indianapolis). Another example is Olympic arms abbreviating Olympia, WA as "Oly, WA" on some receivers.
Old April 11, 2008, 01:59 PM   #3
veeref

Thanks, that helps a lot. I can do the engraving before I get my Form 1 approved and send it off to get SBR'd correct?

Regards,
~V
Old April 12, 2008, 07:54 PM   #4
jerryd

Check with ATF just read in another forum if you are just changing uppers no engraving is needed!!!!! Think it was GT NFA section.
Old April 12, 2008, 09:46 PM   #5
VUPDblue

Quote:
Check with ATF just read in another forum if you are just changing uppers no engraving is needed
That is 100% wrong. If you Form1 a firearm into an SBR, you must engrave your name, city and state on an acceptable place on that firearm because you are now the "manufacturer" of that NFA firearm.

ETA: I just read every thread over at Glock Talk in the NFA section, and I can find no mention of this...